moving applications to Windows, database and all

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ccc31807, Feb 16, 2010.

  1. ccc31807

    ccc31807 Guest

    Several years ago, I wrote a web interface to a database using Linux,
    Apache, Postgres, and Perl. It has proven useful several times, and as
    a result I have moved the application to new Linux machines. It's not
    too difficult to do by hand: create a new user and tar the content of
    the old home directory to the new one, create a sym link in the
    document root pointing to the web content, configure httpd.conf and
    start Apache, import the schema into the database and start the
    database server, and it's done.

    Recently I've had the experience of moving the application to a
    Windows server (using Apache and MySQL) it it was difficult enough for
    me to wish for some kind of installer file. I have to actually install
    Apache and MySQL on the server since they don't come natively with
    Windows Since I anticipate having to do this again in the near future,
    I'm wondering how I could create an automated solution to install and
    configure Apache and MySQL, copy the files, and do the configuration
    in one step.

    Is this possible with Perl?

    Also, this is beginning to be a commercial enterprise (i.e., I will
    charge for the application) so does this have any implications for
    MySQL?

    Thanks, CC.

    ccc31807, Feb 16, 2010

  2. ccc31807

    QoS Guest

    ccc31807 <> wrote in message-id: <>

    > Several years ago, I wrote a web interface to a database using Linux,
    > Apache, Postgres, and Perl. It has proven useful several times, and as
    > a result I have moved the application to new Linux machines. It's not
    > too difficult to do by hand: create a new user and tar the content of
    > the old home directory to the new one, create a sym link in the
    > document root pointing to the web content, configure httpd.conf and
    > start Apache, import the schema into the database and start the
    > database server, and it's done.
    >
    > Recently I've had the experience of moving the application to a
    > Windows server (using Apache and MySQL) it it was difficult enough for
    > me to wish for some kind of installer file. I have to actually install
    > Apache and MySQL on the server since they don't come natively with
    > Windows Since I anticipate having to do this again in the near future,
    > I'm wondering how I could create an automated solution to install and
    > configure Apache and MySQL, copy the files, and do the configuration
    > in one step.
    >
    > Is this possible with Perl?
    >
    > Also, this is beginning to be a commercial enterprise (i.e., I will
    > charge for the application) so does this have any implications for
    > MySQL?
    >
    > Thanks, CC.

    apachefriends.org has a installer like this; check out XAMPP.

    QoS, Feb 17, 2010