    automatically or is it a manual process?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    TIA - Jeff.
    Mufasa, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Mufasa

    sloan Guest

    One method

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171452(VS.80).aspx

    MSBuild.

    You probably need to figure out what your goals are, and give a little more
    direction on what you want to have in the end.

    Are you making the "super jump".... or do you need build up...with a simple
    starting point.

    sloan, Dec 10, 2007

  3. If you are talking about ASP.NET, all you really need to do is:
    1) ensure that what you are moving is a Release build.
    2) ensure that the debug ="false" directive is present in web.config
    3) Copy over the files and the /bin folder.

    Most places I've worked we've instituted a "Smoke test" prior to production
    deployment. Usually its an Excel spreadsheet that tests everthing in the
    application and you mark "pass" or "fail" in the last column. the project mgr
    signs off on it, you copy the app to production, give it a test, and you're
    done.

    Thats not complicated, requires no special software, and seems to work just
    fine.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Dec 10, 2007
  4. Mufasa

    sloan Guest

    I actually use this more simple model as well , 90% of the time.

    This post:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework/msg/1f2a4acce0d9c77c

    shows a trick I use to get release-build stuff, without going through the
    GUI. via a .bat file.
    But its essentially the same thing. Build in release mode.....
    I actually never copy my web.config file....to a staging or production
    server....you might even include web.config in the exclude.txt file. (This
    is how I ensure the debug=false setting stays correct).

    But again, this is the simple approach...there are many steps between simple
    and super-duper MSBuild level...so throw out some goals.

    sloan, Dec 10, 2007
  5. How do you catch things like:

    1. Connection strings are different for test and production.
    2. Some page uses a 3rd party control that isn't installed on the production
    server.
    3. Some code uses an assembly that isn't present on the production server
    (e.g. the zip library from vjslib.dll).
    4. Firewall issues (if test is inside the firewall and production is in
    DMZ).

    We've tried to mitigate these problems by using the same server for "test"
    and "production" (just a different web site on the same server) and by never
    copying web.config (we make changes manually, if necessary).

    I'm just wondering if there is a better way. I guess I'm also saying that
    it's not always as easy as "1, 2, 3".

    Scott Roberts, Dec 10, 2007