Move table's border line up

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fulio Open, Dec 28, 2010.

  1. Fulio Open

    Fulio Open Guest

    Please open the following web page:

    http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html

    You can see the border of the table is far down from the last line of
    text above it. This is not my intention. I think that the situation
    became what it is because I tried to place the foreign symbols in
    position. I like to move the border line up, and have tried several
    ways. All are failed. If anyone has the solution, please teach.

    Thanks a million.

    fulio pen
     
    Fulio Open, Dec 28, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Fulio Open

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    Fulio Open <> wrote:

    > Please open the following web page:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html
    >
    > You can see the border of the table is far down from the last line of
    > text above it. This is not my intention. I think that the situation
    > became what it is because I tried to place the foreign symbols in
    > position. I like to move the border line up, and have tried several
    > ways. All are failed. If anyone has the solution, please teach.


    Why not simply:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/diac.html>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Dec 28, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Fulio Open

    Fulio Open Guest

    On Dec 27, 10:23 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    >  Fulio Open <> wrote:
    >
    > > Please open the following web page:

    >
    > >http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html

    >
    > > You can see the border of the table is far down from the last line of
    > > text above it.  This is not my intention.  I think that the situation
    > > became what it is because  I tried to place the foreign symbols in
    > > position. I like to move the border line up, and have tried several
    > > ways. All are failed. If anyone has the solution, please teach.

    >
    > Why not simply:
    >
    > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/diac.html>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    It is really wonderful. Thanks a lot. May I ask more questions? How
    are the up-side-down circumflex sign (^) and the 'i' without the dot
    on the top were directly entered to plain text editor? Thanks again.

    fulio pen
     
    Fulio Open, Dec 28, 2010
    #3
  4. Fulio Open wrote:

    > How
    > are the up-side-down circumflex sign (^) and the 'i' without the dot
    > on the top were directly entered to plain text editor?


    It depends on the editor and other software, like keyboard driver, as well
    as the physical keyboard. There are dozens (well, hundreds) of different
    ways. On my current keyboard, with its current settings, I would type e.g.
    AltGr+I to produce a dotless i, but your mileage surely varies.

    But are you sure you want to use such characters as tone marks? Why not
    write zhû instead of zhu^ and zháo instead of zhao´ (or zhao followed by the
    PRIME character, which is really something different - it's primarily a
    technical and mathematical symbol, for things like foot - as a unit -,
    minute - of angle, occasionally of time as well - and first derivative, not
    a tone mark)?

    If you decide to use accents on letters (e.g., á and û), rather than
    accent-like spacing symbols after a letter, then there are two different
    approaches:
    1) Use precomposed characters, e.g. "á" as a single character.
    2) Use combining diacritics, e.g. "a" followed by a combining acute accent.
    See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#compose for more info.

    I'd suggest option 2, partly because I gather that not quite all pinyin
    characters exist as precomposed (I'm thinking of ü + tone mark
    combinations). In this approach, if you write pinyin with tone marks a lot,
    it probably pays off to design a keyboard driver that lets you produce
    combining diacritic marks directly, e.g. so that a key for apostrophe
    produces combining acute accent etc.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 28, 2010
    #4
  5. On 28/12/10 02:48, Fulio Open wrote:

    > http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html


    <http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/check?ucn_uri=www.pinyinology.com%2FbottomLine.html&ucn_task=conformance#>

    This reports two HTML and seven CSS errors, and whilst fixing these may
    not solve your problem, they may well help.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
     
    Denis McMahon, Dec 28, 2010
    #5
  6. Fulio Open

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    Fulio Open <> wrote:

    > On Dec 27, 10:23 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > >  Fulio Open <> wrote:


    > > >http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html

    > >
    > > > You can see the border of the table is far down from the last line of
    > > > text above it.  This is not my intention.  I think that the situation
    > > > became what it is because  I tried to place the foreign symbols in
    > > > position. I like to move the border line up, and have tried several
    > > > ways. All are failed. If anyone has the solution, please teach.

    > >
    > > Why not simply:
    > >
    > > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/diac.html>
    > >

    >
    > It is really wonderful. Thanks a lot. May I ask more questions? How
    > are the up-side-down circumflex sign (^) and the 'i' without the dot
    > on the top were directly entered to plain text editor? Thanks again.
    >


    I copy pasted yours, I save all my text editor html files as
    utf-8 and try to serve them that way on the internet.

    See Korpela for a remark on other ways to type these things. Ther
    are yet other ways using explicit encodings.

    One main point about your OQ was the border. A table will shrink
    to fit contents if you do not specify widths and lengths. Not
    sure why you are using a table? Could not see need for all that
    positioning?

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Dec 28, 2010
    #6
  7. Fulio Open

    Fulio Open Guest

    On Dec 28, 10:32 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Fulio Open wrote:
    > > How
    > > are the up-side-down circumflex sign (^) and the 'i' without the dot
    > > on the top were directly entered to plain text editor?

    On my current keyboard, with its current settings, I would type e.g.
    > AltGr+I to produce a dotless i, but your mileage surely varies.
    >

    Keyboards in the U.S. don't have the AltGr key. Instead, there are
    two Alt keys. So the dotless i cannot be typed directly. It is not
    possible to type all other signs associated with the AltGr key,
    either.

    > But are you sure you want to use such characters as tone marks? Why not
    > write zhû instead of zhu^ and zháo instead of zhao´ (or zhao followed by the
    > PRIME character, which is really something different - it's primarily a
    > technical and mathematical symbol, for things like foot - as a unit -,
    > minute - of angle, occasionally of time as well - and first derivative, not
    > a tone mark)?


    I think zhu^ is better than placing the tone mark on the top of a
    letter, because it can to separate neighboring syllables, which is
    important for writing a tonal language. The reader needs to see the
    syllabic border clear. The symbols I am using also have other usages.
    But I hope these usages in different contexts are explicitly defined
    in the script .

    > --
    > Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Fulio Open, Dec 29, 2010
    #7
  8. Fulio Open wrote:

    > Keyboards in the U.S. don't have the AltGr key.


    Most of them may lack it, but AltGr, when available, is just a more
    convenient way of typing Ctrl+Alt. Besides, you can turn your "right Alt" to
    AltGr via keyboard driver.

    > So the dotless i cannot be typed directly.


    As I wrote, AltGr+I works for me (and for anyone using modern Finnish
    multilingual keyboard layout standard), and your mileage varies. It's a
    keyboard driver issue, and anyone can implement a keyboard driver in a few
    minutes, after once spending 10 - 20 minutes in learning how to use e.g.
    Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.

    You can alternatively use character references in HTML, e.g. the dotless i
    as ı. But the source surely becomes less readable then.

    > I think zhu^ is better than placing the tone mark on the top of a
    > letter,


    That's your choice, but the standard method in pinyin is to use a diacritic
    on a letter. Other notations, such as a digit or some other spacing symbol
    after a letter are often caused by unavailability of diacritic marks -
    something that was a relevant consideration even in HTML authoring in the
    early days (the 1990s).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 29, 2010
    #8
  9. Fulio Open

    Fulio Open Guest

    On Dec 28, 11:46 am, Denis McMahon <>
    wrote:
    > On 28/12/10 02:48, Fulio Open wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.pinyinology.com/bottomLine.html

    >
    > <http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/check?ucn_uri=www.pinyinology.com%2Fb....>
    >
    > This reports two HTML and seven CSS errors, and whilst fixing these may
    > not solve your problem, they may well help.
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > Denis McMahon


    Thanks for reminding me. I will make corrections.

    fulio pen
     
    Fulio Open, Dec 29, 2010
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. tshad
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,264
    tshad
    Jan 31, 2005
  2. phl
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    4,352
    Martin Jay
    Jun 8, 2006
  3. UJ
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    61,282
  4. Coder
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    702
    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)
    Jun 24, 2006
  5. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

    =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=, Jul 17, 2006, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    64
    Views:
    3,533
    Adrienne Boswell
    Jul 30, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page