MS Access Memo Field and ASP

Jim Plante

I have a memo field in a MS Access table. The contents of the field may look
like this:

1. This is number one
2. This is number 2

3. Skipping lines is fun if your #3

But when I write it out to my web page using my ASP code {something like:
rsJobs.Fields("notes") }

it looks like this on the web page:

1. This is number one 2. This is number 2 3.Skipping
lines is fun if your #3

How can I make it show up like it is in the memo field - it seems like the
carriage return / line feeds are being ignored or translated into spaces or
something

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,
Jim

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

HTML doesn't respect white space -- imagine if it did?

There would be a bunch of tabs and carriage returns rendered to the browser!
I'm glad HTML disregards this white space, otherwise we'd go absolutely
nutso maintaining strictly coded (and hence unreadable) HTML pages ... and
presentation would be tied to coding, yuck. The whole beauty of HTML is
that the code doesn't have to look anything like the presentation.

Remember that an ASP page is simply returning HTML to the browser, and that
when your memo column contains

line 1
line 2

This is what gets inserted directly into the HTML. So, to replace white
space, see http://www.aspfaq.com/2188