Moving / minimizing web parts causes server postback

Derek Sanderson

Why does minimizing or moving a web part around cause a server postback. Is
there a way to turn this off? I see no reason why it shouldnt be on the
client side.

Also, when a Window is minimized, the page_load (for that particular
control) and all other onload / onit methods for controls within the webpart
are also called. If the user can't see the stuff on the screen, what point
does it make to initialize it?

If the web part doesn't postback, I can understand rendering the guts of the
control.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Derek

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi Derek, take a look at my custom web control "Dotnetbox.Web". Even though
currently I have not made it to replace webparts since theres a lot more to
webparts than just customizing content, you might want to take a look.
Even though this does not answer your webparts inquiry, it does give you an
alternative. In effect my control handles all this dynamically on the client
for browsers that support rich dhtml and will only cause a postback like
webparts in downlevel mode. If the page had to be refreshed or a postback
happens then the control continues to remember its news positions and state
as you drag, move, resize, minimize, maximize, close etc...

I'm including a short description below :
Dotnetbox.Web lets you drag and move content on Web pages just as if you
were on the VS.NET Forms designer surface. Dotnetbox.Web is an ASP.NET web
control, which acts as a frame, intended for adding and grouping Web
controls or just plain HTML content for the purpose of easily managing ...
more on http://www.dotnetbox.com

Alessandro Zifiglio

http://www.dotnetbox.com