Mozzila and IE: different floating layers!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    9 times out of 10 Mozzila is right. IE is letting me get away with something
    naughty but what could it possibly be?

    300px;">

    300px; float: left;">

    300px; float: left;">
    a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
    l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
    x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
    j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
    v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
    h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
    t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

    300px; float: right;">
    a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
    l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
    x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
    j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
    v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
    h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
    t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

    302px; float: right;">
    Far Right

    Richard, Mar 31, 2006

  2. Richard wrote:
    > 9 times out of 10 Mozzila is right. IE is letting me get away with something
    > naughty but what could it possibly be?

    > 300px;">

    > 300px; float: left;">

    > 300px; float: left;">
    > a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
    > l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
    > x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
    > j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
    > v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
    > h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
    > t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

    > 300px; float: right;">
    > a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k
    > l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w
    > x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i
    > j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
    > v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g
    > h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s
    > t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

    > 302px; float: right;">
    > Far Right

    'left_out' contains the two floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' DIVs, but
    'left_out' is only 539 px wide so the two when added 268 + 268 = 536 but
    you *must* add the 1px border on each totaling 540 px which cannot fit
    within 539 px of 'left_out'. Both IE and Mozilla are correct not to put
    floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' side by side BUT 'left_out', 'left_in'
    and 'right_in' are all 300px tall and IE expands 'left_out' like a table
    cell and Mozilla does not. IE is wrong in this case as well. Both
    'left_in' and 'right_in' should break out of the bottom of 'left_out'.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
    Visual formatting model

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    > Richard wrote:
    > > 9 times out of 10 Mozzila is right. IE is letting me get away with

    something
    > > naughty but what could it possibly be?

    > > 300px;">

    height:
    > > 300px; float: left;">

    height:
    > > 300px; float: left;">
    > > a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i

    j k
    > > l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u

    v w
    > > x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g

    h i
    > > j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s

    t u
    > > v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e

    f g
    > > h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q

    r s
    > > t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

    height:
    > > 300px; float: right;">
    > > a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i

    j k
    > > l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u

    v w
    > > x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g

    h i
    > > j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s

    t u
    > > v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e

    f g
    > > h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q

    r s
    > > t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

    height:
    > > 302px; float: right;">
    > > Far Right

    > 'left_out' contains the two floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' DIVs, but
    > 'left_out' is only 539 px wide so the two when added 268 + 268 = 536 but
    > you *must* add the 1px border on each totaling 540 px which cannot fit
    > within 539 px of 'left_out'. Both IE and Mozilla are correct not to put
    > floated 'left_in' and 'right_in' side by side BUT 'left_out', 'left_in'
    > and 'right_in' are all 300px tall and IE expands 'left_out' like a table
    > cell and Mozilla does not. IE is wrong in this case as well. Both
    > 'left_in' and 'right_in' should break out of the bottom of 'left_out'.
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
    > Visual formatting model
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Yep, that was it. Thanks.
    Richard, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:

    Jonathan's good, but cranky.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    wrote:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:
    >
    > > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Take care,
    > > >
    > > > Jonathan

    > > Yep, that was it. Thanks.

    > Jonathan's good, but cranky.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias

    JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.

    You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
    Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:
    >>
    >>> "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yep, that was it. Thanks.

    >> Jonathan's good, but cranky.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojias

    > JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.
    >
    > You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
    > Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

    I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
    field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
    more need for "", etc.

    Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
    renaming myself my name + the http address.
    Neredbojias, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Neredbojias wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> wrote:
    >>
    >>> With neither quill nor qualm, Richard quothed:

    >>> Jonathan's good, but cranky.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Neredbojias

    >> JL would be maybe the least cranky person on alt.html.
    >> You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me. Maybe
    >> I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

    > I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
    > field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
    > more need for "", etc.
    >
    > Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
    > renaming myself my name + the http address.

    I wasn't upset or anything with respect to

    http://message-id.net/%3C442c7596$0$3689$%3E

    was pure curiosity. This it is a great idea, but doesn't seem to work
    with SeaMonkey. I am sure we have all gotten these emails for folks who
    do not know the difference between 'reply to group' and 'reply to ..."
    oh what's it called in OE (yes it seems to be an Outlook Express
    thing... ) I guess it is just 'reply' got a little picture of a face as
    opposed to the push-pinned note. Just had one recently and had to OE
    newsreader which I have never used just to see how he could screw it up!

    Oh, I can get cranky alright! The guy trying to peddle the 'humor' site
    and the $30,000 scam guy are irksome but I try to refrain from comment!
    Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <d5d65$442de86e$43888edc$>,
    wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > > You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
    > > Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

    > I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
    > field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
    > more need for "", etc.
    >
    > Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
    > renaming myself my name + the http address.

    So.... er... editing what you are quoting will interfere with
    your attempts?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 1, 2006
  9. Richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <442df597$0$3696$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

    You need to go way back for this one... I've run out of puff
    today. I never fool around on April 1. Maybe try Google search
    groups. alt.html, Officer "Bud" White...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 1, 2006
  10. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <442df597$0$3696$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

    > You need to go way back for this one... I've run out of puff
    > today. I never fool around on April 1. Maybe try Google search
    > groups. alt.html, Officer "Bud" White...

    Russell Crowe!?! Oooookay. Only thing I saw with him was 'Beautiful
    Mind' which was okay...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006
  11. Richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <442dfd1e$0$3693$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <442df597$0$3696$>,
    > > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

    > > You need to go way back for this one... I've run out of puff
    > > today. I never fool around on April 1. Maybe try Google search
    > > groups. alt.html, Officer "Bud" White...
    > >

    > Russell Crowe!?! Oooookay. Only thing I saw with him was 'Beautiful
    > Mind' which was okay...

    You really need to see him at his best, in LA Confidential.

    I want to say, maybe the one you saw was "OK" but there was no
    mathematician (just our Russell pretending to be one). In LA
    Confidential, there was Officer "Bud" White and no question about
    it.

    (I am a helpless sucker for celluloid characters, I am not that
    keen on actors. I mean, really, I like and constantly think about
    Roger Rabbit, Tweetie Bird, Tom, Sleeping Beauty, John Book and
    yes, Samson Shillitoe.)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 1, 2006
  12. Richard

    Jim Moe Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > Jonathan's good, but cranky.

    Speaking of cranky: Next time trim off the parts of a message that are
    redundant or meaningless to your response.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Apr 1, 2006
  13. Richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Jonathan's good, but cranky.
    >>

    > Speaking of cranky: Next time trim off the parts of a message that are
    > redundant or meaningless to your response.

    Ya mean even if the response itself is redundant and meaningless??

    --
    Nerb
    Neredbojias, Apr 1, 2006
  14. Richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    >> I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
    >> field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
    >> more need for "", etc.
    >>
    >> Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
    >> renaming myself my name + the http address.

    > I wasn't upset or anything with respect to
    >
    > http://message-id.net/%3C442c7596$0$3689$%3E
    >
    > was pure curiosity. This it is a great idea, but doesn't seem to work
    > with SeaMonkey.

    Nor Thunderbird, which I'm trying now (-although I do need to explore it
    more.) I didn't see any options for the "reply to" line (e.g: "Eustus
    wrote:") like most ng clients have. Apparently the sig is a separate
    text file (which I haven't set up yet.)

    > I am sure we have all gotten these emails for folks who
    > do not know the difference between 'reply to group' and 'reply to ..."
    > oh what's it called in OE (yes it seems to be an Outlook Express
    > thing... ) I guess it is just 'reply' got a little picture of a face as
    > opposed to the push-pinned note. Just had one recently and had to OE
    > newsreader which I have never used just to see how he could screw it up!

    "Reply to Sender"??

    > Oh, I can get cranky alright! The guy trying to peddle the 'humor' site
    > and the $30,000 scam guy are irksome but I try to refrain from comment!

    Yep, ditto. Several totally asinine messages from a total ass.

    > Oh and dorayme, what's with this Officer Bud White?

    --
    Test Sig on-the-fly
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Apr 1, 2006
  15. Richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <d5d65$442de86e$43888edc$>,
    > Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> You have been going mad more quickly lately Boji, it worries me.
    >>> Maybe I better tell Officer Bud White to go easy on you.

    >> I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
    >> field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
    >> more need for "", etc.
    >>
    >> Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
    >> renaming myself my name + the http address.

    > So.... er... editing what you are quoting will interfere with
    > your attempts?

    Not sure I understand that, but Gravity has a "header bar" with the
    "from" as well, and the "from" in the text should be right before it is
    quoted.

    --
    Nerb
    Neredbojias, Apr 1, 2006
  16. Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> I am _trying_ to replace the redoubtable email address in the "from"
    >>> field with a web address for form mail. Spam-proofing, you see. No
    >>> more need for "", etc.
    >>>
    >>> Seems like all news clients work differently. If I have to I may try
    >>> renaming myself my name + the http address.

    >> I wasn't upset or anything with respect to
    >>
    >> http://message-id.net/%3C442c7596$0$3689$%3E
    >>
    >> was pure curiosity. This it is a great idea, but doesn't seem to work
    >> with SeaMonkey.

    > Nor Thunderbird, which I'm trying now (-although I do need to explore it
    > more.) I didn't see any options for the "reply to" line (e.g: "Eustus
    > wrote:") like most ng clients have. Apparently the sig is a separate
    > text file (which I haven't set up yet.)

    I would assume that they would be similar, basically the same client.
    Yea, just like old Communicator, you can have a different sig for each
    account. I have different style defs in my email accounts that make it
    real easy to tell which account I am composing in...

    >> I am sure we have all gotten these emails for folks who do not know
    >> the difference between 'reply to group' and 'reply to ..." oh what's
    >> it called in OE (yes it seems to be an Outlook Express thing... ) I
    >> guess it is just 'reply' got a little picture of a face as opposed to
    >> the push-pinned note. Just had one recently and had to OE newsreader
    >> which I have never used just to see how he could screw it up!

    > "Reply to Sender"??

    Yeah, I didn't thing it could be so complicated, but I had this on chap
    a few weeks ago that could not seem to figure it out!
    <curmudgeon mode>The birth canal should have been designed like the
    labyrinth of Crete...it certainly could have had a positive effect on
    the demographics!</curmudgeon mode>

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006
  17. Jim Moe wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Jonathan's good, but cranky.
    >>

    > Speaking of cranky: Next time trim off the parts of a message that are
    > redundant or meaningless to your response.

    Ah, I am one that many times does judiciously trim, but in this instance
    my remarks relate directly to the OP's code. Yes a URL is always
    preferable but some folks are worried about 'copyright issues'!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006
  18. Richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4594c$442e5419$43888f32$>,
    wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <d5d65$442de86e$43888edc$>,
    > > Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> dorayme wrote:

    > > So.... er... editing what you are quoting will interfere with
    > > your attempts?

    > Not sure I understand that...

    I meant this: you are testing something, right? Is it essential
    for your tests that you do not bother to trim quotes and irritate
    all your devoted followers? How can you not understand this? And
    is this very different from what I said? It's ok, Boji, I
    understand, you are distracted at the imminence of your meeting
    with Officer You Know Who...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 2, 2006
  19. Richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    DoRayMe wrote:

    >>> So.... er... editing what you are quoting will interfere with
    >>> your attempts?

    >> Not sure I understand that...

    > I meant this: you are testing something, right? Is it essential
    > for your tests that you do not bother to trim quotes and irritate
    > all your devoted followers? How can you not understand this? And
    > is this very different from what I said? It's ok, Boji, I
    > understand, you are distracted at the imminence of your meeting
    > with Officer You Know Who...

    Oh, now I get it. You were dissing me. How could I have failed to note
    that (or even consider the possibility)?

    Okay... I'm going to start spelling your name like this: DoRayMe. Hehehe.

    --
    Neredbojias

    "Vengeance is mine!" sayeth the peon.
    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  20. Richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <73c89$442f35ce$43888f29$>,
    wrote:

    > Okay... I'm going to start spelling your name like this: DoRayMe.

    I take all back... please don't do this.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 2, 2006