Moving an ASP.NET project to a different computer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Dave, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and want
    to create the project on another computer,

    There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
    project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from the
    memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second computer.

    But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
    project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
    effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
    message).

    So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
    project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.

    Thanks
    Dave

    BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.
    Dave, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Dave

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
    What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
    solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
    through it from there.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Nov 15, 2004

  3. I guess Curt gave u the most reliable solution.
    Although it annoying and a lot of work!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=, Nov 15, 2004
  4. "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
    > What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
    > solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
    > through it from there.

    For a web application, you need another step. For each web application,
    right-click the folder, choose Properties, and then on the Web Sharing tab,
    turn on web sharing with the default name on the default web site.
    Otherwise, there won't be any http://localhost/MyProject/.

    John Saunders
    John Saunders, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks guys for the the helpful advice.

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Hi Dave,

    I posted a free tool that helps with this process a couple of weeks ago at:

    http://www.west-wind.com/tools/WebSiteConfiguration.asp

    Basically when you copy a project you typpically have to do a few things:

    Copy the files
    Create a virtual directory
    Possibly set directory permissions
    If the virtual name is different fix the VS.NET project

    This utility performs these tasks from a single location with a few simple
    clicks and you can store a configuration and fire up the utlity with
    defaults preconfigured.

    I use this all the time for configuring apps and whenever I ship a sample
    projects for publication.

    REgards,

    +++ Rick ---

    --

    Rick Strahl
    West Wind Technologies

    Rick Strahl [MVP], Nov 16, 2004
  7. Rick is it free?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    This doesn't appear to work in my case.

    I create a new project and then go to File | Add Project | Existing Project
    and point to my project file.

    But then I get the message that it is a web project and I must specify a
    URL. But the project does not yet exist in a virtual directory on a web
    server; it's in a file folder on a memory stick.

    How do I add a web project to an existing solution?

    And once I add the project, how do I reference it in a brower? For example,
    I created a new project which I can reference as
    http://localserver/newproject. To the "newproject solution" I than add my
    original project. Is the url for this
    http://localserver/newproject/originalproject?.

    Is there any way to avoid having the originalproject become a subproject?

    Dave, Nov 16, 2004
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    No. It looks like it costs $99.

    Dave, Nov 16, 2004
  10. "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > This doesn't appear to work in my case.
    >
    > I create a new project and then go to File | Add Project | Existing
    > Project and point to my project file.
    >
    > But then I get the message that it is a web project and I must specify a
    > URL. But the project does not yet exist in a virtual directory on a web
    > server; it's in a file folder on a memory stick.

    You have to create the virtual directory first. Did you do that? Use the Web
    Sharing tab of the Properties on the folder.

    John Saunders
    John Saunders, Nov 16, 2004
  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I got the project installed on the web server by:

    1. Move project folder under C:\inetpub\wwwroot

    2. Make project folder an web appliaction in IIS Manager

    3. In Visual Studio open up a project and type in the URL
    (http://dell9/myproject/myproject.vbproj)

    The project then loads in Visual Studio.

    But it did not create a local copy in C:\Documents and Settings\dave\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects

    How can I create a local copy of my web project?

    Dave, Nov 17, 2004
  12. Is the .sln file present or are you trying to create a new project? If
    the latter, then you will need to look into the .*proj file because the
    virtual directory in the first computer may not be in the second one and
    so on.

    with regards,

    J.V.Ravichandran
    - http://www.geocities.com/