Moving to a specific record with a gridview and datasource

fig000

Hi,

I'd like to use a gridview and add a search function. What this
would do is take the search value (could be a fragment or the whole
string) and find the first instance of this in the entire sorted
dataset in the datasource bound to the gridview. Rather than
filtering, I'd like to leave the datasource as it is and move the
correct page in the gridview that contains this "first instance"
record. To do this I have to get to the underlying data and search for
this record to find out which gridview page it would be on.

I've tried getting the default datasourceview from the datasource
that the gridview is bound to (it's bound declaritively using the
datasourceid). I can isolate the datasourceview but I can't seem to
get to the actual data in that view. It seems there are no exposed
properties to do this. I've gotten the impression from a number of web
pages that programmers are not supposed to use access the underlying
data of a datasource; it's there for the rich datacontrols to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fig