msiexec and python-2.6.1.msi

cjl

With previous versions of the Python Windows msi installer, for
example 2.5.4,
I could run the following command from the windows cmd prompt:

msiexec /a C:\python-2.5.4.msi /qn TARGETDIR=C:\python

This would result in a 'full' python installation in the C:\python
directory, inside of which I would find the (necessary) file
msvcr70.dll. Perhaps it was actually msvcr71.dll most recently, I
can't remember. Of
course, this would not register extensions, but I did not want it to.

When I try the same command with python-2.6.1.msi, the file
msvcr90.dll and the manifest file are not created in the python
directory, nor anywhere else on the system.

If, instead, I double click the python-2.6.1.msi installer, the
msvcr90.dll file is created. I have tried msiexec with '/a' and '/i'
command line switches, and every possible combination of options, all
to no avail.

I can't figure out if this is a regression, but it used to work.

I am basing my attempts on the following page:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/msi/

I could not find a similar page for the 2.6 release.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out what I'm
doing wrong?

Thanks,
-cjlesh