Moving an ASP.NET project to a different computer

Dave

I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and want
to create the project on another computer,

There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from the
memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second computer.

But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
message).

So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.

Thanks
Dave

BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

Curt_C [MVP]

It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
through it from there.

Guest

I guess Curt gave u the most reliable solution.
Although it annoying and a lot of work!

John Saunders

Curt_C said:
It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
through it from there.

For a web application, you need another step. For each web application,
right-click the folder, choose Properties, and then on the Web Sharing tab,
turn on web sharing with the default name on the default web site.
Otherwise, there won't be any http://localhost/MyProject/.

John Saunders

Dave

Thanks guys for the the helpful advice.

Dave

John Saunders said:
For a web application, you need another step. For each web application,
right-click the folder, choose Properties, and then on the Web Sharing tab,
turn on web sharing with the default name on the default web site.
Otherwise, there won't be any http://localhost/MyProject/.

John Saunders

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Hi Dave,

I posted a free tool that helps with this process a couple of weeks ago at:

http://www.west-wind.com/tools/WebSiteConfiguration.asp

Basically when you copy a project you typpically have to do a few things:

Copy the files
Create a virtual directory
Possibly set directory permissions
If the virtual name is different fix the VS.NET project

This utility performs these tasks from a single location with a few simple
clicks and you can store a configuration and fire up the utlity with
defaults preconfigured.

I use this all the time for configuring apps and whenever I ship a sample
projects for publication.

REgards,

+++ Rick ---

--

Rick Strahl
West Wind Technologies

Guest

Rick is it free?

Rick Strahl said:
[...]

This doesn't appear to work in my case.

I create a new project and then go to File | Add Project | Existing Project
and point to my project file.

But then I get the message that it is a web project and I must specify a
URL. But the project does not yet exist in a virtual directory on a web
server; it's in a file folder on a memory stick.

How do I add a web project to an existing solution?

And once I add the project, how do I reference it in a brower? For example,
I created a new project which I can reference as
http://localserver/newproject. To the "newproject solution" I than add my
original project. Is the url for this
http://localserver/newproject/originalproject?.

Is there any way to avoid having the originalproject become a subproject?

John Saunders

Dave said:
This doesn't appear to work in my case.

I create a new project and then go to File | Add Project | Existing
Project and point to my project file.

But then I get the message that it is a web project and I must specify a
URL. But the project does not yet exist in a virtual directory on a web
server; it's in a file folder on a memory stick.

You have to create the virtual directory first. Did you do that? Use the Web
Sharing tab of the Properties on the folder.

John Saunders

Dave

I got the project installed on the web server by:

1. Move project folder under C:\inetpub\wwwroot

2. Make project folder an web appliaction in IIS Manager

3. In Visual Studio open up a project and type in the URL
(http://dell9/myproject/myproject.vbproj)

The project then loads in Visual Studio.

But it did not create a local copy in C:\Documents and Settings\dave\My
Documents\Visual Studio Projects

How can I create a local copy of my web project?

Ravichandran J.V.

Is the .sln file present or are you trying to create a new project? If
the latter, then you will need to look into the .*proj file because the
virtual directory in the first computer may not be in the second one and
so on.

with regards,

J.V.Ravichandran
- http://www.geocities.com/