Moving beyond the SOAP-based stock quote web service....

plato399

I apologize upfront if this newsgroup isn't the correct place for this
question, but it seems to be the most appropriate place.

My question is surrounding XML-based web services. I'm trying to get a
read on some *real world* use-cases for the Service Oriented
Architecture in terms of WSDL,SOAP, etc...

I understand all of the concepts and have downloaded some of the
infrastructures (.NET, Apache,etc) and set up the uninteresting "stock
quote" or "ping" web service. I understand the concept of decoupling
functions in to many distributed objects. I understand the potential
of these technologies, but I am interested in some tangible use-cases.

For the life of me, however, I am unable to find a core of developers
who are actually using this technology in the real world. All I see
are toy services (e.g. www.xmethods.com is a great example of toys).

Is anyone out there actually developing web services that fulfills a
viable business case and not just doing them for fun?

It is becoming impossible for me to cut through the hype out there and
get down to what is really happening.

Please enlighten....

Kind Regards,

plato399

Tim Anderson

Is anyone out there actually developing web services that fulfills a
viable business case and not just doing them for fun?

It is becoming impossible for me to cut through the hype out there and
get down to what is really happening.

You might like to see my recent interview with IBM:

http://www.itwriting.com/ibmwebservices.php

It is hype of a kind I suppose, but gives you some of the rationale behind
web services.

Tim