MT-NewsWatcher

Leonard Blaisdell

Blinky the Shark said:
Actually, Pan - which I'm using - doesn't display them, either, but I've
heard it's in the works. My two preferred clients (Xnews and slrn) do. I
have a couple new Linux installations here (this one (see headers) and
SuSE, and I just haven't got around to setting up slrn yet. With all the
customization I did to slrn/vim (macros for each, some of which I wrote,
and the large universe of settings), it'll take me a while to get it where
I like it, and Pan's a quick setup because it isn't even remotely as
tweakable.

And to bring this back to the original subject, so does MT-NewsWatcher
;-)

leo

Blinky the Shark

Jose said:
When you use multple news clients, how do you (or they) keep track of what
you've read in the other client?

Some can be pointed to the same newsrc file, which is the conventional
place where the info on what's been read resides. The ones I use most,
for instance. This does not mean I *do* that, however, espeically since
I've lately been using:

1. Pan here on my primary Linux box, thurston.

2. Pan/Linux and Xnews/Windows on my secondary box, ginger, which is a
dual boot with W2K and SuSE.

3. Xnews on theskipper, an old laptop with Win98SE.

I also have Knode set up on thurston, but that's just for familiarlty and
play and the ability to be able to occasionally give a Knode user a hand
with something. I've also done a bit of Usenetting this winter with
Opera's news client and with Thunderbird, on theskipper.

But no, I don't sync any of these. And I doubt that Opera's M2 and
Thunderbird can even do that, being just entry-level bolt-on clients for
browsers.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:
against.

We always learn.
But I am under the impression that dorayme, you and I have different =
opinions on this subject.

Agreed. If somebody attacks me, I like nothing so much as to kick his
ass and wipe the shit off my shoe later. Others can be more squeamish.
Self-defence may not be excess of self defence
http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/lastcb/guilt.htm

I hate to say it, but that page is childish and inept although probably
leaning in the more-or-less proper direction. Amateur psychology yields
amateurish results at best.

As for excess violence in the name of self-defense, just ask yourself
who started it in the first place.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:
What are you talking about?

If someone attacks me, I feel no qualms about defending myself at least
as viciously. I did not request the conflict.

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
<[email protected]> spouted in alt.html:

Look forward to it! I was going to say that I wonder how Luigi will
react, but of course Lookout Express doesn't support X-Face, so he won't
see it.

Since I will be on the French and German border soon, tracking
down the hoodlums that beat Luigi up, I will doubtless get into
the European papers (you know... "Aussie detective hunts down
Fascist attackers of innocent Italian one-man business owner")

Don't know whether Mail or MT has options to put these special
headers in. MT probably does. MT is made by folk who are very
clever, is packed with features and lacks simple common sense. I
am almost continually irritated by this software, OE was better
actually in intuitive display and control. But I am sure giving
it a go.. If I continue to be irritated I will look into
alternatives, some kindly sent to me off list by users of this
NG...

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:

If someone attacks me, I feel no qualms about defending myself at least
as viciously. I did not request the conflict.

The point is that as far as I know it is not legal to defend oneself more that it is needed under the given circumstances.
Besides it is useless.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/europa/italien/italien-valle-daosta/boende-i-valle-daosta.php

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:
The point is that as far as I know it is not legal to defend oneself =
more that it is needed under the given circumstances.
Besides it is useless.

Legal and useless...

Well, at the risk of generalizing, Americans don't think that way. If
you kick me, I'm going to do my best to kick you back harder. And if
you persist, I'll kick you right in the nuts until you stop. Part of
why The Holocaust occurred was because nobody, not the Jews or anybody
else, could believe the depths of behavior to which human beings, under
Nazism, might sink.

My retribution may not be "legal", but, "useless" or otherwise, it will
hurt you and hurt you bad. I'd rather die defending my rights and
integrity than live in the shame of avoiding doing so for expediency's-
sake.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
I hate to say it, but that page is childish and inept

You can say that again. It lists as a reason to exclude guilt:
"Lack of guilt"[/QUOTE]

He he, yeah, I think I remember that.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:

Legal and useless...

Well, at the risk of generalizing, Americans don't think that way. If
you kick me, I'm going to do my best to kick you back harder. And if
you persist, I'll kick you right in the nuts until you stop. Part of
why The Holocaust occurred was because nobody, not the Jews or anybody
else, could believe the depths of behavior to which human beings, under
Nazism, might sink.

My retribution may not be "legal", but, "useless" or otherwise, it will
hurt you and hurt you bad. I'd rather die defending my rights and
integrity than live in the shame of avoiding doing so for expediency's-
sake.

I know that we have different ideas on many subjects and I am aware of the fact that we Europeans think in a different way than Americans.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/benvenuti.php

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I know that we have different ideas on many subjects and I am aware of the
fact that we Europeans think in a different way than Americans.

The Serbs, for example, thought (not at all so long ago) so
nicely about things Bosnian. So peacefully and non violently. It
was a beautiful thing to behold. No pesky conscience bothered
them. Unlike the Americans who never see shrinks or have any self
doubts - Woody Allen being the sole exception.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
The Serbs, for example, thought (not at all so long ago) so
nicely about things Bosnian. So peacefully and non violently. It
was a beautiful thing to behold. No pesky conscience bothered
them. Unlike the Americans who never see shrinks or have any self
doubts - Woody Allen being the sole exception.

Woody Allen is a nice exception.
He does not seem to take anything for granted (in my opinion)