Mouse Settings

James

Hey,

I want to write a function that toggles left/right hand mouse
settings. I was wondering how Windows XP does this using control
panel.

Thanks,
James

Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green

I want to write a function that toggles left/right hand mouse
settings. I was wondering how Windows XP does this using control
panel.
Chances are it does it by talking to the mouse driver. I would
suggest sniffing about in C++ mouse control and mouse driver docs.
Solve it in C++ then write some JNI to let you do it from Java.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html

James

Chances are it does it by talking to the mouse driver. I would
suggest sniffing about in C++ mouse control and mouse driver docs.
Solve it in C++ then write some JNI to let you do it from Java.http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html

k thx for the advice, ill go looking. do you think there will be a way
to write a universal function for all drivers or just settle for
personal use?

Thanks,
James

Roedy Green

k thx for the advice, ill go looking. do you think there will be a way
to write a universal function for all drivers or just settle for
personal use?

If Microsoft has even a shred of sanity, they would have defined the
basic mouse interface that all mouse companies must implement. The
vendor might extend it. Switching left and right can be done so
easily in software, surely it should be part of the standard API.

The problem is every OS would have its own mouse driver interface, so
you have to resolve the problem separately for Linux, Solaris, etc.

Java Web Start has a neat feature to use the correct jar full of
native code for the given platform. Your program does not need to do
anything to select the correct code.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html