moving pages and site structure

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Thies, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    I'm making sites that have the page paths follow their navigation
    structure, so a page that falls here in the navigation:

    Section 2
    Subsection 3
    Page 1

    would have this url:

    /section_2/subsection_3/page_1.html

    That seems logical to me.

    So the questions is what happens if the site structure gets changed and
    Page 1 gets moved to Section 3?

    I used to leave the page path the sames but lately I've been changing
    the page path to reflect the hierarchy:

    /section_3/page_1.html

    That seems more logical but presents the problem of bookmarked pages.

    Rearranging sites is common, how do you handle this? (this is all CMS of
    of my design)

    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 06:36:26 GMT, Jeff Thies <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > So the questions is what happens if the site structure gets changed and
    > Page 1 gets moved to Section 3?

    Make sure the server sends the appropriate HTTP status code when the old
    page is requested. In this case I would think 301 - Moved Permanently
    would be appropriate.

    In an ideal world, the browser would automatically update its bookmarks
    when it received a 301 to reflect the change, but no browser actually
    does that AFAIK.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies wrote:
    > I used to leave the page path the sames but lately I've been changing
    > the page path to reflect the hierarchy:
    >
    > /section_3/page_1.html
    >
    > That seems more logical but presents the problem of bookmarked pages.

    Use a server-side redirect from the old location to the new one.
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/97/13/index4a.html?tw=backend
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 15, 2004