    hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do that?

    Thanks,

    Scott

    Scott Cadreau, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Scott Cadreau wrote:

    > I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a user
    > hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

    There are tooltips in the Knoppix Web site:

    http://www.knoppix.org/

    Try hovering over the menu or flags, for example. There is also the
    possibility of changing nicetitles to fit your needs, e.g.:

    http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/nicetitle/

    You might have to get mouse coordinates and check if they fit within a
    rectangle.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Scott Cadreau

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Mar 22, 2005
  4. "Scott Cadreau" <> wrote:

    > I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a
    > user hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do
    > that?

    Don't.

    First write your page so that it works in any mode of use, including
    speech, Braille, text-only, and even different graphic renderings
    (in any resolution and window or paper width), and naturally gets
    indexed well by indexing robots.

    Then come back and post the URL, and tell what optional enhancements
    you might wish to add, to be experienced by some groups of people.

    Most techniques for "bubbles" or something similar work poorly and
    typically mess things up in the many environments where the techniques
    (such as title attributes, CSS, or JavaScript) don't work. Even expert
    advice on such matters is usually faulty: experts fall in love with
    their pet techniques and tricks. As an example, here's how the start of
    Eric Meyer's page http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
    (which Mark Parnell mentioned) works on a text browser (which "sees"
    the page much the same way as a search engine does):

    Home The main page of the site-- a jumping-off point, as it were--
    and not actually a picture of our house Links A collection of things
    which interest me, and might interest you Away Who knows? Could be
    anywhere; you clicks the link and you takes your chances! Eric He's
    been called "an internationally recognized expert," but then he's
    also been called a "techno-fascist" Kat She cooks fabulous meals, she
    throws great parties, she helps women deliver their babies-- what
    can't she do? Other Inevitably, there's stuff that doesn't fit in
    with other stuff, so we stuffed it all into this page of random stuff

    It's all one pseudo-paragraph (a div), with grotesquely long link
    texts. If Eric gets it so wrong, how miserably would most of us fail in
    trying that at home?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 22, 2005
  5. Scott Cadreau

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > If Eric gets it so wrong, how miserably would most of us fail in
    > trying that at home?

    Eric's not bad at CSS, but he's a dolt at HTML.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 22, 2005
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >>I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a
    >>user hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do
    >>that?

    > Don't.

    Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
    on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
    ban everything but plain old text.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Scott Cadreau

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Scott Cadreau wrote:

    > I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a user
    > hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do that?

    Use title attributes.

    <P title="Hello world">Blah blah blah</P>

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

    Philip Ronan, Mar 22, 2005
  8. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >>>I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a
    >>>user hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do
    >>>that?

    >> Don't.

    > Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
    > on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
    > ban everything but plain old text.

    Use an RSS Aggregator more often then. Design doesn't matter anymore.
    Content does.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Mar 23, 2005
  9. Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>Don't.

    >>Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
    >>on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
    >>ban everything but plain old text.

    > Use an RSS Aggregator more often then. Design doesn't matter anymore.
    > Content does.

    I just find extreme views (from either side of the argument) really
    dumb. The web is gray, not black and white.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Mar 23, 2005
  10. Scott Cadreau

    R2G2 Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 04:45:34 -0500, Travis Newbury <>
    wrote:

    >>>Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
    >>>on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
    >>>ban everything but plain old text.

    >> Use an RSS Aggregator more often then. Design doesn't matter anymore.
    >> Content does.

    >I just find extreme views (from either side of the argument) really
    >dumb. The web is gray, not black and white.

    Full color from where I'm viewing it ;-)

    --
    Beccy

    Bec but...

    R2G2, Mar 23, 2005