Move table's border line up

Fulio Open

Please open the following web page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html

You can see the border of the table is far down from the last line of
text above it. This is not my intention. I think that the situation
became what it is because I tried to place the foreign symbols in
position. I like to move the border line up, and have tried several
ways. All are failed. If anyone has the solution, please teach.

Thanks a million.

fulio pen

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
Fulio Open said:
Please open the following web page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html

You can see the border of the table is far down from the last line of
text above it. This is not my intention. I think that the situation
became what it is because I tried to place the foreign symbols in
position. I like to move the border line up, and have tried several
ways. All are failed. If anyone has the solution, please teach.

Why not simply:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/diac.html>

Jukka K. Korpela

Fulio said:
How
are the up-side-down circumflex sign (^) and the 'i' without the dot
on the top were directly entered to plain text editor?

It depends on the editor and other software, like keyboard driver, as well
as the physical keyboard. There are dozens (well, hundreds) of different
ways. On my current keyboard, with its current settings, I would type e.g.
AltGr+I to produce a dotless i, but your mileage surely varies.

But are you sure you want to use such characters as tone marks? Why not
write zhû instead of zhu^ and zháo instead of zhao´ (or zhao followed by the
PRIME character, which is really something different - it's primarily a
technical and mathematical symbol, for things like foot - as a unit -,
minute - of angle, occasionally of time as well - and first derivative, not
a tone mark)?

If you decide to use accents on letters (e.g., á and û), rather than
accent-like spacing symbols after a letter, then there are two different
approaches:
1) Use precomposed characters, e.g. "á" as a single character.
2) Use combining diacritics, e.g. "a" followed by a combining acute accent.
See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#compose for more info.

I'd suggest option 2, partly because I gather that not quite all pinyin
characters exist as precomposed (I'm thinking of ü + tone mark
combinations). In this approach, if you write pinyin with tone marks a lot,
it probably pays off to design a keyboard driver that lets you produce
combining diacritic marks directly, e.g. so that a key for apostrophe
produces combining acute accent etc.

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
Fulio Open said:
It is really wonderful. Thanks a lot. May I ask more questions? How
are the up-side-down circumflex sign (^) and the 'i' without the dot
on the top were directly entered to plain text editor? Thanks again.

I copy pasted yours, I save all my text editor html files as
utf-8 and try to serve them that way on the internet.

See Korpela for a remark on other ways to type these things. Ther
are yet other ways using explicit encodings.

One main point about your OQ was the border. A table will shrink
to fit contents if you do not specify widths and lengths. Not
sure why you are using a table? Could not see need for all that
positioning?

Fulio Open

On my current keyboard, with its current settings, I would type e.g.
AltGr+I to produce a dotless i, but your mileage surely varies.
Keyboards in the U.S. don't have the AltGr key. Instead, there are
two Alt keys. So the dotless i cannot be typed directly. It is not
possible to type all other signs associated with the AltGr key,
either.
But are you sure you want to use such characters as tone marks? Why not
write zhû instead of zhu^ and zháo instead of zhao´ (or zhao followed by the
PRIME character, which is really something different - it's primarily a
technical and mathematical symbol, for things like foot - as a unit -,
minute - of angle, occasionally of time as well - and first derivative, not
a tone mark)?

I think zhu^ is better than placing the tone mark on the top of a
letter, because it can to separate neighboring syllables, which is
important for writing a tonal language. The reader needs to see the
syllabic border clear. The symbols I am using also have other usages.
But I hope these usages in different contexts are explicitly defined
in the script .

Jukka K. Korpela

Fulio said:
Keyboards in the U.S. don't have the AltGr key.

Most of them may lack it, but AltGr, when available, is just a more
convenient way of typing Ctrl+Alt. Besides, you can turn your "right Alt" to
AltGr via keyboard driver.
So the dotless i cannot be typed directly.

As I wrote, AltGr+I works for me (and for anyone using modern Finnish
multilingual keyboard layout standard), and your mileage varies. It's a
keyboard driver issue, and anyone can implement a keyboard driver in a few
minutes, after once spending 10 - 20 minutes in learning how to use e.g.
Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.

You can alternatively use character references in HTML, e.g. the dotless i
as ı. But the source surely becomes less readable then.
I think zhu^ is better than placing the tone mark on the top of a
letter,

That's your choice, but the standard method in pinyin is to use a diacritic
on a letter. Other notations, such as a digit or some other spacing symbol
after a letter are often caused by unavailability of diacritic marks -
something that was a relevant consideration even in HTML authoring in the
early days (the 1990s).