MS Access(with special characters) -> MySQL

Ruby Tuesday

How do I transfer my MS Access DB to MySQL?

One issue though, in Access I have some special character such fraction,
backquote, etc ...

how do I replace those characters to ASCI equivalent when transfering to
MySQL, or do I have to do it outside MySQL? Thanks

Garp

Ruby Tuesday said:
How do I transfer my MS Access DB to MySQL?

One issue though, in Access I have some special character such fraction,
backquote, etc ...

how do I replace those characters to ASCI equivalent when transfering to
MySQL, or do I have to do it outside MySQL? Thanks

The usual thing is to export to a non-proprietary format (CSV is handy) and
then import it to your target. phpMyAdmin is very good at importing CSV.
Hopefully the characters you're worried about will survive the export, MS
Access isn't that poor.

Btw, kudos on moving it to MySQL!

Garp

Ruby Tuesdays

I did export them to CSV text but the fraction(and other non-ascii)
characters still there? Helllllllllllllppp!

Lothar Scholz

Hello Ruby,

Saturday, April 10, 2004, 6:19:16 AM, you wrote:

RT> I did export them to CSV text but the fraction(and other non-ascii)
RT> characters still there? Helllllllllllllppp!

Welcome to the hell of database migration, or the heaven if you are a
paid consultant :).

I'm afraid that you have to write your own little CSV parser that does
character conversion and quote handling. Should take only a few hours.

The big players, Oracle, IBM, SAP/MySQL could improve the situation
but they also get about 2000 US$ for one day consulting. So why should
they change anything by implementing a common standart ?