Mozilla C++ programming practices

Discussion in 'C++' started by Ioannis Vranos, Sep 19, 2004.

  1. Ioannis Vranos, Sep 19, 2004

  2. "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message
    news:ciji07$2q1f$...
    > Check these.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/mozilla-style-guide.html#General

    Most of those seem acceptable to me, the main exception being
    "testing the return value of new for null". But this may have
    been justified by the non-conformance of some C++ platforms
    until few years ago.
    The initialization syntax is a matter of taste.
    Then there is the portability guidelines...

    > http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html#portability_rules
    >
    > I wonder, why they use such obsolete guidelines?

    As their name implies, these guidelines are about portability.
    I am finally in a situation where the C++ compilers I use are all
    nearly conformant, and support templates correctly (well, template
    export aside...). But this wasn't the case 3 years ago.
    I would agree that it might be time to modernize some of these
    guidelines now, but that debate would best be brought to one
    of the Mozilla mailing lists.

    Many projects still demand that code be written in plain C (no C++),
    for the sake of portability, so in a way Mozilla has a relatively
    "modern" approach ;)

    Cheers,
    Ivan
    Ivan Vecerina, Sep 19, 2004