mouseover to show image in center

Richard

www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map1.html

considering the above image, I have mapped out the chevrons so that when you
move your mouse over them, they become a link.
My idea is to show a different image in the center ring for each chevron.
Which will also be compounded by more embedded links within that center
image.

So how do I create that effect? I now I should possibly use layers for a
smoother transisition.
I saw it done in one website just the other day but the source code was to
jumbled up to see how they did it.

Also need an image editing program which will crop images in a circular
fashion.
thanks for any kloos.