Mr Oldies fan club

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Nov 17, 2013.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    I found a forum in which a few users are saying my oldies site is something
    that has been needed for a long time.
    That is my goal.
    To become a presence in the light of youtube.
    It's just going to take time to build it.
    After all, youtube started with one simple post.

    So maybe in 30 years I could become a millionaire and live off the site eh?
    yeah right.
    richard, Nov 17, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <2h6oxndzou50$>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > So maybe in 30 years I could become a millionaire and live off the site eh?
    > yeah right


    If you become a billionaire in that time you can arrange to have
    flowers regularly adorn the graves of all who have helped you get
    there.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 17, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:22:35 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >I found a forum in which a few users are saying my oldies site is something
    >that has been needed for a long time.


    hahahah. Bullshit.

    Let's see the link.

    >That is my goal.
    >To become a presence in the light of youtube.
    >It's just going to take time to build it.


    As I said, it's going to take you DECADES. Anyone with experience
    would have it done in days.

    >After all, youtube started with one simple post.
    >
    >So maybe in 30 years I could become a millionaire and live off the site eh?
    >yeah right.


    And maybe in 30 years, you'll have a dome home completed too.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 18, 2013
    #3
  4. On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:22:35 -0500, richard wrote:

    > I found a forum in which a few users are saying my oldies site is
    > something that has been needed for a long time.


    In other news, the continental USA has been attacked and completely
    overwhelmed by squadrons of Iranian aero-porcines.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Nov 18, 2013
    #4
  5. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
    <> wrote:

    >In other news, the continental USA has been attacked and completely
    >overwhelmed by squadrons of Iranian aero-porcines.


    I'd be willing to bet I found it.

    http://www.top40db.net/forum/?nStep=1&PostID=38743

    Don in Canada says
    "A 'friend' is just putting the finishing touches to this site
    mroldies.net/
    Far from done, it is still a work in progress

    He wants to put every charted Billboard song up! BALLS!!!!
    It's not very eye-candy driven, but for what it does...amazing"

    Doesn't look like "a few people" but the sky is a different color in
    bullis's world.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 18, 2013
    #5
  6. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In other news, the continental USA has been attacked and completely
    >>> overwhelmed by squadrons of Iranian aero-porcines.

    >>
    >> I'd be willing to bet I found it.
    >>
    >> http://www.top40db.net/forum/?nStep=1&PostID=38743
    >>
    >> Don in Canada says
    >> "A 'friend' is just putting the finishing touches to this site
    >> mroldies.net/
    >> Far from done, it is still a work in progress
    >>
    >> He wants to put every charted Billboard song up! BALLS!!!!
    >> It's not very eye-candy driven, but for what it does...amazing"
    >>
    >> Doesn't look like "a few people" but the sky is a different color in
    >> bullis's world.
    >>

    >
    > I normally ignore all this crap about his site and stuff. But, I can't
    > remember, has there been any discussion about copyrights regarding his
    > pages?
    >

    There has been a *lot* of discussion about copyrights. RtS doesn't think that the copyright
    laws apply to him -- he's apparently under some delusions about "fair use" exemption.
    Doug Miller, Nov 19, 2013
    #6
  7. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:12:36 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >I normally ignore all this crap about his site and stuff. But, I can't
    >remember, has there been any discussion about copyrights regarding his
    >pages?


    "Unlike other database sites, I am a legally licensed broadcaster so I
    can offer the actual tunes online. "

    I wonder what his belief of being a 'legally licensed broadcaster'
    entails.

    I'd bet he's 100% wrong.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 19, 2013
    #7
  8. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 20:14:51 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:12:36 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >>I normally ignore all this crap about his site and stuff. But, I can't
    >>remember, has there been any discussion about copyrights regarding his
    >>pages?

    >
    > "Unlike other database sites, I am a legally licensed broadcaster so I
    > can offer the actual tunes online. "
    >
    > I wonder what his belief of being a 'legally licensed broadcaster'
    > entails.
    >
    > I'd bet he's 100% wrong.


    see the US COpyright office. Look up infringement.
    my host said I needed a license to broadcast.
    I'm not about to give up mu work over the issue of a licemse and get
    slapped into court and wind up paying a huge fine for not having a license.
    richard, Nov 19, 2013
    #8
  9. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 03:18:27 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In other news, the continental USA has been attacked and completely
    >>>> overwhelmed by squadrons of Iranian aero-porcines.
    >>>
    >>> I'd be willing to bet I found it.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.top40db.net/forum/?nStep=1&PostID=38743
    >>>
    >>> Don in Canada says
    >>> "A 'friend' is just putting the finishing touches to this site
    >>> mroldies.net/
    >>> Far from done, it is still a work in progress
    >>>
    >>> He wants to put every charted Billboard song up! BALLS!!!!
    >>> It's not very eye-candy driven, but for what it does...amazing"
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't look like "a few people" but the sky is a different color in
    >>> bullis's world.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I normally ignore all this crap about his site and stuff. But, I can't
    >> remember, has there been any discussion about copyrights regarding his
    >> pages?
    >>

    > There has been a *lot* of discussion about copyrights. RtS doesn't think that the copyright
    > laws apply to him -- he's apparently under some delusions about "fair use" exemption.


    What makes you think I am violating copyright law?
    Just because someone slapped "copyright" on a web page doesn't mean it is.
    Lists can not be copyrighted.
    There is nothing on my site that is copyright protected by Billboard.
    That is why I have a license. So I can legally broadcast the music.

    And yes, "fair use" can be applied.
    But since you seem to be a copyright attorney, why don't you file charges
    against me and take me to court?
    richard, Nov 19, 2013
    #9
  10. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:12:36 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In other news, the continental USA has been attacked and completely
    >>> overwhelmed by squadrons of Iranian aero-porcines.

    >>
    >> I'd be willing to bet I found it.
    >>
    >> http://www.top40db.net/forum/?nStep=1&PostID=38743
    >>
    >> Don in Canada says
    >> "A 'friend' is just putting the finishing touches to this site
    >> mroldies.net/
    >> Far from done, it is still a work in progress
    >>
    >> He wants to put every charted Billboard song up! BALLS!!!!
    >> It's not very eye-candy driven, but for what it does...amazing"
    >>
    >> Doesn't look like "a few people" but the sky is a different color in
    >> bullis's world.
    >>

    >
    > I normally ignore all this crap about his site and stuff. But, I can't
    > remember, has there been any discussion about copyrights regarding his
    > pages?


    what in particular are you asking about?
    richard, Nov 19, 2013
    #10
  11. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 23:27:33 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >And yes, "fair use" can be applied.
    >But since you seem to be a copyright attorney, why don't you file charges
    >against me and take me to court?


    And that my friends is proof bullis doesn't understand how copyright
    laws work.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 19, 2013
    #11
  12. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:00:35 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:12:36 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>>> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> In other news, the continental USA has been attacked and completely
    >>>>> overwhelmed by squadrons of Iranian aero-porcines.
    >>>>
    >>>> I'd be willing to bet I found it.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.top40db.net/forum/?nStep=1&PostID=38743
    >>>>
    >>>> Don in Canada says
    >>>> "A 'friend' is just putting the finishing touches to this site
    >>>> mroldies.net/
    >>>> Far from done, it is still a work in progress
    >>>>
    >>>> He wants to put every charted Billboard song up! BALLS!!!!
    >>>> It's not very eye-candy driven, but for what it does...amazing"
    >>>>
    >>>> Doesn't look like "a few people" but the sky is a different color in
    >>>> bullis's world.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I normally ignore all this crap about his site and stuff. But, I can't
    >>> remember, has there been any discussion about copyrights regarding his
    >>> pages?

    >>
    >> what in particular are you asking about?
    >>

    >
    > You mention in other replies that you have a license to broadcast. What
    > license and issued by whom?


    ASCAP and BMI.
    BMI=Broadcast Music Inc.
    ASCAP=American Society of Composers, Authors and Producers.
    Each author belongs to one or the other.
    You pay an annual fee for the legal right to air the music.
    Every radio station pays the same fees for the same rights.
    You can also get a "blanket" license from the Library of Congress.

    With ASCAP they want a quarterly report showing which songs were played
    during that time so the artists or authors can get paid.
    How that part works I have no idea.

    In the music industry, artists are paid first by the sale of a record.
    Then they are paid by a "performance", and that is defined by law as merely
    broadcasting the song.

    Then there is another type of license called "mechanical" which is for when
    you want to include the song with a video.That is obtained from the
    producer or label of the song.

    Both ASCAP and BMI websites have a page explaining the "blanket" license.
    Or as they call it, "new media".
    richard, Nov 19, 2013
    #12
  13. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    richard <> wrote in news:59e9d8hkqiqb$.nxd10gdt91sx$.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > What makes you think I am violating copyright law?


    The literally hundreds of audio files of copyrighted music you have there.

    > Just because someone slapped "copyright" on a web page doesn't mean it is.


    Wrong again.

    > Lists can not be copyrighted.


    Wrong again.

    > There is nothing on my site that is copyright protected by Billboard.


    That may or may not be true...

    > That is why I have a license. So I can legally broadcast the music.


    Oh, you have, have you? When did that magically happen, after all these years of insisting
    that you didn't need to do anything? How much do you pay ASCAP and RIAA in royalties?
    >
    > And yes, "fair use" can be applied.


    No, it can't.

    > But since you seem to be a copyright attorney, why don't you file charges
    > against me and take me to court?


    You don't understand *anything* about the legal system, do you?
    1) There are no "charges" to be filed, because you're not committing a crime. Infringing a
    copyright is a civil offense.
    2) Since it's not *my* copyright that you're infringing, I have no standing to take any legal
    action against you, because I'm not being harmed by your infringement of a copyright
    belonging to someone else.
    3) I imagine that, in due time, those "someone elses" whose copyrights you are infringing
    will notice that, and then they will take you to court -- at which time their attorneys and the
    judge will explain to you how copyright law works.
    Doug Miller, Nov 19, 2013
    #13
  14. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:02:54 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:00:35 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>
    >>> richard wrote:
    >>>> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:12:36 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>>>>> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
    >>>>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> In other news, the continental USA has been attacked and completely
    >>>>>>> overwhelmed by squadrons of Iranian aero-porcines.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I'd be willing to bet I found it.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> http://www.top40db.net/forum/?nStep=1&PostID=38743
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Don in Canada says
    >>>>>> "A 'friend' is just putting the finishing touches to this site
    >>>>>> mroldies.net/
    >>>>>> Far from done, it is still a work in progress
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> He wants to put every charted Billboard song up! BALLS!!!!
    >>>>>> It's not very eye-candy driven, but for what it does...amazing"
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Doesn't look like "a few people" but the sky is a different color in
    >>>>>> bullis's world.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I normally ignore all this crap about his site and stuff. But, I can't
    >>>>> remember, has there been any discussion about copyrights regarding his
    >>>>> pages?
    >>>>
    >>>> what in particular are you asking about?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> You mention in other replies that you have a license to broadcast. What
    >>> license and issued by whom?

    >>
    >> ASCAP and BMI.
    >> BMI=Broadcast Music Inc.
    >> ASCAP=American Society of Composers, Authors and Producers.
    >> Each author belongs to one or the other.
    >> You pay an annual fee for the legal right to air the music.
    >> Every radio station pays the same fees for the same rights.
    >> You can also get a "blanket" license from the Library of Congress.
    >>
    >> With ASCAP they want a quarterly report showing which songs were played
    >> during that time so the artists or authors can get paid.
    >> How that part works I have no idea.
    >>
    >> In the music industry, artists are paid first by the sale of a record.
    >> Then they are paid by a "performance", and that is defined by law as merely
    >> broadcasting the song.
    >>
    >> Then there is another type of license called "mechanical" which is for when
    >> you want to include the song with a video.That is obtained from the
    >> producer or label of the song.
    >>
    >> Both ASCAP and BMI websites have a page explaining the "blanket" license.
    >> Or as they call it, "new media".
    >>

    >
    > Oh my God.
    >
    > Let's all send the URL: http://mroldies.net/
    >
    > to ASCAP and BMI and see what happens.
    >
    > www.ascap.com
    >
    > www.bmi.com
    >
    > If he really does have a "license" he will be paying for
    > plays/downloads/uses. So, let's all go to his site and stream endlessly.
    >
    > Until he comes clean, my belief is there is no way his site is free for
    > him. I've had some dealings with the rights organizations and years of
    > copyright issues.
    >
    > I know the guy's an obvious idiouit but ...


    and if you get a response, they will tell you that I have paid my dues to
    them.
    my host is satisfied that I have the licenses.
    I could care less what you're pathetic little opinion is.

    wassamatter bunky? did you get sued over copyright infringement?
    richard, Nov 20, 2013
    #14
  15. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > richard wrote:

    ....
    > Oh my God.
    >
    > Let's all send the URL: http://m...
    >
    > to ASCAP and BMI and see what happens.
    >


    Let's not! Surely this sort of thing lowers the tone of this
    potentially useful newsgroup. Why encourage the lynch mob mentality
    that is always present in usenet?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 20, 2013
    #15
  16. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:46:06 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
    <> wrote:

    >You don't understand *anything* about the legal system, do you?


    No, he doesn't. He's said before "If you believe I have child porn on
    my computer, go to your court and file charges against me for it."
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 20, 2013
    #16
  17. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:43:07 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >and if you get a response, they will tell you that I have paid my dues to
    >them.


    Right.

    >my host is satisfied that I have the licenses.


    Your host doesn't care.

    >I could care less what you're pathetic little opinion is.


    Maybe you should look up the difference between could and couldn't.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 20, 2013
    #17
  18. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:57:08 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >ASCAP and BMI.
    >BMI=Broadcast Music Inc.
    >ASCAP=American Society of Composers, Authors and Producers.
    >Each author belongs to one or the other.
    >You pay an annual fee for the legal right to air the music.
    >Every radio station pays the same fees for the same rights.
    >You can also get a "blanket" license from the Library of Congress.


    Really? Please provide a link to where I can get a license from the
    Library of Congress.

    >With ASCAP they want a quarterly report showing which songs were played
    >during that time so the artists or authors can get paid.
    >How that part works I have no idea.


    But you have a license from ASCAP. So you need to have a way to tell
    them how much you broadcasted.

    So which is it?
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 20, 2013
    #18
  19. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in
    news::

    > On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:43:07 -0500, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>and if you get a response, they will tell you that I have paid my dues to
    >>them.

    >
    > Right.
    >
    >>my host is satisfied that I have the licenses.

    >
    > Your host doesn't care.
    >
    >>I could care less what you're pathetic little opinion is.

    >
    > Maybe you should look up the difference between could and couldn't.


    And the difference between you're and your.
    Doug Miller, Nov 20, 2013
    #19
  20. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:15:19 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
    <> wrote:

    >And the difference between you're and your.


    That too :)
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Nov 20, 2013
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. goosen_cug

    finding C++ fan!

    goosen_cug, Jul 1, 2006, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    461
    goosen_cug
    Jul 1, 2006
  2. Rick DeNatale

    An Update for my "Fan"

    Rick DeNatale, Mar 15, 2009, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    78
    Rick DeNatale
    Mar 15, 2009
  3. Jack Christensen

    [ANN] tern - The SQL Fan's Migrator

    Jack Christensen, Feb 8, 2011, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    112
    Jack Christensen
    Feb 8, 2011
  4. Radium

    Oldies Jscript

    Radium, Mar 8, 2007, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    154
  5. Kaz Kylheku

    some c.l.c. oldies

    Kaz Kylheku, Apr 22, 2014, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    74
    Jens Schweikhardt
    Apr 23, 2014
Loading...

Share This Page