    actually use Python. How can I rectify this situation? Is there a
    command I am missing? Do I need to manually update the Path, and if so,
    is there a programatic way I can do this? Thanks in advance

    brolewis, Jan 26, 2005

  2. brolewis

    rbt Guest

    brolewis wrote:
    > I am trying to deploy Python onto a number of laptops and have been
    > trying to take advantage of Python 2.4's MSI installer. I have tried
    > using the following commands to install, but to no avail:
    >
    > msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1
    > -- and --
    > msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL
    >
    > However both of these commands fail to update the Windows path to
    > include C:\Python24 and as such creates problems for me when trying to
    > actually use Python. How can I rectify this situation? Is there a
    > command I am missing? Do I need to manually update the Path, and if so,
    > is there a programatic way I can do this? Thanks in advance

    I've always manually updated the path... but I suppose there may be a
    way to do this automatically during install or programatically (bat file
    or py script afterwards). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer
    these questions?

    Best of luck!

    rbt, Jan 26, 2005

  3. brolewis wrote:
    > However both of these commands fail to update the Windows path to
    > include C:\Python24 and as such creates problems for me when trying to
    > actually use Python.

    Not surprisingly so. The Python installation makes no attempt to update
    the PATH, and never did so, in any recent release.

    > How can I rectify this situation?

    There shouldn't be any need to. Just invoke .py files at the command
    line, and Windows will find python.exe itself. If you want to invoke
    it interactively, either use the Start menu, or invoke
    c:\python24\python.exe manually (use the Tab key to not spell out the
    entire path letter-by-letter).

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Jan 27, 2005