Mouseover and print and screen shot

bdy120602

Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
If so, how?

Thanks,

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
If so, how?

Using the pointing device for the rollover and the keyboard for the screen
shot (Windows: Print oder Alt+Print). I'm not sure about printing, but
there is a shortcut for this as well (usually Ctrl+P); or they could print
the screen shot.

For Firefox, ScreenGrab! provides advanced screen shot options. ScreenGrab!
is written in JavaScript[tm] and uses Gecko components which might give you
some idea how to accomplish this in a controlled environment.

Anything else is not possible with scripting, at least not cross-browser.

PointedEars

bdy120602

Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
If so, how?

Using the pointing device for the rollover and the keyboard for the screen
shot (Windows: Print oder Alt+Print).  I'm not sure about printing, but
there is a shortcut for this as well (usually Ctrl+P); or they could print
the screen shot.

For Firefox, ScreenGrab! provides advanced screen shot options.  ScreenGrab!
is written in JavaScript[tm] and uses Gecko components which might give you
some idea how to accomplish this in a controlled environment.

Anything else is not possible with scripting, at least not cross-browser.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)

OK, yes, I should have made it clear that I wanted to do it through
scripting. So, my question is, can I do the aforementioned via script?
When you say cross-browser, do you mean, for IE but not for Firefox,
or for Firefox but not for IE, or do you mean not at the script-level?
Can you set a control for the page to perform an action, which in this
case would be to make visible the rollover text, when a combination of
keys are pressed, or when one key is pressed. Say, when someone
presses "print screen" or ctrl+ p? Thanks

Thanks,

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas said:
Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
If so, how?
Using the pointing device for the rollover and the keyboard for the screen
shot (Windows: Print oder Alt+Print). I'm not sure about printing, but
there is a shortcut for this as well (usually Ctrl+P); or they could print
the screen shot.

For Firefox, ScreenGrab! provides advanced screen shot options. ScreenGrab!
is written in JavaScript[tm] and uses Gecko components which might give you
some idea how to accomplish this in a controlled environment.

Anything else is not possible with scripting, at least not cross-browser.
[...]

OK, yes, I should have made it clear that I wanted to do it through
scripting. So, my question is, can I do the aforementioned via script?

Depends. See above.
When you say cross-browser, do you mean, for IE but not for Firefox,
or for Firefox but not for IE,
Yes.

or do you mean not at the script-level?

Scripting alone cannot do it, you can only use it to use an API that can
do it. Like the Gecko (XPCOM) components I mentioned before. However, they
are not available from within the sandbox without requesting further privileges.
Can you set a control for the page to perform an action, which in this
case would be to make visible the rollover text, when a combination of
keys are pressed, or when one key is pressed. Say, when someone
presses "print screen" or ctrl+ p? Thanks

It is possible to recognize if PrintScr or Ctrl+P were used in Firefox, and
Ctrl+P in IE. Then, in the keyboard event listener, you can make the text
visible. However, for Ctrl+P I suggest you use a print stylesheet instead.

See e.g. http://www.brain4.de/programmierecke/js/tastatur.php for the test
case and the source code.

Please trim your quotes.

PointedEars

bdy120602

Please trim your quotes.

When you say trim quotes, do you mean do what I did in this message:
only using the quote relevant to my post rather than the entire
previous discussion? I haven't been using discussion groups as a
resource for a long time and as frequently as one might think, so this
question is not sarcastic in any way.

Thanks again for all the info. you've provided

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

When you say trim quotes, do you mean do what I did in this message:
only using the quote relevant to my post rather than the entire
previous discussion?

Exactly, but while trimming please keep the attribution line. It is
important for assigning a quoted text to its author, thus making it
possible even for the casual reader to follow the discussion easily.
I haven't been using discussion groups as a resource for a long time
and as frequently as one might think, so this question is not sarcastic
in any way.

The FAQ and FAQ Notes of this newsgroup, among other Usenet manuals, provide
further information regarding this subject:

http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_3
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/clj_posts.html

I would also like to suggest you either "Subscribe" to this newsgroup in
Google Groups, allowing you to post under your real name, or to use a
locally installed newsreader application instead to facilitate this, which
would provide even more benefits to you and your readers (GG's Web interface
has a number of nasty bugs and is frequently used by spammers, therefore
subject to user's filter rules). For the latter, I can recommend Mozilla
Thunderbird (which I am using now) or KNode (which I have used before).

http://getthunderbird.com/
http://kontact.kde.org/knode/
Thanks again for all the info. you've provided

You are welcome.

Regards,

PointedEars