Mozzila and IE: different floating layers!

Richard

9 times out of 10 Mozzila is right. IE is letting me get away with something
naughty but what could it possibly be?

300px;">

300px; float: left;">

300px; float: left;">
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

300px; float: right;">
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

302px; float: right;">
Far Right

Jonathan N. Little

Richard said:
[...]

'left_out' contains the two floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' DIVs, but
'left_out' is only 539 px wide so the two when added 268 + 268 = 536 but
you *must* add the 1px border on each totaling 540 px which cannot fit
within 539 px of 'left_out'. Both IE and Mozilla are correct not to put
floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' side by side BUT 'left_out', 'left_in'
and 'right_in' are all 300px tall and IE expands 'left_out' like a table
cell and Mozilla does not. IE is wrong in this case as well. Both
'left_in' and 'right_in' should break out of the bottom of 'left_out'.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
Visual formatting model

Richard

Jonathan N. Little said:
'left_out' contains the two floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' DIVs, but
'left_out' is only 539 px wide so the two when added 268 + 268 = 536 but
you *must* add the 1px border on each totaling 540 px which cannot fit
within 539 px of 'left_out'. Both IE and Mozilla are correct not to put
floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' side by side BUT 'left_out', 'left_in'
and 'right_in' are all 300px tall and IE expands 'left_out' like a table
cell and Mozilla does not. IE is wrong in this case as well. Both
'left_in' and 'right_in' should break out of the bottom of 'left_out'.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
Visual formatting model

Yep, that was it. Thanks.

dorayme

With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:

Jonathan's good, but cranky.

JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.

You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

Neredbojias

dorayme said:
JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.

You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
more need for "(e-mail address removed)", etc.

Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
renaming myself my name + the http address.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
more need for "(e-mail address removed)", etc.

Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
renaming myself my name + the http address.

I wasn't upset or anything with respect to

http://message-id.net/<[email protected]>

was pure curiosity. This it is a great idea, but doesn't seem to work
with SeaMonkey. I am sure we have all gotten these emails for folks who
do not know the difference between 'reply to group' and 'reply to ..."
oh what's it called in OE (yes it seems to be an Outlook Express
thing... ) I guess it is just 'reply' got a little picture of a face as
opposed to the push-pinned note. Just had one recently and had to OE
newsreader which I have never used just to see how he could screw it up!

Oh, I can get cranky alright! The guy trying to peddle the 'humor' site
and the $30,000 scam guy are irksome but I try to refrain from comment!
Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

dorayme

dorayme wrote:

I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
more need for "(e-mail address removed)", etc.

Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
renaming myself my name + the http address.

So.... er... editing what you are quoting will interfere with
your attempts?

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

You need to go way back for this one... I've run out of puff
today. I never fool around on April 1. Maybe try Google search
groups. alt.html, Officer "Bud" White...

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
You need to go way back for this one... I've run out of puff
today. I never fool around on April 1. Maybe try Google search
groups. alt.html, Officer "Bud" White...

Russell Crowe!?! Oooookay. Only thing I saw with him was 'Beautiful
Mind' which was okay...

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
Russell Crowe!?! Oooookay. Only thing I saw with him was 'Beautiful
Mind' which was okay...

You really need to see him at his best, in LA Confidential.

I want to say, maybe the one you saw was "OK" but there was no
mathematician (just our Russell pretending to be one). In LA
Confidential, there was Officer "Bud" White and no question about
it.

(I am a helpless sucker for celluloid characters, I am not that
keen on actors. I mean, really, I like and constantly think about
Roger Rabbit, Tweetie Bird, Tom, Sleeping Beauty, John Book and
yes, Samson Shillitoe.)

Jim Moe

Neredbojias said:
Jonathan's good, but cranky.
Speaking of cranky: Next time trim off the parts of a message that are
redundant or meaningless to your response.

Neredbojias

Jim said:
Speaking of cranky: Next time trim off the parts of a message that are
redundant or meaningless to your response.

Ya mean even if the response itself is redundant and meaningless??

Neredbojias

I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
I wasn't upset or anything with respect to

http://message-id.net/<[email protected]>

was pure curiosity. This it is a great idea, but doesn't seem to work
with SeaMonkey.

Nor Thunderbird, which I'm trying now (-although I do need to explore it
more.) I didn't see any options for the "reply to" line (e.g: "Eustus
wrote:") like most ng clients have. Apparently the sig is a separate
text file (which I haven't set up yet.)
I am sure we have all gotten these emails for folks who
do not know the difference between 'reply to group' and 'reply to ..."
oh what's it called in OE (yes it seems to be an Outlook Express
thing... ) I guess it is just 'reply' got a little picture of a face as
opposed to the push-pinned note. Just had one recently and had to OE
newsreader which I have never used just to see how he could screw it up!

"Reply to Sender"??
Oh, I can get cranky alright! The guy trying to peddle the 'humor' site
and the $30,000 scam guy are irksome but I try to refrain from comment!

Yep, ditto. Several totally asinine messages from a total ass.

Neredbojias

dorayme said:
So.... er... editing what you are quoting will interfere with
your attempts?

Not sure I understand that, but Gravity has a "header bar" with the
"from" as well, and the "from" in the text should be right before it is
quoted.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
Nor Thunderbird, which I'm trying now (-although I do need to explore it
more.) I didn't see any options for the "reply to" line (e.g: "Eustus
wrote:") like most ng clients have. Apparently the sig is a separate
text file (which I haven't set up yet.)

I would assume that they would be similar, basically the same client.
Yea, just like old Communicator, you can have a different sig for each
account. I have different style defs in my email accounts that make it
real easy to tell which account I am composing in...
"Reply to Sender"??

Yeah, I didn't thing it could be so complicated, but I had this on chap
a few weeks ago that could not seem to figure it out!
<curmudgeon mode>The birth canal should have been designed like the
labyrinth of Crete...it certainly could have had a positive effect on

Jim said:
Speaking of cranky: Next time trim off the parts of a message that are
redundant or meaningless to your response.
Ah, I am one that many times does judiciously trim, but in this instance
my remarks relate directly to the OP's code. Yes a URL is always
preferable but some folks are worried about 'copyright issues'!

dorayme

Not sure I understand that...

I meant this: you are testing something, right? Is it essential
for your tests that you do not bother to trim quotes and irritate
all your devoted followers? How can you not understand this? And
is this very different from what I said? It's ok, Boji, I
understand, you are distracted at the imminence of your meeting
with Officer You Know Who...

Neredbojias

DoRayMe said:
I meant this: you are testing something, right? Is it essential
for your tests that you do not bother to trim quotes and irritate
all your devoted followers? How can you not understand this? And
is this very different from what I said? It's ok, Boji, I
understand, you are distracted at the imminence of your meeting
with Officer You Know Who...

Oh, now I get it. You were dissing me. How could I have failed to note
that (or even consider the possibility)?

Okay... I'm going to start spelling your name like this: DoRayMe. Hehehe.