MSDE, ASP.NET, Visual Studio .NET, and connectionstrings

Nathan Sokalski

I have Visual Studio .NET and SQL Server Desktop Engine on my computer. I
have created an empty database using Visual Studio .NET's Server Explorer.
However, I am having trouble connecting to the database using ASP.NET. I
think the problem is somewhere in my connection string, but because I do not
know much about connection strings, I am not sure what it should look like.
Can someone please help me determine what my connection string should look
like? I am using the version of IIS that comes with XP Pro. Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

1. Create at least one empty table in that database,
using the Server Explorer.

2. Use the Server Explorer's "Add Connection" wizard
( right-click "Data Connections" ) to create a connection.

3. The connection string will be created for you.

4. Right-click the created connection and select Properties.

5. Copy the connection string from the "Properties" box.

Nathan Sokalski

I have tried that, but the connectionstring that is created has plenty of
stuff in it that gives me errors. For example:

Server Error in '/PAPresenters' Application.

Keyword not supported: 'provider'.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Keyword not supported:
'provider'.

Source Error:

Line 28:
Line 29: Private Sub btnExecute_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object,
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnExecute.Click
Line 30: Dim myconnection As New
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection("Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated
Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=papresenters;Data
Source=NJS;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet
Size=4096;Workstation ID=NJS;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column
collation when possible=False")
Line 31: Dim cmdTesting As New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
Line 32: Dim dataadapter As New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\DBtest.aspx.vb Line: 30

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Keyword not supported: 'provider'.]
System.Data.Common.DBConnectionString.ParseInternal(Char[]
connectionString, UdlSupport checkForUdl, NameValuePair& keychain) +1133
System.Data.Common.DBConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString,
UdlSupport checkForUdl) +114
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString)
+13
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString.ParseString(String
connectionString) +96
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value)
+11
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection..ctor(String connectionString) +158
PAPresenters.DBtest.btnExecute_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\DBtest.aspx.vb:30
eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

Although I don't know much about connectionstrings, the little bit of
experience I have leads me to think that the connectionstring generated by
Visual Studio .NET has a lot more stuff in it than necessary, but either way
it is not working. Why is this, and how can I fix it? Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

It looks like you selected the wrong provider when creating the connection.

You should select the ".NET Framework Data Provider for SQL Server"
for a provider.

Try it using that provider. You should get a correct string if you do.

If you still have problems, try a simpler connection string :

"Server=NJS;Integrated Security=True;Database=papresenters"

That assumes that your MSDE's instance name is "NJS"
and that your database name is "papresenters".

Nathan Sokalski said:
I have tried that, but the connectionstring that is created has plenty of stuff in it
that gives me errors. For example:

Server Error in '/PAPresenters' Application.

Keyword not supported: 'provider'.
request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it
originated in the code.

[...]

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String

--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)

Juan T. Llibre said:
1. Create at least one empty table in that database,
using the Server Explorer.

2. Use the Server Explorer's "Add Connection" wizard
( right-click "Data Connections" ) to create a connection.

3. The connection string will be created for you.

4. Right-click the created connection and select Properties.

5. Copy the connection string from the "Properties" box.

IIS Guru

Hello Nathan,

Try the following connection string

"Driver={SQL Server};Server=127.0.0.1;Database=<database>;Uid=sa;Pwd=;"enter
the name of the database, the user and the password in the appropriate
places.This info will most likely go in your web.config. The following is a
great site forconnection strings http://www.connectionstrings.com/-- IIS
Guruhttp://www.iisassistance.com

Nathan Sokalski

I think I am now passed the problem of the connectionstring, but am
recieving a login failed error, as follows:

Server Error in '/PAPresenters' Application.

Login failed for user 'NJS\ASPNET'.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user
'NJS\ASPNET'.

Source Error:

Line 33: cmdTesting.CommandText = txtSQLStatement.Text
Line 34: cmdTesting.Connection = myconnection
Line 35: myconnection.Open()
Line 36: cmdTesting.ExecuteNonQuery()
Line 37: myconnection.Close()

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\DBtest.aspx.vb Line: 35

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Login failed for user 'NJS\ASPNET'.]
System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean&
isInTransaction) +474
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString
options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +372
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384
PAPresenters.DBtest.btnExecute_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\DBtest.aspx.vb:35
eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

I create my connection as follows:
Dim myconnection As New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection("Data
Source=NJS;Initial Catalog=papresenters;Integrated Security=SSPI;")

I did not create a username or password when I created the database. I know
what the user ASPNET is, so do I just need to include that somewhere in the
connectionstring? If I do, do I need to include a password along with it? If
so, what would this password be (my windows password?)? Thanks again.

Juan T. Llibre

I think I tried it under .NET Beta 2, instead of .NET 1.1.
Nevertheless, try the simpler connection string I suggested.

Per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmsde2kwrk/html/msde2000webapp.asp
a slightly more optimized connection string is :

"Server=localhost;Database=Pics2Share;Trusted_Connection=True;
Connection Timeout=60;Pooling=True;Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=5"

But the simpler connection string I suggested
should give you basic connectivity :

"Server=NJS;Integrated Security=True;Database=papresenters"

The optimized connection string for your case would be :

"Server=NJS;Database=papresenters;Trusted_Connection=True;
Connection Timeout=60;Pooling=True;Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=5"

You could also use
"Server=(local);Database=papresenters;Trusted_Connection=True;
Connection Timeout=60;Pooling=True;Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=5"

Using Trusted_Connection should prevent the error you're getting:
Login failed for user 'NJS\ASPNET'.

That is not one of the listed providers. the listed providers that are brought up are:

If there is somewhere on the web that I can download the provider you mentioned from, I
would like to know about it, but right now all I have are the ones shown above. Thanks.
--

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

I eventually got past the Login Failed error by adding permissions for
NJS\ASPNET to the database file. However, I am now recieving the following
error:

Server Error in '/PAPresenters' Application.

SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not
exist or access denied.

[...]

I have SQL Server Desktop Engine running (when I hover my cursor over the
icon in the system tray it says "Running - \\NJS - MSSQLSERVER" and the icon
shows the green arrow, which means it is running). What am I not doing?
Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate the quick responses.
--

Nathan Sokalski said:
I have tried that, but the connectionstring that is created has plenty of
stuff in it
that gives me errors. For example:

Server Error in '/PAPresenters' Application.

Keyword not supported: 'provider'.
current web
[...]

+33

[...]

Did you try the connection strings I suggested,
or are you still using the other connection strings ?

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

Cor Ligthert

Nathan,

Can you create something as this

\\\
Dim conn As New SqlClient.SqlConnection("Server=MyServerName;" & _
"DataBase=MyDataBase; Integrated Security=SSPI")
Dim cmdTesting as new SqlClient.SQLCommand(txtSQLStatemement.Text,Conn)
Try
conn.open
try
cmdTesting.ExecuteNonQuery()
Catch ex as exception
response.redirect("ex.Tostring")
End Try
Catch ex as exception
response.Redirect("ex.Tostring")
Finally
conn.close
End Try
///

The reason of the error should now be showed on the page.

I hope this helps,

Cor

Nathan Sokalski

Yes, I used the ones you suggested.
--

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

the current web
[...]

I ran the following code:

Dim conn As New
SqlClient.SqlConnection("Server=MyServerName;DataBase=MyDataBase;Integrated
Security=SSPI")

Dim cmdTesting As New SqlClient.SqlCommand(txtSQLStatement.Text, conn)

Try

conn.Open()

Try

cmdTesting.ExecuteNonQuery()

Catch ex As Exception

Response.Write(ex.Tostring)

End Try

Catch ex As Exception

Response.Write(ex.Tostring)

Finally

conn.Close()

End Try

Which returned the following error:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access
denied. at System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean&
isInTransaction) at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString
options, Boolean& isInTransaction) at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at
PAPresenters.DBtest.btnExecute_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\DBtest.aspx.vb:line 41

This is the same error and part of the code that I have been before (line 41
is the conn.Open() line). I am guessing, based on everything that has
happened so far, that the problem is not in my code, but somewhere in the
setup of MSDE (because ASP.NET obviously isn't detecting it). When I start
MSDE using "SQL Server Service Manager" (a tiny utility that does nothing
other than make it easier to start/pause/stop the service), the service that
I select is "SQL Server". There are also 2 other services that can be
started/stopped using this utility which are "SQL Server Agent" and
"Distributed Transaction Coordinator". Is it possible I need to do something
with one of these also?

Juan T. Llibre

Did you try :

"Server=NJS;Trusted_Connection=True;Database=papresenters"

?

On a box where both the web server and MSDE are running, that should connect.
Is there anything else you're doing that you haven't told us ?

Did you read
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmsde2kwrk/html/msde2000webapp.asp

?

There's code samples there which I *know* work.

Nathan Sokalski said:
[...]

web
[...]

Nathan, try this :

Dim conn As New
SqlClient.SqlConnection("Server=NJS;Trusted_Connection=True;Database=papresenters")

and leave the rest of the code as it is now.

re:
There are also 2 other services that can be started/stopped using this utility which are
"SQL Server Agent" and "Distributed Transaction Coordinator". Is it possible I need to
do something with one of these also?

No. You don't need to use those.

Nathan Sokalski

When using that connectionstring I get the following error:

Server Error in '/PAPresenters' Application.

Login failed for user 'NJS\ASPNET'.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user
'NJS\ASPNET'.

Source Error:

Line 32: cmdTesting.CommandText = txtSQLStatement.Text
Line 33: cmdTesting.Connection = myconnection
Line 34: myconnection.Open()
Line 35: cmdTesting.ExecuteNonQuery()
Line 36: myconnection.Close()

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\DBtest.aspx.vb Line: 34

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Login failed for user 'NJS\ASPNET'.]
System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean&
isInTransaction) +474
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString
options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +372
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384
PAPresenters.DBtest.btnExecute_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\DBtest.aspx.vb:34
eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

I don't know of anything I could have done that I haven't told you that
would be related in any way. If there were any more details I could give you
(and there probably are, but I'm not sure how to get them or even what they
would be) I would, but right now I'm pretty much pulling my hair out. I'm
willing to try anything. Thank you for anything you can find.
--

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection
postData) +33

[...]

Download the SQL Web Administrator
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...98-C57A-419E-ACBC-2A332CB7F959&displaylang=en

With it, you can manage logins for MSDE databases.

Add an ad-hoc username to your PAPresenters database,
give it read/write permissions, and include that user in a new
connection string that specifies that user.

Example :

"Data Source=NJS;Initial Catalog=PAPresenters;User Id=YourUser;Password=thePassword;"

You could also add the user NJS\ASPNET to your PAPresenters database,
with the SQL Web Administrator, and use the original connection string supplied: