    panel.

    Thanks,
    James
    James, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Andrew Thompson, Sep 26, 2007

  3. James

    Roedy Green Guest

    >I want to write a function that toggles left/right hand mouse
    >settings. I was wondering how Windows XP does this using control
    >panel.

    Chances are it does it by talking to the mouse driver. I would
    suggest sniffing about in C++ mouse control and mouse driver docs.
    Solve it in C++ then write some JNI to let you do it from Java.
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Sep 26, 2007
  4. James

    James Guest

    On Sep 26, 12:46 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > >I want to write a function that toggles left/right hand mouse
    > >settings. I was wondering how Windows XP does this using control
    > >panel.

    > Chances are it does it by talking to the mouse driver. I would
    > suggest sniffing about in C++ mouse control and mouse driver docs.
    > Solve it in C++ then write some JNI to let you do it from Java.http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html
    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    k thx for the advice, ill go looking. do you think there will be a way
    to write a universal function for all drivers or just settle for
    personal use?

    Thanks,
    James
    James, Sep 26, 2007
  5. James

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:24:14 -0000, James <>

    >k thx for the advice, ill go looking. do you think there will be a way
    >to write a universal function for all drivers or just settle for
    >personal use?

    If Microsoft has even a shred of sanity, they would have defined the
    basic mouse interface that all mouse companies must implement. The
    vendor might extend it. Switching left and right can be done so
    easily in software, surely it should be part of the standard API.

    The problem is every OS would have its own mouse driver interface, so
    you have to resolve the problem separately for Linux, Solaris, etc.

    Java Web Start has a neat feature to use the correct jar full of
    native code for the given platform. Your program does not need to do
    anything to select the correct code.
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html
    Roedy Green, Sep 26, 2007