MS Powerpoint AppPool Identity

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ben Dewey, May 11, 2006.

  1. Ben Dewey

    Ben Dewey Guest

    everyone,

    I have a ASP.NET 2.0 application that is creating powerpoint documents on
    the fly using powerpoint com objects that are installed on the server. I am
    having some issues with security

    It is currently working, but the website is running as administrator and I
    would like to tighten up those permissions.

    The website is a stand alone site. I created its own AppPool called
    PowerpointAppPool

    The website is loaded into that pool. If I set the identity to my own
    personal Administrator Account everything works fine.

    What I tried to do:

    1. I created a Domain User account called PPT ACCESS
    2. I set the Identity on the PowerpointAppPool to PPT ACCESS with the
    password i set
    3. then I went to AdminTools->Component Services->DCOM Config and set the
    PPT ACCESS user to full launch/access/config privilidges on Microsoft
    Powerpoint Presentation

    I thought that would do it, but no good.

    1. Is this what I should be doing?
    2. Is there another service in DCOM that needs to be enabled (eg. a global
    MS Office App)?
    3. Is there a way to debug where the access failure is coming from?

    Ben Dewey, May 11, 2006

  2. http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2006/05/11/Office_Automation_and_IIS.aspx

    --
    //David
    IIS

    David Wang [Msft], May 12, 2006

  3. Have you also added your PPT Access user into the IIS_WPG group, else it
    won't have access to all of the .NEt areas it needs to.

    Paul Walsh

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBXYWxzaA==?=, May 12, 2006