Mozilla 1.6 and tables

GD

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Does Mozilla 1.6 support tables?
Yes.

I can see the table with the regions of Italy with IE 6.0 even if I make the
window smaller without scrolling it but I cannot do the same with Mozilla
the page in question is
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html

It might have something to do with the missing <tr> tag near the bottom,
after the 'Sicilien' link.

The page is broken so the claim that it's 'valid HTML 4.01' is not true.

I think the problem is simple enough to expect Mozilla to overcome it
though. Maybe it's because Mozilla's in strict mode that it's being more
fussy?

Either way, try fixing the table (or email the webmaster and ask them to
fix it)

Luigi Donatello Asero

GD said:
It might have something to do with the missing <tr> tag near the bottom,
after the 'Sicilien' link.

The page is broken so the claim that it's 'valid HTML 4.01' is not true.

I think the problem is simple enough to expect Mozilla to overcome it
though. Maybe it's because Mozilla's in strict mode that it's being more
fussy?

Either way, try fixing the table (or email the webmaster and ask them to
fix it)
I am building the website myself and
I fixed the table but the problem has not been solved yet.
I also checket it up and the page is HTML 4.01 strict and CSS valid now.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html
So, what about
Mozilla supporting tables?
Should I use lists instead?

Paul Furman

Luigi said:
I can see the table with the regions of Italy with IE 6.0 even if I make the
window smaller without scrolling it but I cannot do the same with Mozilla
the page in question is
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html

Mozilla 1.4 doesn't want to wrap your hyphenated words. I'd call that a
bug. The table won't get any smaller than the longerst word. Maybe a way
to put a 'hidden' space in next to the hyphens like <span
style="font-size: 1%;">&nbsp;</span> or a special way to indicate it?

Tracy M

Luigi said:
I am building the website myself and
I fixed the table but the problem has not been solved yet.
I also checket it up and the page is HTML 4.01 strict and CSS valid now.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html
So, what about
Mozilla supporting tables?
Should I use lists instead?
some of your words in the table have hyphens eg Friuli-Venezia-Giulia.
IE wraps them to make the table cell smaller, mozilla / netcape doesn't
so the cell is forced wider.
Perhaps lists would be more appropriate though. A table implies there is
some sort of relationship between rows *and* columns.

Tracy.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Tracy M said:
some of your words in the table have hyphens eg Friuli-Venezia-Giulia.
IE wraps them to make the table cell smaller, mozilla / netcape doesn't
so the cell is forced wider.
Perhaps lists would be more appropriate though. A table implies there is
some sort of relationship between rows *and* columns.

Tracy.

One way is to write the word without the hyphen
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test7.html

I saw that Trentino Alto Adige is written in both ways
http://www.regione.taa.it/

I could also try to shape a relationship between columns and rows by
inserting headers for the columns, for example
"läge" (position) huvudstad ( capital or main town) number of provinces in
every region and do everything with a table.
Otherwise I could shape lists with the name of all the regions which are
situated in a certain part of Italy but how do you put the headers for the
lists?
Do you just use <h2> and the like?
Another possibility would be to have the names of the regions in the main
menu on the left.