Moving beyond the SOAP-based stock quote web service....

Discussion in 'XML' started by plato399, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. plato399

    plato399 Guest

    I apologize upfront if this newsgroup isn't the correct place for this
    question, but it seems to be the most appropriate place.

    My question is surrounding XML-based web services. I'm trying to get a
    read on some *real world* use-cases for the Service Oriented
    Architecture in terms of WSDL,SOAP, etc...

    I understand all of the concepts and have downloaded some of the
    infrastructures (.NET, Apache,etc) and set up the uninteresting "stock
    quote" or "ping" web service. I understand the concept of decoupling
    functions in to many distributed objects. I understand the potential
    of these technologies, but I am interested in some tangible use-cases.

    For the life of me, however, I am unable to find a core of developers
    who are actually using this technology in the real world. All I see
    are toy services (e.g. www.xmethods.com is a great example of toys).

    Is anyone out there actually developing web services that fulfills a
    viable business case and not just doing them for fun?

    It is becoming impossible for me to cut through the hype out there and
    get down to what is really happening.

    Please enlighten....

    Kind Regards,

    plato399

    plato399, Apr 15, 2004

  2. plato399

    Tim Anderson Guest

    "plato399" <> wrote in message

    > Is anyone out there actually developing web services that fulfills a
    > viable business case and not just doing them for fun?
    >
    > It is becoming impossible for me to cut through the hype out there and
    > get down to what is really happening.

    You might like to see my recent interview with IBM:

    http://www.itwriting.com/ibmwebservices.php

    It is hype of a kind I suppose, but gives you some of the rationale behind
    web services.

    Tim

    Tim Anderson, Apr 16, 2004