Mouseover Popup Displaying RSS or XML feed

Scotty

Hey,

I'm trying to do something funky... Check out this example

http://www.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

If you mouseover a movie, you will see a nice looking popup with info.
I would like to do the same thing only with rss feeds on a text link.
(not sure if this is possible)

I pulled down every .js, .html, .css from their site and I am trying to
figure out what they are doing... I am a novice at javascript, but I
can hack and slash pretty well.

Can someone point me to some nice code examples? Or post some here?

Thanks,

Scotty

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Scotty said:
I'm trying to do something funky... Check out this example

http://www.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

If you mouseover a movie, you will see a nice looking popup with info.
I would like to do the same thing only with rss feeds on a text link.
(not sure if this is possible)

I pulled down every .js, .html, .css from their site and I am trying to
figure out what they are doing... I am a novice at javascript, but I
can hack and slash pretty well.

Or maybe you are not nearly as good as you think. It took me only _seconds_
to find out that they use the `onmouseover' event handler to call

dB(event, this)

(using Firefox's "View Selection Source") and find (pretty-printed)

function dB(evt,link)
{
BobManager.dB(evt,link);
}

and (pretty printed)

dB: function(evt, _177, _178)
{
if (!window.d_bobMS || d_bobMS==-1
|| this.readyState==BobManager.STATE_ASLEEP)
{
return;
}

if (this.hideBobTimer
&& this.triggerElement
&& this.triggerElement == _177)
{
clearTimeout(this.hideBobTimer);
this.hideBobTimer = null;
return;
}

this.mouseCoord = getMouseCoordinates(evt);
this.detach();
this.triggerElement = _177;
this.href = _177.href || _177.parentNode.href;

if (arguments.length == 3)
{
this.boxshotState = _178;
}
else
{
this.boxshotState = BobManager.BOXSHOT_STATE_DEFAULT;
}

this.attach();
var _179 = this.getMovieID();
var _180 = this;
var _181 = function()
{
_180.display(_179);
};
this.showBobTimer = setTimeout(_181, d_bobMS);
}

in <URL:http://www.netflix.com/layout/jscript/domutil.js?v=2006030900>.

The rest of finding out how this works is left as an exercise to the reader.

PointedEars

Scotty

Ok... I guess I didn't clarify enough. I was able to find out exactly
what you did.

Getting it to work is another story. This is where I am having a
problem... any other hints you could provide?

Thanks,

Scotty

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Scotty said:
Ok... I guess I didn't clarify enough. I was able to find out exactly
what you did.

Whereas for me the Web Developer extension for Firefox was of great help :)
Getting it to work is another story. This is where I am having a
problem... any other hints you could provide?

Funny, I was about to ask you the same question.

<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_3>
<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_43>

That said, you are not allowed to copy code from somewhere and reuse it
without the author's explicit permission. This has been clarified here
not long ago (search the archives and the Web for "Berne Convention").

PointedEars