    sound effects. i have read about the win32-sound gem, but I have Ubuntu
    (10.10) is there any way to play mp3/midi files in ubuntu without
    starting a external player as vlc or such?

    Martin A., Nov 13, 2010

  2. On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Martin A. <> wrote:
    > I am new to ruby, and i want to write a small text based games with some
    > sound effects. i have read about the win32-sound gem, but I have Ubuntu
    > (10.10) is there any way to play mp3/midi files in ubuntu without
    > starting a external player as vlc or such?

    IIRC, GNOME uses GStreamer for Audio/Video, so take a look here:
    http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/ruby-gst/

    Note that this will work only for systems where GStreamer is installed
    (in true Linux fashion, pretty every window manager reinvents the
    wheel from (almost) scratch, alas).

    Another option, a bit less WM dependent is SDL. So take a look at
    http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubysdl.en.html

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,