MS Sync Framework & SQL Server 2000 & 250k+ records

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Granby, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. Granby

    Granby Guest

    The databases being synchronised had thirteen tables in total. Adding 5000
    rows of data to each table and synchronising caused no problems.

    However, when the live data was inserted into the sync server database, an
    unhandled exception occurred (see below for details). Some of the tables
    contained very few records, but the largest contained 250,000+ records.

    We where unable to complete a Sync without receiving the error below, we had
    to work around the problem by only inserting 5k records per table, then
    Syncing until all data was the same on both side (was a lot of work)...

    The server is running Windows Serer 2003, with SQL 2000, while the Client is
    running Server 2003 with SQL 2005; the server solution has been created using
    the Sync Designer (VB) while the client has been created from custom code
    (C#).

    Smaller record sets (say 5k rows per table) had no problems syncing, it was
    only once we hit 250k+ records we received the error, the size of the data is
    *around* 75Mb

    The client application was developed by a third party, while the Server side
    was developed by ourselves and we both had internal client and server
    applications to test with.

    When we tested over the LAN internally we tested with 250k + records and got
    mixed results, sometimes it would Sync other times we would get the error.
    We attempted to increase the timeouts in IIS and also in the app.config to
    no avail.
    When we started to do testing over the WCF service we received the error all
    the time with no successful syncs at all, just receiving the error as below.

    The time between the errors was also quite different, sometimes it would
    occur within 2 min of the sync, next time it was 10, 15 or back to 2 min, so
    there was no pattern with the length between the errors.

    Has anyone seen this before or know why this could be?

    Thanks in advance.

    ERROR:

    System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: An error occurred while
    receiving the HTTP response to
    https://secure.granbymarketing.com/...ervicelibrary_sak2009.providersyncservice.svc.
    This could be due to the service endpoint binding not using the HTTP
    protocol. This could also be due to an HTTP request context being aborted by
    the server (possibly due to the service shutting down). See server logs for
    more details. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was
    closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. --->
    System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An
    existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. --->
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly
    closed by the remote host
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32
    size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset,
    Int32 size)
    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset,
    Int32 size)
    at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset,
    Int32 count)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartFrameHeader(Byte[] buffer, Int32
    offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartReading(Byte[] buffer, Int32
    offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32
    offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.TlsStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean
    userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    at
    System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)

    Server stack trace:
    at
    System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException
    webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
    at
    System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message,
    TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message
    message, TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action,
    Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs,
    TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action,
    Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
    at
    System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage
    message)

    Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage
    reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&
    msgData, Int32 type)
    at
    Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Remote.GranbyServiceReference.IProviderSyncContract.GetChanges(SyncGroupMetadata groupMetadata, SyncSession syncSession)
    at
    Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Remote.GranbyServiceReference.ProviderSyncContractClient.GetChanges(SyncGroupMetadata
    groupMetadata, SyncSession syncSession) in C:\Projects\Sainsburys -
    Trunk\applications\ActiveKids.Cache\source\Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Remote\Service References\GranbyServiceReference\Reference.cs:line 83
    at
    Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Remote.AkServerSyncProviderProxy.GetChanges(SyncGroupMetadata
    groupMetadata, SyncSession syncSession) in C:\Projects\Sainsburys -
    Trunk\applications\ActiveKids.Cache\source\Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Remote\AkServerSyncProviderProxy.cs:line 52
    at
    Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Entities.Sync.Server.AkServerSyncProvider.GetChanges(SyncGroupMetadata
    groupMetadata, SyncSession syncSession) in C:\Projects\Sainsburys -
    Trunk\applications\ActiveKids.Cache\source\Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Entities\Sync\Server\AkServerSyncProvider.cs:line 53
    at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncAgent.DownloadChanges(SyncGroupMetadata
    groupMetadata)
    at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncAgent.DataSynchronize()
    at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncAgent.Synchronize()
    at
    Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Entities.Verification.SyncManager.Synchronize()
    in C:\Projects\Sainsburys -
    Trunk\applications\ActiveKids.Cache\source\Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Entities\Verification\SyncManager.cs:line 81
    at Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache.Program.Main() in
    C:\Projects\Sainsburys -
    Trunk\applications\ActiveKids.Cache\source\Akqa.Sainsburys.ActiveKids.Cache\Program.cs:line 27
    Granby, Dec 9, 2008