Moving from IIS6 to IIS7 and it won't load

David Thielen

So we have moved our app from .NET version 2.X in IIS6 to a Windows
2008 Server running IIS7.

We have copied all files to the Windwardreports\apps directory and
that apps directory has been converted to an application running in
..NET 2.X and Integrated mode.

We copied over the DB and edited the web.config file to the DB
username and password. I also added the NETWORK SERVICE user to the
DB.

We checked all DLL’s to make sure they are all AnyCpu and they are.

We have added the below registry entry to get more info but none is
given. These are the core DLLs the store is using to run and I think
it just picked Apache.Crimson because it is the first of the 12 that
it needs.

This file does exist in both the store\lib and store\bin directories
so I am not sure why it cannot find it.

The trust level on the apps dir in IIS7 is set to Full Internal so
that should not be an issue.

Any idea why we get the below?

thanks - dave

Upon opening the webpage for the first time I always get this error:

Server Error in '/apps' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'Apache.Crimson' or one of its
dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect
format.

Exception Details: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file
or assembly 'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt
was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

Source Error:

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to
determine why the assembly 'Apache.Crimson' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===

LOG: User = NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

LOG: DisplayName = Apache.Crimson

(Partial)

LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/inetpub/wwwroot/windwardreports/apps/

LOG: Initial PrivatePath = C:\inetpub\wwwroot\windwardreports\apps\bin

Calling assembly : (Unknown).

===

LOG: This bind starts in default load context.

LOG: Using application configuration file:
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\windwardreports\apps\web.config

LOG: Using host configuration file:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Aspnet.config

LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private,
custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary
ASP.NET Files/apps/56321f29/7ad90c14/Apache.Crimson.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary
ASP.NET
Files/apps/56321f29/7ad90c14/Apache.Crimson/Apache.Crimson.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/inetpub/wwwroot/windwardreports/apps/bin/Apache.Crimson.DLL.

ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x8007000b). Probing
terminated.

Stack Trace:

[BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String
codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
forIntrospection) +0

System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection) +465

System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection) +181

System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +42

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String
assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +190

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String
assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +3642952

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory()
+402

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo
ai) +155

System.Web.Configuration.AssemblyInfo.get_AssemblyInternal() +36

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection
compConfig) +235

System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler..ctor(VirtualPath
configPath, Boolean supportLocalization, String outputAssemblyName)
+76

System.Web.Compilation.CodeDirectoryCompiler.GetCodeDirectoryAssembly(VirtualPath
virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet
excludedSubdirectories, Boolean isDirectoryAllowed) +2945079

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectory(VirtualPath
virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet
excludedSubdirectories) +204

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectories() +615

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()
+739

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException()
+79

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()
+2944472

System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager
appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory
configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
+1163

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context)
+2740375

System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context)
+88

System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
+2740285

david@[email protected]
Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
me -- http://dave.thielen.com

David Thielen

More on this - we got it working by doing the following:

1) In the application pools right clicking and then selecting Set
Application Pool Defaults

2) Setting Enable 32-bit Applications to True

The thing is, we have all AnyCpu DLLs - why is this happening?

thanks - dave

[...]

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Regarding on the two changes you've made below:

======================
1) In the application pools right clicking and then selecting Set
Application Pool Defaults

2) Setting Enable 32-bit Applications to True
=======================

I think the 2) should be the critical one. Maybe something in your web
application is specific to 32 bit runtime. For the 'Apache.Crimson" , is it
a pure .net assembly or unmanaged win32 dll. Or does it have any other
depedency assemblies whch is specfici to 32 bit environment?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).