MSN IM conflicts with Framework 1.1 ?

Cathy Boland

I've had Framework 1.1 running successfully on my development machine for a
year now. Suddenly I discovered this morning that none of my .NET 1.1
webapplications would run - no errors, just a blank page on the startup
page. This was happening on projects that have been debugged and
successfully running for months.

Puzzled, I removed the only software addition made to my machine since the
last time I tried to work on a .net project - MSN Instant Messenger
(downloaded 2 days ago from the microsoft site). And Voila! .Net is
running just fine now.

Any ideas on what is going on? I would like to able to have IM running on
my development machine.

Cathy Boland

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I have the newest MSN Messenger and Framework 1.1 running fine on my
machine. This is both on a machine where .NET was installed first and one
that is opposite. As such, I am not sure what is happening. What else do you
have installed on the machine that might cause the deadly combination? What
OS are you running? There are too many what ifs to determine the true
culprit.

As an aside, Trillian (albeit at a cost) is a nice IM client, as it allows
you to work with a variety of IM sources (Messenger, Yahoo, et al) in one
single application. Rather cool.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Cathy Boland

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
I have the newest MSN Messenger and Framework 1.1 running fine on my
machine. This is both on a machine where .NET was installed first and one
that is opposite. As such, I am not sure what is happening. What else do you
have installed on the machine that might cause the deadly combination?

Whew - that is tough as this is a development machine with a variety of
microsoft Visual Studio 6, .NET 2002, .NET 2003, third party development
tools, SQL Server 2000, ... you get the idea.
What
OS are you running?

Windows XP pro with SP1 and all of the latest 'critical' updates

There are too many what ifs to determine the true

Yes, just seems odd that IM was the final straw. I haven't a clue on where
to look - I did a search on the ms knowledge base and came up with nada.
As an aside, Trillian (albeit at a cost) is a nice IM client, as it allows
you to work with a variety of IM sources (Messenger, Yahoo, et al) in one
single application. Rather cool.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Cathy

Daniel Melo

This is really a pain!

On my box (W2K Pro with all service packs and fixes, .NET 1.0), I installed
the newest MSN Messenger and since that day I could not remove assemblies
from the GAC !!!! When I uninstalled MSN everything the problem was solved.
This behavor was observed in others computers here.