Moving to a specific record with a gridview and datasource

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by fig000, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. fig000

    fig000 Guest

    Hi,

    I'd like to use a gridview and add a search function. What this
    would do is take the search value (could be a fragment or the whole
    string) and find the first instance of this in the entire sorted
    dataset in the datasource bound to the gridview. Rather than
    filtering, I'd like to leave the datasource as it is and move the
    correct page in the gridview that contains this "first instance"
    record. To do this I have to get to the underlying data and search for
    this record to find out which gridview page it would be on.

    I've tried getting the default datasourceview from the datasource
    that the gridview is bound to (it's bound declaritively using the
    datasourceid). I can isolate the datasourceview but I can't seem to
    get to the actual data in that view. It seems there are no exposed
    properties to do this. I've gotten the impression from a number of web
    pages that programmers are not supposed to use access the underlying
    data of a datasource; it's there for the rich datacontrols to use.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Fig
    fig000, Jun 22, 2007