MSc in Computer Science, at Bristol or UCL?

stathopoulosee

I would like to have some information about the reputation, campus life

and job opportunities of these two universities. Among of these two
universities, which is regarded most distinguished in the UK and
especially in the area of CS and which would lead to a better academic
career? I am also interested about the cost of life, in Bristol and in
London and which of these cities is more beautiful?

I welcome everyone who studies or lives there to guide me through this
difficult selection of postgraduate programs.

Thank's in advance.

Phlip

stathopoulosee said:
I would like to have some information about the reputation, campus life

and job opportunities of these two universities.

Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first.

This post is intended to give the new reader an introduction to reading
and posting in this newsgroup. We respectfully request that you read
all the way through this post, as it helps make for a more pleasant
and useful group for everyone.

First of all, please keep in mind that comp.lang.c++ is a group for
discussion
of general issues of the C++ programming language, as defined by the
ANSI/ISO
language standard. If you have a problem that is specific to a particular
system
or compiler, you are much more likely to get complete and accurate answers
in a
group that specializes in your platform. A listing of some newsgroups is
given
at the end of this post.

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) list has a wealth of information for
both the new and veteran C++ programmer. No matter what your experience
level, you are encouraged to read the entire list, if only to familiarize
yourself with what answers are available to minimize redundant replies.
The comp.lang.c++ FAQ is available at http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

If the FAQ list does not help, then many regular readers of this group
are happy to assist with problems of standard C++. We have only a few
requests that we ask be adhered to, for the benefit of all:

* Please put a short summary in the subject line. Descriptions such as
"HELP!!!!!!" are not helpful, and many regular posters ignore such
requests. A good example is, "Problem with Virtual Functions."

* State the question or the problem clearly and concisely. Describe what
you are trying to do, and the problem you are running into. Include all
relevant error messages.

* Include the smallest, complete and compilable program that exhibits your
problem. As a rule, posters in comp.lang.c++ will not do homework, but
will
give helpful hints if you have shown some willingness to try a solution.

* comp.lang.c++ is forum for discussion, and as such some regular posters do
not give E-mail replies. Very often follow-ups to postings have
corrections,
so plan on taking part in the discussion if you post a question. If you
do receive e-mail replies, it is considered polite to post a summary.

* Don't post in HTML format. Many readers of this newsgroup don't use
newsreaders which can handle HTML postings.

* If you have to include source code in your post, include the
source in the message body. Don't use attachments. A lot
of contributors to this newsgroup won't even notice the existence
of attachments or won't open them. You try to get any help
you can get, don't you?

Some netiquette topics which frequently crop up on comp.lang.c++ are
also answered in the FAQ.

* Should I post job advertisements and/or resumes on comp.lang.c++?
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

* What if I really need a job; should I post my resume on comp.lang.c++?
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.10

* What should I do to someone who posts something off-topic?
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.11

A note on comp.lang.c++ etiquette: Accuracy is valued very highly in this
newsgroup; therefore posts are frequently corrected, sometimes perhaps
too harshly, and often to the annoyance of new posters who consider the
correction trivial. Do not take it personally; the best way to fit in
with comp.lang.c++ is to express gratitude for the correction, move on,
and be more careful next time.

This is a very busy group, so these requests are designed to make it as
pleasant and efficient an experience as possible. We hope it proves
a valuable commodity to you.

A list of some Newsgroups :
Languages and Programming
-------------------------
comp.lang.c The C Programming Language
comp.lang.asm.x86 x86 assembly language programming
comp.programming Non-language specific programming
comp.graphics.algorithms Issues of computer graphics

Operating Systems
-----------------
comp.os.msdos.programmer DOS, BIOS, Memory Models, interrupts,
screen handling, hardware
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 MS/Windows: Mice, DLLs, hardware
comp.os.os2.programmer.misc OS/2 Programming
comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc Macintosh Programming
comp.unix.programmer General Unix: processes, pipes, POSIX,
curses, sockets
comp.unix.[vendor] Various Unix vendors

Microsoft VC++
-------------
microsoft.public.vc.language VC++ issues
microsoft.public.vc.mfc MFC Issues

Borland C++ Builder
-------------------
borland.public.cppbuilder.language Borland C++ Builder
borland.public.cpp.language

-Shiva
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/

Stuart Golodetz

I would like to have some information about the reputation, campus life

and job opportunities of these two universities. Among of these two
universities, which is regarded most distinguished in the UK and
especially in the area of CS and which would lead to a better academic
career? I am also interested about the cost of life, in Bristol and in
London and which of these cities is more beautiful?

I welcome everyone who studies or lives there to guide me through this
difficult selection of postgraduate programs.

Thank's in advance.

You're asking in the wrong place unfortunately. This newsgroup is for C++
language discussions. (And the occasional religious debate about code
formatting, but I digress... :)) For what it's worth:

[OT]
You'd be better off visiting Bristol and UCL to see which you like better,
other people can't really tell you what they're like. Especially if you post
to a newsgroup full of people trying to discuss something else :) Posting
off-topic is not usually welcomed with open arms.

In brief, from my limited knowledge I would say the following: they both
have good reputations and probably good job opportunities (there's probably
more information on the universities' careers pages). If you like huge
cities, London is more likely to be your thing; if you like smaller ones you
might prefer Bristol. The cost of living in London is exorbitant, I'm not
sure what the cost of living in Bristol is like. In terms of beauty, it's in
the eye of the beholder, you need to visit them to decide. I don't know
which has a better reputation for computer science, in truth. I suspect many
employers don't have a detailed knowledge of what individual departments are
like, so in practice they will judge you on the perceived quality of your
university as a whole, rather than your department. Both Bristol and UCL are
well-regarded in the UK.

HTH,
Stu
[/OT]