Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

Asle Frantzen

I'm thinking of throwing myself into a small mp3/media-player
project, but I have a few things I'd like to know first.

I've been programming with c++ since I started learning it
appr. one year ago, so I don't have too much experience.

What do I need in order to make a program that opens
an mp3-file, plays it and displays the the info embedded
in it (artist, song, album etc.)?

Some sort of SDK?

Could someone point me in the right direction, maybe a
webpage somewhere has an explaination/code example...

Thanks!

-af

Mike Wahler

Asle Frantzen said:
I'm thinking of throwing myself into a small mp3/media-player
project, but I have a few things I'd like to know first.

I've been programming with c++ since I started learning it
appr. one year ago, so I don't have too much experience.

What do I need in order to make a program that opens
an mp3-file, plays it and displays the the info embedded
in it (artist, song, album etc.)?

Some sort of SDK?

Could someone point me in the right direction, maybe a
webpage somewhere has an explaination/code example...

<OT>
For Windows platforms, see www.msdn.microsoft.com

For other platforms, find a support site for that
platform. Google is your friend. :)
</OT>

BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

Before posting here again, please see:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

Thank you.

-Mike

Asle Frantzen

Mike said:
BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

Thats what I was wondering about, really.

Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
standard C++ language?

(Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

And one more thing: are there any websites with a
complete (and searchable) 'listing' of the c++ language?
(For example a site that would be for c++ what php.net is for PHP...)

Thanks!

..a

John Harrison

Asle Frantzen said:
Thats what I was wondering about, really.

Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
standard C++ language?

(Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

C++ is not that kind of language. It was designed for toasters and
refridgerators, and most of those cannot play mp3's. Its also the reason
that C++ does not even support the notion of a keyboard.
And one more thing: are there any websites with a
complete (and searchable) 'listing' of the c++ language?
(For example a site that would be for c++ what php.net is for PHP...)

Thanks!

.a

I like this http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx?lib=cpp which is a
description of the Standard C++ library. But its mainly data structures and
basic alogirthms. You going to be disappointed if your idea of a good
language is one that has native support for mp3 playing.

john

Kelsey Bjarnason

Thats what I was wondering about, really.

Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
standard C++ language?

In a word, no.
(Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

Windows, Linux, et al are operating systems. Not even all operating
systems offer support for multimedia so such support, while popular, is
hardly universal even there. Now consider that C++ knows nothing of
hardware, device drivers and the like and it isn't suprising that C++ is
even less likely to support multimedia.

More to the point, though, is that C++ is intended to be usable even where
multimedia support isn't available, hence lacks support for such features.