Moving pointers backwards and forwards

cman

What are the issues involved in using pointers to move forward and
backward strings and other data types? How do you include effeciency,
security and manageability?

cman

santosh

cman said:
What are the issues involved in using pointers to move forward and
backward strings and other data types?

None, if you know what you're doing.
How do you include effeciency,
security and manageability?

What makes pointers mutually exclusive with efficiency, security and
all the rest of it?

Keith Thompson

cman said:
What are the issues involved in using pointers to move forward and
backward strings and other data types? How do you include effeciency,
security and manageability?

How many points is this homework question worth? What is your
instructor's e-mail address, so we can submit our answers directly?

Eric Sosman

cman wrote On 03/02/07 15:30,:
What are the issues involved in using pointers to move forward and
backward strings and other data types?

1) When moving forward, you may step one place beyond
the end of the array but no farther.

1a) Having reached the place just after the array, you
must not attempt to read or write that non-existent spot.

2) When moving backward, you must not step beyond the
beginning of the array. Note that this produces an asymmetry
in the way forward-stepping and backward-stepping loops are
written.
How do you include effeciency,
security and manageability?

Exactly as you do with `int' and `double' and `struct tm'.

cman

This was not a homework question.

cman

--