mp3 player

Jeff

I believe the OP has left the building...LOL.

Out the door, but not quite gone. I peeked back in to see if anything
relevant had happened. Nope. Same old argument between the pragmatists
and the ideologues.

Jeff

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:28:02
GMT SAZ scribed:
You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it
to him or be prepared to lose the business.

There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
ethical or just.
Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that customer?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:39:56
GMT dorayme scribed:
To say that it is not the only consideration is not self
righteous, it is just a salute in the direction of self respect...

That's the second thing you've said in this thread that I've liked...

Unfortunately, the other stuff blows.

Jeff

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:28:02
GMT SAZ scribed:

There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
ethical or just.

How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that customer?

Just how high and mighty do you think you are?

This whole thread is about background music on one of the pages of one
of my clients. That's a little cheesy, but it hardly means I've sold
myself cheaply. Now, I've listened to that music I resisted, and I've
come to the conclusion that if it makes my client and her visitors happy
(it's a metaphysical type site) than why not. Why should she, her
clients, or myself care if you want to throw a righteous hissy fit.

Jeff

cwdjrxyz

Been using it for years. While you're at it remove that even nastier
produce Real One Player and replace with Real Alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Yes, if Real 11 available for your OS, you should remove Real One now,
even if you like it, because the Real 11 is just out of beta where it
had been for some time.

I have WMP11, Real11, QT, iTunes, Winamp, AVS, GOM, FLV, Media Player
Classic, Nero Show Time, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and Nero Media Player all
installed. By far the most nasty is the Nero Media Player. It very
often grabs media files for itself that have been assigned to other
players as primary. This player is part of a large Nero suite. When I
get time, I likely will remove it if that is not too much trouble. If
you carefully assign what player is primary for what media file type
and do not have conflicts, the mentioned players usually all work well
together. You have to watch out when you download a new player and
select the advanced setting for file types it offers to play. The best
thing to do is not check any file types. Then come back and check file
types as you need them to be primary on the new player. If you have
WinPatrol installed, it usually will catch a player trying to steal
files from another, and you must approve the change before WinPatrol
will let it happen. I use most of the players just for checking web
pages to see if they will work properly on a file type. If you use a
player only for testing, you can set it to be primary for no file
types. Then when you want to use the player, you first bring it up and
usually under the file tab you choose to enter a local media file or a
url. Also, it is important not to allow all of the players to start up
when you turn the computer on, or you may have a very long wait.

It is true that Apple now offers the QT download along with iTunes.
None of the players are very big files on comparison to many high
resolution video files when you often use several 1 GB vob files for a
single feature link movie. Even iTunes/QT downloads fairly fast on a
good high broadband connection if their server is not overloaded. I
usually do long downloads at night. However some of the players would
be rather slow downloads on dialup.

SAZ

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:28:02
GMT SAZ scribed:

There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
ethical or just.

How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that customer?
Cheap is relative. My clients pay me $75/hour to do whatever they want.

Jeff

cwdjrxyz said:
Yes, if Real 11 available for your OS, you should remove Real One now,
even if you like it, because the Real 11 is just out of beta where it
had been for some time.

Man, what has happened to all these players? I remember using the
real player in it's earliest incarnations and it was the coolest thing.
Streaming audio over a 14.4 connection (and sounding pretty good at
56k), and it never tried to do anything but push the content you wanted.
You could adjust it so it only had the features you wanted. Now
everything looks like a flash component and it takes guess work just to
figure out how it works.

It would be nice if they did what you needed rather than look gorgeous.

Jeff

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 04:23:20
GMT Jeff scribed:
customer?

Just how high and mighty do you think you are?

5'8", 155lbs. of pure piss-powered man-meat. Hell, I could tie
Schwarzeneggar in a knot before he had time to move if I hit him below
the belt.
This whole thread is about background music on one of the pages of one
of my clients.

Not exactly, but in any case my reply was to a message about giving the
client what he wants.
That's a little cheesy, but it hardly means I've sold
myself cheaply. Now, I've listened to that music I resisted, and I've
come to the conclusion that if it makes my client and her visitors
happy (it's a metaphysical type site) than why not.

Because as I implied and Harlan Messinger stated more directly, there are
other considerations. However, it doesn't mean you "sold yourself
cheaply", either. I was speaking in general terms with that.
Why should she, her
clients, or myself care if you want to throw a righteous hissy fit.

Perhaps one or more of them are members of Hissy Fittists Anonymous. Who
knows?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:39:33 GMT
SAZ scribed:
Cheap is relative. My clients pay me $75/hour to do whatever they want.

Well, I get $110/hour and set the limits, so I guess it _is_ relative.

Jeff

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 04:23:20
GMT Jeff scribed:

5'8", 155lbs. of pure piss-powered man-meat. Hell, I could tie
Schwarzeneggar in a knot before he had time to move if I hit him below
the belt.

6'6" 225lbs.
Not exactly, but in any case my reply was to a message about giving the
client what he wants.

No, you were proselytizing when it was specifically requested that you
stay on the sidelines unless you had something technical to contribute.
Because as I implied and Harlan Messinger stated more directly, there are
other considerations. However, it doesn't mean you "sold yourself
cheaply", either. I was speaking in general terms with that.

Just leave it be. Does this always have to degenerate into
personality conflicts?
Perhaps one or more of them are members of Hissy Fittists Anonymous. Who
knows?

Call it what you may. But don't you see how this drives people away
from an html group when they get more attitude than answers? All the
longest threads are like that. We all know where each other is coming
from, it's not like we're covering new ground.

There's a few authoring and design issues I'd like to discuss, but it's
hard breaking any new ground when you are treated like a heretic. I'd
rather save the energy.

Perhaps I just don't have the patience for this anymore.

Jeff

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:07:39
GMT Jeff scribed:
6'6" 225lbs.

Ho, a big 'un! How's the weather up thare?
No, you were proselytizing when it was specifically requested that
you
stay on the sidelines unless you had something technical to
contribute.

Proselytizing isn't illegal, and in this case, my client (me) wanted to
do it. Furthermore, professing one's beliefs isn't detrimental to
humanity when those beliefs are true and valid.
Just leave it be. Does this always have to degenerate into
personality conflicts?

What personality conflict? Do you believe that your personality is in
conflict with my personality? That can hardly be true because you don't
even know me well. However, I know you well enough to see that you seem
to grasp onto the nearest trite cliche, slogan, or dogma to express
yourself.
Call it what you may. But don't you see how this drives people away
from an html group when they get more attitude than answers? All the
longest threads are like that.

Sure, that's pretty accurate. But their expectations of a helpdesk are
rather unrealistic, anyway, and as I said before, the answerers are here
for reasons of their own as well. I enjoy helping people sometimes but
I'm not going to kiss their asses to do it and I am going to express my
opinions as I, not they, see fit. If they don't like it, let them take a
hike.
We all know where each other is coming
from, it's not like we're covering new ground.

There's a few authoring and design issues I'd like to discuss, but
it's hard breaking any new ground when you are treated like a heretic.
I'd rather save the energy.

As big as you are physically, you sound rather weak in spirit.
Perhaps I just don't have the patience for this anymore.

Perhaps. Or perhaps you're just tired of the bullshit. Maybe you're
getting old, too. (Look at what happened to Blinky.) Btw, you shrink
when you age if you haven't already noticed.

Jeff

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:07:39
GMT Jeff scribed:

Ho, a big 'un! How's the weather up thare?

I think the old line is I'll spit in your eye and you'll know it's
raining up here.
Proselytizing isn't illegal, and in this case, my client (me) wanted to
do it. Furthermore, professing one's beliefs isn't detrimental to
humanity when those beliefs are true and valid.

What personality conflict? Do you believe that your personality is in
conflict with my personality?

Well, no.

That can hardly be true because you don't
even know me well. However, I know you well enough to see that you seem
to grasp onto the nearest trite cliche, slogan, or dogma to express
yourself.

Sure, that's pretty accurate. But their expectations of a helpdesk are
rather unrealistic, anyway, and as I said before, the answerers are here
for reasons of their own as well. I enjoy helping people sometimes but
I'm not going to kiss their asses to do it and I am going to express my
opinions as I, not they, see fit. If they don't like it, let them take a
hike.

I really don't have a problem with that. I read a few technical
groups and it's expected for people to research before they post. Taking
OPs down that don't is fair game.
As big as you are physically, you sound rather weak in spirit.

Perhaps. Or perhaps you're just tired of the bullshit.

Mostly. I've got a lot to do and don't have the time for this. Surely,
you've bee there?

Maybe you're
getting old, too. (Look at what happened to Blinky.) Btw, you shrink
when you age if you haven't already noticed.

Jeff

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:38:14
GMT Jeff scribed:
I think the old line is I'll spit in your eye and you'll know it's
raining up here.

I really don't have a problem with that. I read a few technical
groups and it's expected for people to research before they post.
Taking OPs down that don't is fair game.

Of course. Otoh, it is true the people sometimes become fairly abusive
in responding to posts but the correct procedure is just to ignore those
and address the constructive replies only. It takes 2 (or more) to
argue.
Mostly. I've got a lot to do and don't have the time for this. Surely,
you've bee there?

Oh yeah. Sometimes when I get real busy I get dingy. But when the smoke
clears and the money rolls in, it seems like it's all worth it. I
wonder, though, if it is.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
But when the smoke
clears and the money rolls in, it seems like it's all worth it.

I understand you earn big money at web related things. Good for
you. I make my money in another way:

In Australia at the beaches, there are are public showers. For
water conservation reasons, the local councils have button taps
on them, these must be kept pressed for the water to flow. They
are small and smooth and the tiles or stainless steel sheeting
behind them are smooth too (precluding any easy jamming device).
It is very hard to keep the shower going without a human finger.

I employ an army of little boys and girls (these little suckers I
pay absolute peanuts to) to offer swimmers, for a small fee, to
hold the button that keeps the public showers going. It is a big
money spinner and as a result, I am able to offer my web services
completely for free.

aoksite1

I understand you earn big money at web related things. Good for
you. I make my money in another way:

In Australia at the beaches, there are are public showers. For
water conservation reasons, the local councils have button taps
on them, these must be kept pressed for the water to flow. They
are small and smooth and the tiles or stainless steel sheeting
behind them are smooth too (precluding any easy jamming device).
It is very hard to keep the shower going without a human finger.

I employ an army of little boys and girls (these little suckers I
pay absolute peanuts to) to offer swimmers, for a small fee, to
hold the button that keeps the public showers going. It is a big
money spinner and as a result, I am able to offer my web services
completely for free.

And you are proud of exploiting children?

Daniel

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
And you are proud of exploiting children?

No, I am deeply ashamed. It is no excuse that they enjoy the
work, entertain the crowds that gather (the showers are on public
promenades), get extra hidden tips from the swimmers (which, btw,
I am trying to stamp out or get a cut of). But I have checked
with my lawyers and it is perfectly legal if it is done in a
certain way. Apparently there is a little known 19th century
Australian law that allows it, if, in effect, the adult openly
dresses in the manner of Fagin and stoops around smiling with
coins jingling ostentatiously in the pocket.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:58:00 GMT
dorayme scribed:
I understand you earn big money at web related things. Good for
you. I make my money in another way:

Ahh, there's more to the story but I won't explain it because doing so can
only be detrimental to my personal fortune. I'm not the greatest web
author or programmer who ever lived; there are people here undoubtedly
better and more talented, but sometimes I do have a certain tenacity of
purpose which serves me in good form and circumstances have smiled upon me
occasionally as well.
In Australia at the beaches, there are are public showers. For
water conservation reasons, the local councils have button taps
on them, these must be kept pressed for the water to flow. They
are small and smooth and the tiles or stainless steel sheeting
behind them are smooth too (precluding any easy jamming device).
It is very hard to keep the shower going without a human finger.

I employ an army of little boys and girls (these little suckers I
pay absolute peanuts to) to offer swimmers, for a small fee, to
hold the button that keeps the public showers going. It is a big
money spinner and as a result, I am able to offer my web services
completely for free.

Just goes to show what an obdurate finger can accomplish.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:04:03 GMT
(e-mail address removed) scribed:
And you are proud of exploiting children?

What else are they good for (-possibly besides an occasional snack)?