    Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
    check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
    comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

    dorayme, Jan 7, 2006

  2. In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
    > check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
    > comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

    Are you using version 3.4 of MT-NW? Spelling errors are indicated by a
    red line below what you've typed using version 3.4 and in X Panther. I'm
    too poor to get the hotshot Tiger upgrade :-(
    But I haven't heard any complaints in <news:comp.sys.mac.apps>, and I
    think I would have.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 8, 2006

  3. On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:33:14 +0000, dorayme wrote
    (in article <>):
    > Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
    > check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
    > comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

    How are you getting on with MT-Newswatcher? You said it was driving you nuts
    a few weeks ago (I took careful note!), and since I have just got my new iMac
    (Friday), I have been experimenting with newsreaders. Tried MT-N and hated
    it, but you may like to try Hogwasher - not free, but a free 60 day trial.
    So far I prefer it to MT-Newswatcher, it's a bit nearer Agent in its display,
    though not as good. The filters seem a bit limited though - you can't Ignore
    an author, subject, whatever, only Delete. If you want to take this to email
    I do check the one which should be in the headers from time to time.

    First posting from a Mac so apologies in advance for all errors :)

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

    Sally Thompson, Jan 8, 2006
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
    > > check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
    > > comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

    > Are you using version 3.4 of MT-NW? Spelling errors are indicated by a
    > red line below what you've typed using version 3.4 and in X Panther. I'm
    > too poor to get the hotshot Tiger upgrade :-(
    > But I haven't heard any complaints in <news:comp.sys.mac.apps>, and I
    > think I would have.
    >
    > leo

    I am using latest version 3.4, but what do I do then, actually -
    shock, horror, correct by hand? Look up a dictionary (yes, there
    is a good one on Tiger)? I had thought there would be a spell
    check where you can accept the suggestion or tell the checker to
    learn the word...(latter is important to me). What do you do?
    Does the procedure I outlined in OP work for you in Panther to
    spell check as in (say) Mail?

    I notice that color gets underlined but colour is fine. So it is
    using a dictionary, but not the Tiger one in Utilities. God knows
    which it uses?

    You see I have been spoilt by OE for years which auto uses MS
    Office dictionary!

    I am sort of getting used to this MT thing, not quite liking it
    but assured by so many that it is top quality... so it may just
    be me having to appreciate it! So I am giving it a go.

    Perhaps I better subscribe to this news:comp.sys.mac.apps of
    yours and ask there?

    I do have quite some questions about MT. Perhaps I better take
    them there? One particularly annoying thing for me is not knowing
    how to get new posts on this newsreader without quitting MT and
    starting again. And I notice the search function in the help file
    (website) invariably goes to page not found... Methinks Tiger and
    MT are not altogether well married...

    --
    dorayme

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 8, 2006
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Sally Thompson <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:33:14 +0000, dorayme wrote
    > (in article <>):
    > > Anyone use MT-Newswatcher on X Tiger and know how to get a spell
    > > check working? The procedure to select the Apple dictionary that
    > > comes on Tiger does not work. Any suggestions. Need more info?

    > How are you getting on with MT-Newswatcher? You said it was driving you nuts
    > a few weeks ago (I took careful note!), and since I have just got my new iMac
    > (Friday), I have been experimenting with newsreaders. Tried MT-N and hated
    > it, but you may like to try Hogwasher - not free, but a free 60 day trial.

    Thanks Sally, I am persisting with MT, hoping the claims for its
    quality will seep into my bones in good time. But I will have a
    peek at your suggestion. All the best...

    --
    dorayme

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 8, 2006
  6. In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > I had thought there would be a spell
    > check where you can accept the suggestion or tell the checker to
    > learn the word...(latter is important to me). What do you do?

    Um, lets see, what do I do. Usually I hack around with different
    spelling on the red underlined word till it goes away ;-) I really
    haven't dug into it. I do notice that I have 'Edit->Spelling->Check
    spelling as you type' checked, but that's as far as I've gone.

    > Does the procedure I outlined in OP work for you in Panther to
    > spell check as in (say) Mail?

    Probably not. I used Mail for such a short time that I never checked
    spelling options. If you're asking whether MT-NW suggests words, I don't
    know that it does. I use Eudora for mail which does suggest words.

    > Perhaps I better subscribe to this news:comp.sys.mac.apps of
    > yours and ask there?

    Some real MT-NW powerusers hang out there.

    > One particularly annoying thing for me is not knowing
    > how to get new posts on this newsreader without quitting MT and
    > starting again.

    Apple-y will update posts when the groups list is in the foreground.

    > And I notice the search function in the help file
    > (website) invariably goes to page not found... Methinks Tiger and
    > MT are not altogether well married...

    The online manual works fine in Panther. It simply directs a browser to
    <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/>. I sympathize with you though. As I
    can't imagine using anything other than MT-NW, for those used to another
    interface, it is probably puzzling at the very least. However, the help
    menu covers a lot of ground and is well written.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 9, 2006
  7. dorayme

    Jose Guest

    > Um, lets see, what do I do. Usually I hack around with different
    > spelling on the red underlined word till it goes away ;-)

    Did you try a right click? Some programs provide a list of alternatives
    on a right click (or trick click)

    Jose

    Jose, Jan 9, 2006
  8. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > I had thought there would be a spell
    > > check where you can accept the suggestion or tell the checker to
    > > learn the word.....

    > > Perhaps I better subscribe to this news:comp.sys.mac.apps of
    > > yours and ask there?

    > Some real MT-NW powerusers hang out there.

    In that case I better go there and see if I can get answers
    without causing too much trouble. :)

    > > One particularly annoying thing for me is not knowing
    > > how to get new posts on this newsreader without quitting MT and
    > > starting again.

    > Apple-y will update posts when the groups list is in the foreground.

    Thanks for this, yes. Well done.

    > > And I notice the search function in the help file
    > > (website) invariably goes to page not found... Methinks Tiger and
    > > MT are not altogether well married...

    > The online manual works fine in Panther. It simply directs a browser to
    > <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/>.

    Yes, but have you had any luck at all with the search function in
    it? Top right button, try anything at all like the word
    filtering... I get "page not found". No need to worry, I can ask
    at your suggested MT NG...

    (BTW I notice my signature does not appear here, but if I type
    it, it then appears on the NG as doubled up. I am very concerned
    about this sig business as it seems very important to Mr. Little
    and possibly Luigi.)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 10, 2006
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Jose <>
    >
    >> Um, lets see, what do I do. Usually I hack around with different
    >> spelling on the red underlined word till it goes away ;-)

    > Did you try a right click? Some programs provide a list of alternatives
    > on a right click (or trick click)

    Just now (ie. control click with one button Mac mouse). Nothing relevant to
    spelling on the context menu that comes up. I can scramble the word, I can
    wrap, unwrap, rewrap, it and more...

    It is not a very big problem for me because of my great erudition and
    incredible tendency not to make mistakes. But I am now determined to get a
    spell check into MT or bust. Besides, lesser mortals might use my computer
    from time to time...

    (I once did misspell a word and had to write lines... This just an English
    school thing? You know what lines are? No, they are not caning marks on the
    hand (or lower anatomy, Boji). They are the repeated handwriting of the like
    of "I must not spell 'irrelevant' 'irrelevent')

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 10, 2006
  10. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > (BTW I notice my signature does not appear here, but if I type
    > it, it then appears on the NG as doubled up.

    Looks fine here - just appears once.

    > I am very concerned
    > about this sig business as it seems very important to Mr. Little
    > and possibly Luigi.)

    You probably missed where Barbara managed to get into Luigi's killfile
    the other day? If you're still worried about his killfile, you could
    always ask her.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Jan 10, 2006
  11. "Mark Parnell" <> skrev i meddelandet news:43c31807$0$12592$...
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > (BTW I notice my signature does not appear here, but if I type
    > > it, it then appears on the NG as doubled up.

    > Looks fine here - just appears once.
    >
    > > I am very concerned
    > > about this sig business as it seems very important to Mr. Little
    > > and possibly Luigi.)

    dorayme is not in my killfile
    The martian got only a warning, I think.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 10, 2006
  12. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > dorayme is not in my killfile

    Did I say she was?

    Mark Parnell, Jan 10, 2006
  13. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <43c31807$0$12592$>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > (BTW I notice my signature does not appear here, but if I type
    > > it, it then appears on the NG as doubled up.

    > Looks fine here - just appears once.
    >
    > > I am very concerned
    > > about this sig business as it seems very important to Mr. Little
    > > and possibly Luigi.)

    > You probably missed where Barbara managed to get into Luigi's killfile
    > the other day? If you're still worried about his killfile, you could
    > always ask her.

    Have I missed some juicy gossip? I am still not quite abreast
    with this new reader...

    BTW I made a mistake about the safricans. How was I to know they
    would be so sporting (cough, cough) as to give Australia about
    3.7 per over to win (how doable is that?) or that it would not
    rain again or that Ponting would get another century. I mean,
    mate, who the hell does he think he is? Bradman?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 10, 2006
  14. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <E7Fwf.153747$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > dorayme is not in my killfile
    > The martian got only a warning, I think.

    Can I have a little peek in there at least? If it is true that
    BdeZ is there, here is my chance to tell her some stuff and she
    _has- to listen right? I mean, she is not going to pull out a
    killfile within a killfile? No, let's get real. She will be at my
    mercy, I will summarise and then expand on every single crazy
    story I know... and she will _have- to hear me out.

    What do I have to do to get in there Luigi? Shall I attack the
    concept of freedom and say that it is not so important really? Or
    the concept of commercial secrecy?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 10, 2006
  15. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > dorayme is not in my killfile

    > Did I say she was?

    Mark, mark! You should know by now that this remark of yours is
    quite irrelevant.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 10, 2006
  16. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Have I missed some juicy gossip?

    Thought you might have missed it:
    http://tinyurl.com/7lvuq

    > BTW I made a mistake about the safricans. How was I to know they
    > would be so sporting (cough, cough) as to give Australia about
    > 3.7 per over to win (how doable is that?) or that it would not
    > rain again or that Ponting would get another century. I mean,
    > mate, who the hell does he think he is? Bradman?

    Was good, wasn't it? Highest winning 4th-innings total ever at the SCG
    IIRC.

    Did you see the Twenty20 match last night? Now *that* was entertaining.
    :)

    Mark Parnell, Jan 10, 2006
  17. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet news:...
    > In article <E7Fwf.153747$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > dorayme is not in my killfile
    > > The martian got only a warning, I think.

    > Can I have a little peek in there at least? If it is true that
    > BdeZ is there, here is my chance to tell her some stuff and she
    > _has- to listen right? I mean, she is not going to pull out a
    > killfile within a killfile? No, let's get real. She will be at my
    > mercy, I will summarise and then expand on every single crazy
    > story I know... and she will _have- to hear me out.
    >
    > What do I have to do to get in there Luigi? Shall I attack the
    > concept of freedom and say that it is not so important really? Or
    > the concept of commercial secrecy?

    3 people are at the moment in the killfile.
    You were there only a very short while today as a result of a mistake.
    That does not mean that I read all the messages from those who are not in the killfile, though!

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 10, 2006
  18. dorayme wrote:
    <snip>
    > (BTW I notice my signature does not appear here, but if I type
    > it, it then appears on the NG as doubled up. I am very concerned
    > about this sig business as it seems very important to Mr. Little
    > and possibly Luigi.)

    Naw, not really just ragging on Luigi!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 10, 2006
  19. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <43c335b2$0$12583$>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Thought you might have missed it:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7lvuq

    I wish I had in some ways... I think that Jonathan fellow has
    hurt my feelings....

    > > BTW I made a mistake about the safricans. How was I to know they
    > > would be so sporting (cough, cough) as to give Australia about
    > > 3.7 per over to win (how doable is that?) or that it would not
    > > rain again or that Ponting would get another century. I mean,
    > > mate, who the hell does he think he is? Bradman?

    > Was good, wasn't it? Highest winning 4th-innings total ever at the SCG
    > IIRC.

    It was brilliant

    > Did you see the Twenty20 match last night? Now *that* was entertaining.
    > :)

    No, I didn't. (probably for the same fuddy duddy reason that I
    only play chess and not any other of the variations... When I
    like something I just stick to it... was there not an old Mortein
    ad along these lines? "when you are on to a good thing, stick to
    it!" dum de dum de dum...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 10, 2006
  20. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <F3Hwf.153751$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > In article <E7Fwf.153747$>,
    > > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > dorayme is not in my killfile
    > > > The martian got only a warning, I think.

    > > Can I have a little peek in there at least? If it is true that
    > > BdeZ is there, here is my chance to tell her some stuff and she
    > > has- to listen right? I mean, she is not going to pull out a
    > > killfile within a killfile? No, let's get real. She will be at my
    > > mercy, I will summarise and then expand on every single crazy
    > > story I know... and she will have- to hear me out.
    > >
    > > What do I have to do to get in there Luigi? Shall I attack the
    > > concept of freedom and say that it is not so important really? Or
    > > the concept of commercial secrecy?

    > 3 people are at the moment in the killfile.
    > You were there only a very short while today as a result of a mistake.
    > That does not mean that I read all the messages from those who are not in the
    > killfile, though!

    So that explains the funny dizzy feeling I got just now? I
    thought someone else had insulted me and that was the cause.

    Because you so quickly rescued me, I am off to Germany to search
    high and low for the no-good low-down rats that beat you up. I
    have looked once again at the techniques employed by Marshal
    Samuel Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones) in The Fugitive to motivate and
    inspire me. I will chase them down every alley, every tunnel,
    every sewer till I corner them and ... "deal with them" (I better
    not say in a public forum anything further...)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 10, 2006