    preach at me, ask yourself whether it is worth driving away another
    alt.html reader.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 24, 2008

  2. Jeff

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

    > I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
    > start and stop feature and auto play on page load.

    I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
    feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
    first two free for a PC?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
    >> start and stop feature and auto play on page load.

    > I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
    > feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
    > first two free for a PC?

    Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that bit
    of a hint I found the object/embed code.

    Thanks again,
    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 24, 2008
  4. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:59:46 GMT
    Jeff scribed:

    > I already regret asking this.
    >
    > I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
    > start and stop feature and auto play on page load.
    >
    > I don't want any guff on why this shouldn't be done. So, if you know
    > how this stupid stupid task can be done, point me at it. If you want to
    > preach at me, ask yourself whether it is worth driving away another
    > alt.html reader.

    Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head? Is your
    underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did dodo cast a
    spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is WRONG with you, son???

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 24, 2008
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:59:46 GMT
    > Jeff scribed:
    >
    >> I already regret asking this.
    >>
    >> I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
    >> start and stop feature and auto play on page load.
    >>
    >> I don't want any guff on why this shouldn't be done. So, if you know
    >> how this stupid stupid task can be done, point me at it. If you want to
    >> preach at me, ask yourself whether it is worth driving away another
    >> alt.html reader.

    > Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head? Is your
    > underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did dodo cast a
    > spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is WRONG with you, son???

    My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and it
    damaged our relationship.

    I'm in no mood for any of this.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 05:46:18
    GMT Jeff scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008
    >> 03:59:46 GMT Jeff scribed:
    >>
    >>> I already regret asking this.
    >>>
    >>> I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should
    >>> have a
    >>> start and stop feature and auto play on page load.
    >>>
    >>> I don't want any guff on why this shouldn't be done. So, if you
    >>> know
    >>> how this stupid stupid task can be done, point me at it. If you want
    >>> to preach at me, ask yourself whether it is worth driving away
    >>> another alt.html reader.

    >> Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head?
    >> Is your underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did
    >> dodo cast a spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is WRONG
    >> with you, son???
    >>

    > My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and it
    > damaged our relationship.

    Give her a spanking. It may not improve your relationship, but at least
    you'll be doing your part to put women in their proper place.

    > I'm in no mood for any of this.

    Moods are for dames. Men have _attitudes_.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Jeff

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>, jeff@spam_me_not.com
    says...
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:59:46 GMT
    > > Jeff scribed:
    > >
    > >> I already regret asking this.
    > >>
    > >> I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
    > >> start and stop feature and auto play on page load.
    > >>
    > >> I don't want any guff on why this shouldn't be done. So, if you know
    > >> how this stupid stupid task can be done, point me at it. If you want to
    > >> preach at me, ask yourself whether it is worth driving away another
    > >> alt.html reader.

    > > Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head? Is your
    > > underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did dodo cast a
    > > spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is WRONG with you, son???
    > >

    > My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and it
    > damaged our relationship.
    >
    > I'm in no mood for any of this.
    >
    > Jeff

    A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
    customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
    money) to someone else?

    SAZ, Jan 24, 2008
  8. Jeff

    Guest

    On Jan 23, 10:49 pm, Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

    > >> I need a lightweight free to cheap mp3 audio player. It should have a
    > >> start and stop feature and auto play on page load.

    > > I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
    > > feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
    > > first two free for a PC?

    > Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that bit
    > of a hint I found the object/embed code.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Jeff

    Jeff,

    You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
    people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
    over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
    embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
    instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
    complete tutorial on how to use visit http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html
    or do a Google search for embedding media files.

    Daniel

    http://a-ok-site.com

    , Jan 24, 2008
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "" <aoksite1
    @gmail.com> writing in news:57c08e68-a329-4cbb-9c59-0f6f3bf9b6d5
    @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

    > You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
    > people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
    > over a person's computer like a nasty virus.

    There are ways to stop Quicktime and others from doing this. Try using
    Startup Monitor from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net/]. It sits in memory (very
    small), and stops things from trying to load on start. He also has StartUp
    Control Panel, which allows you to get to all the things that are already
    there, that you might not want. I've been using both for years, and
    recommend them highly.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 24, 2008
  10. Jeff

    Guest

    On Jan 24, 10:19 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "" <aoksite1
    > @gmail.com> writing in news:57c08e68-a329-4cbb-9c59-0f6f3bf9b6d5
    > @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
    > > people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
    > > over a person's computer like a nasty virus.

    > There are ways to stop Quicktime and others from doing this. Try using
    > Startup Monitor from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net/]. It sits in memory (very
    > small), and stops things from trying to load on start. He also has StartUp
    > Control Panel, which allows you to get to all the things that are already
    > there, that you might not want. I've been using both for years, and
    > recommend them highly.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    You can also use msconfig ( if running Windows) to stop Qucktime but
    every time you update you have to do it all again. The point is it
    requires a lengthy download and installs a lot of junk like iTunes
    that you might not want.

    Daniel

    , Jan 24, 2008
  11. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 10:49 pm, Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>> I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
    >>> feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
    >>> first two free for a PC?

    >> Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that bit
    >> of a hint I found the object/embed code.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Jeff

    > Jeff,
    >
    > You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
    > people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
    > over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
    > embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
    > instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
    > complete tutorial on how to use visit http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html
    > or do a Google search for embedding media files.

    Thanks, I had found a flash component and used that, but I have another
    bit I need to do and will use the WMP. Times change. I know at one tim
    eit would have been the other way.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 24, 2008
  12. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "" <aoksite1
    > @gmail.com> writing in news:57c08e68-a329-4cbb-9c59-0f6f3bf9b6d5
    > @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
    >> people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
    >> over a person's computer like a nasty virus.

    > There are ways to stop Quicktime and others from doing this. Try using
    > Startup Monitor from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net/]. It sits in memory (very
    > small), and stops things from trying to load on start. He also has StartUp
    > Control Panel, which allows you to get to all the things that are already
    > there, that you might not want. I've been using both for years, and
    > recommend them highly.

    Better idea, uninstall the nasty thing and install open source Quicktime
    Alternative that knows how to keeps in its place...

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

    Been using it for years. While you're at it remove that even nastier
    produce Real One Player and replace with Real Alternative

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 24, 2008
  13. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:11:39
    GMT scribed:

    >> > I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
    >> > feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
    >> > first two free for a PC?

    >> Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that
    >> bit of a hint I found the object/embed code.

    > Jeff,
    >
    > You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
    > people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
    > over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
    > embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
    > instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
    > complete tutorial on how to use visit
    > http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html or do a Google search
    > for embedding media files.

    I totally agree and second this. There may be insulators as Adrienne has
    suggested, but why deal with crap in the first place? And Jeff, if the
    user doesn't have Quicktime/(generic) on his box, it won't work.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 24, 2008
  14. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:45:25
    GMT SAZ scribed:

    > In article <>, jeff@spam_me_not.com
    > says...

    >> > Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head?
    >> > Is your underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did
    >> > dodo cast a spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is
    >> > WRONG with you, son???
    >> >

    >> My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and
    >> it
    >> damaged our relationship.
    >>
    >> I'm in no mood for any of this.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
    > customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
    > money) to someone else?

    Well, yes, as I told Travis, that's irrefutable in a sense. And in some
    (desperate) cases, I would do it. However, I'm basically one of those
    American employees who have not yet assimilated the same loss of ethics as
    their employers so under any but the most dire circumstances I will refuse
    certain things I do not well-abide.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 24, 2008
  15. SAZ wrote:

    > A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
    > customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
    > money) to someone else?

    Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 24, 2008
  16. Jeff

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > SAZ wrote:
    >
    > > A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
    > > customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
    > > money) to someone else?

    > Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?

    You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
    something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
    him or be prepared to lose the business.

    Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
    easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

    SAZ, Jan 24, 2008
  17. SAZ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> SAZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
    >>> customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
    >>> money) to someone else?

    >> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
    >>

    > You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
    > something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
    > him or be prepared to lose the business.

    I heard you the first time. And then you asked, "why give the work to
    someone else?" And I responded, "because [keeping the client's business]
    isn't the only consideration in the world." You asked a question and I
    answered it. I don't care if you don't like the answer. It's the answer.

    > Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
    > easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

    And again: that isn't the only consideration in the world. You may
    choose to ignore as many of the other considerations as you like, but
    they are still there, and I'm sure you would start to agree if your
    client said to keep his business you, for example, must have an arm
    removed. So please get off *your* high horse about how keeping a client
    is the only consideration worth caring about.

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 24, 2008
  18. Jeff

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > SAZ wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
    > >>

    > > You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
    > > something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
    > > him or be prepared to lose the business.

    > I heard you the first time. And then you asked, "why give the work to
    > someone else?" And I responded, "because [keeping the client's business]
    > isn't the only consideration in the world." You asked a question and I
    > answered it. I don't care if you don't like the answer. It's the answer.
    >
    > > Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
    > > easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

    > And again: that isn't the only consideration in the world. You may
    > choose to ignore as many of the other considerations as you like, but
    > they are still there, and I'm sure you would start to agree if your
    > client said to keep his business you, for example, must have an arm
    > removed. So please get off *your* high horse about how keeping a client
    > is the only consideration worth caring about.

    I hardly see where your analogy of having an arm removed is the same as
    giving the customer an mp3 player on the site.

    I'm not on a high horse. Those of us with successful, profitable
    businesses will agree - keeping the client happy is paramount.

    SAZ, Jan 24, 2008
  19. SAZ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> SAZ wrote:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>> You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
    >>> something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
    >>> him or be prepared to lose the business.

    >> I heard you the first time. And then you asked, "why give the work to
    >> someone else?" And I responded, "because [keeping the client's business]
    >> isn't the only consideration in the world." You asked a question and I
    >> answered it. I don't care if you don't like the answer. It's the answer.
    >>
    >>> Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
    >>> easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

    >> And again: that isn't the only consideration in the world. You may
    >> choose to ignore as many of the other considerations as you like, but
    >> they are still there, and I'm sure you would start to agree if your
    >> client said to keep his business you, for example, must have an arm
    >> removed. So please get off *your* high horse about how keeping a client
    >> is the only consideration worth caring about.
    >>

    > I hardly see where your analogy of having an arm removed is the same as
    > giving the customer an mp3 player on the site.

    The point of an analogy is to highlight something that isn't obvious in
    the original case. Therefore, the thing being compared to is likely to
    be more *extreme*. That doesn't mean it isn't *relevant*. The point here
    is that your attitude "there is nothing in this world worth considering
    other than whether you keep your client", expressed as an axiom, is not one.

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 24, 2008
  20. Jeff

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    SAZ <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > SAZ wrote:
    > >
    > > > A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
    > > > customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
    > > > money) to someone else?

    > > Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
    > >

    > You can be as self-righteous as you want.

    To say that it is not the only consideration is not self
    righteous, it is just a salute in the direction of self respect...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 25, 2008