moving VS.NET projects from one machine to another

Stimp

How do you copy a vs.net project from one computer to another?

Here are the steps I tried, but it failed...

- Copied project directory from wwwroot of source to wwwroot on
destination (e.g. 'MyProj')

- Went into IIS and created a virtual directory called 'MyProj'
(although in IIS the folder 'MyProj' was appering too which it doesn't
in the source computer's IIS)

- Tried to run it, but it wouldn't work.

This was about a month ago so I don't remember the exact errors. What I
had to do to get it to run was CREATE A NEW PROJECT and copy the files
into the new project!

James

Define "wouldn't work". What version of IIS/VS.NET? Did you go into the
properties for that virtual directory and set it up as an application or hit
"Create"?

Stimp

I don't remember the errors or why it wouldn't run. It wasn't a code
issue, but it was the way iis was setup.

Would you be able to give me a step by step guide on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Define "wouldn't work". What version of IIS/VS.NET? Did you go into the
properties for that virtual directory and set it up as an application or hit
"Create"?

James

Still need a version of VS/IIS, but best guess without seeing it is to go
into IIS, find the folder you created, right click it, click properties and
then "Create".

Stimp said:
I don't remember the errors or why it wouldn't run. It wasn't a code
issue, but it was the way iis was setup.

Would you be able to give me a step by step guide on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Juan T. Llibre

You need to distinguish between copying a website and copying a project.
You don't copy a website and treat it as if it was a project.

As far as projects are concerned, just copying the source files, found at :
Drive:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites

....and copying the solution files, found at :
Drive:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\xxx

....will suffice to copy a project, as long as the paths in the solution files are the same,
and as long as the virtual directory exists in the second computer.

If the virtual directory does not exist in the second computer, create it.

If the physical path is not the same ( drive and directory tree ),
then edit the solution file so it points to the right directory,
and make sure the virtual directory specified in the solution file exists.