    webpage somewhere has an explaination/code example...

    Thanks!

    -af

    Asle Frantzen, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Asle Frantzen

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

    Asle Frantzen <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of throwing myself into a small mp3/media-player
    > project, but I have a few things I'd like to know first.
    >
    > I've been programming with c++ since I started learning it
    > appr. one year ago, so I don't have too much experience.
    >
    > What do I need in order to make a program that opens
    > an mp3-file, plays it and displays the the info embedded
    > in it (artist, song, album etc.)?
    >
    > Some sort of SDK?
    >
    > Could someone point me in the right direction, maybe a
    > webpage somewhere has an explaination/code example...

    <OT>
    For Windows platforms, see www.msdn.microsoft.com

    For other platforms, find a support site for that
    platform. Google is your friend. :)
    </OT>

    BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
    ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

    Before posting here again, please see:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    Thank you.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    [...]
    > Google is your friend. :)

    It seems that idiocy is your permanent state.

    regards,
    alexander.

    Alexander Terekhov, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    > BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
    > ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

    Thats what I was wondering about, really.

    Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
    standard C++ language?

    (Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
    there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

    And one more thing: are there any websites with a
    complete (and searchable) 'listing' of the c++ language?
    (For example a site that would be for c++ what php.net is for PHP...)

    Thanks!

    ..a

    Asle Frantzen, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

    > Mike Wahler wrote:
    > > BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
    > > ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

    > Thats what I was wondering about, really.
    >
    > Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
    > standard C++ language?
    >
    > (Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
    > there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

    C++ is not that kind of language. It was designed for toasters and
    refridgerators, and most of those cannot play mp3's. Its also the reason
    that C++ does not even support the notion of a keyboard.

    > And one more thing: are there any websites with a
    > complete (and searchable) 'listing' of the c++ language?
    > (For example a site that would be for c++ what php.net is for PHP...)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > .a

    I like this http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx?lib=cpp which is a
    description of the Standard C++ library. But its mainly data structures and
    basic alogirthms. You going to be disappointed if your idea of a good
    language is one that has native support for mp3 playing.

    john

    John Harrison, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:51:31 +0200, Asle Frantzen wrote:

    > Mike Wahler wrote:
    >> BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
    >> ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

    > Thats what I was wondering about, really.
    >
    > Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
    > standard C++ language?

    In a word, no.

    > (Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
    > there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

    Windows, Linux, et al are operating systems. Not even all operating
    systems offer support for multimedia so such support, while popular, is
    hardly universal even there. Now consider that C++ knows nothing of
    hardware, device drivers and the like and it isn't suprising that C++ is
    even less likely to support multimedia.

    More to the point, though, is that C++ is intended to be usable even where
    multimedia support isn't available, hence lacks support for such features.

    Kelsey Bjarnason, Jul 22, 2003