mp3 player

Jeff

I already regret asking this.

I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
start and stop feature and auto play on page load.

I don't want any guff on why this shouldn't be done. So, if you know
how this stupid stupid task can be done, point me at it. If you want to
preach at me, ask yourself whether it is worth driving away another
alt.html reader.

Jeff

dorayme

Jeff said:
I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
start and stop feature and auto play on page load.

I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
first two free for a PC?

Jeff

dorayme said:
I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
first two free for a PC?
Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that bit
of a hint I found the object/embed code.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:59:46 GMT
Jeff scribed:
I already regret asking this.

I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
start and stop feature and auto play on page load.

I don't want any guff on why this shouldn't be done. So, if you know
how this stupid stupid task can be done, point me at it. If you want to
preach at me, ask yourself whether it is worth driving away another
alt.html reader.

Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head? Is your
underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did dodo cast a
spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is WRONG with you, son???

Jeff

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:59:46 GMT
Jeff scribed:

Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head? Is your
underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did dodo cast a
spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is WRONG with you, son???
My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and it
damaged our relationship.

I'm in no mood for any of this.

Jeff

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 05:46:18
GMT Jeff scribed:
My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and it
damaged our relationship.

Give her a spanking. It may not improve your relationship, but at least
you'll be doing your part to put women in their proper place.
I'm in no mood for any of this.

Moods are for dames. Men have _attitudes_.

SAZ

My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and it
damaged our relationship.

I'm in no mood for any of this.

Jeff
A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
money) to someone else?

aoksite1

dorayme said:
Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that bit
of a hint I found the object/embed code.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Jeff,

You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
complete tutorial on how to use visit http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html
or do a Google search for embedding media files.

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "(e-mail address removed)" <aoksite1
@gmail.com> writing in @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
over a person's computer like a nasty virus.

There are ways to stop Quicktime and others from doing this. Try using
Startup Monitor from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net/]. It sits in memory (very
small), and stops things from trying to load on start. He also has StartUp
Control Panel, which allows you to get to all the things that are already
there, that you might not want. I've been using both for years, and
recommend them highly.

aoksite1

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "(e-mail address removed)" <aoksite1
@gmail.com> writing in @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
over a person's computer like a nasty virus.

There are ways to stop Quicktime and others from doing this. Try using
Startup Monitor from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net/]. It sits in memory (very
small), and stops things from trying to load on start. He also has StartUp
Control Panel, which allows you to get to all the things that are already
there, that you might not want. I've been using both for years, and
recommend them highly.

You can also use msconfig ( if running Windows) to stop Qucktime but
every time you update you have to do it all again. The point is it
requires a lengthy download and installs a lot of junk like iTunes
that you might not want.

Daniel

Jeff

Jeff,

You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
complete tutorial on how to use visit http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html
or do a Google search for embedding media files.

Thanks, I had found a flash component and used that, but I have another
bit I need to do and will use the WMP. Times change. I know at one tim
eit would have been the other way.

Jeff

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "(e-mail address removed)" <aoksite1
@gmail.com> writing in @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
over a person's computer like a nasty virus.

There are ways to stop Quicktime and others from doing this. Try using
Startup Monitor from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net/]. It sits in memory (very
small), and stops things from trying to load on start. He also has StartUp
Control Panel, which allows you to get to all the things that are already
there, that you might not want. I've been using both for years, and
recommend them highly.

Better idea, uninstall the nasty thing and install open source Quicktime
Alternative that knows how to keeps in its place...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

Been using it for years. While you're at it remove that even nastier
produce Real One Player and replace with Real Alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:11:39
GMT (e-mail address removed) scribed:
Jeff,

You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
complete tutorial on how to use visit
http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html or do a Google search
for embedding media files.

I totally agree and second this. There may be insulators as Adrienne has
suggested, but why deal with crap in the first place? And Jeff, if the
user doesn't have Quicktime/(generic) on his box, it won't work.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:45:25
GMT SAZ scribed:
A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
money) to someone else?

Well, yes, as I told Travis, that's irrefutable in a sense. And in some
(desperate) cases, I would do it. However, I'm basically one of those
American employees who have not yet assimilated the same loss of ethics as
their employers so under any but the most dire circumstances I will refuse
certain things I do not well-abide.

Harlan Messinger

SAZ said:
A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
money) to someone else?

Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?

SAZ

Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?

You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
him or be prepared to lose the business.

Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

Harlan Messinger

SAZ said:
You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
him or be prepared to lose the business.

I heard you the first time. And then you asked, "why give the work to
someone else?" And I responded, "because [keeping the client's business]
isn't the only consideration in the world." You asked a question and I
answered it. I don't care if you don't like the answer. It's the answer.
Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

And again: that isn't the only consideration in the world. You may
choose to ignore as many of the other considerations as you like, but
they are still there, and I'm sure you would start to agree if your
client said to keep his business you, for example, must have an arm
removed. So please get off *your* high horse about how keeping a client
is the only consideration worth caring about.

SAZ

SAZ said:
[...]

I hardly see where your analogy of having an arm removed is the same as
giving the customer an mp3 player on the site.

I'm not on a high horse. Those of us with successful, profitable
businesses will agree - keeping the client happy is paramount.

Harlan Messinger

SAZ said:
SAZ said:
SAZ wrote:

[...]

The point of an analogy is to highlight something that isn't obvious in
the original case. Therefore, the thing being compared to is likely to
be more *extreme*. That doesn't mean it isn't *relevant*. The point here
is that your attitude "there is nothing in this world worth considering
other than whether you keep your client", expressed as an axiom, is not one.

dorayme

SAZ said:
You can be as self-righteous as you want.

To say that it is not the only consideration is not self
righteous, it is just a salute in the direction of self respect...