mud(telnet) connection using Java

Kevin Hsu

Dear All,

I am quite new here, and can anyone enlighten me on how
to develop a Java applications which can be used to play on-line
MUD game? Where can I start ?

MUD is the TEXT on-line game, and generally, we can use :
telnet port_number, and it's kind of client/server architecture,
receive from server, send from my client.

By the way, if are you familiar with MUD, there is a client
program in Windows platform, which is my target , and wish
to write it in Java.

Thanks.
Regards,
Kevin

Troy Kinsella

Kevin said:
Dear All,

I am quite new here, and can anyone enlighten me on how
to develop a Java applications which can be used to play on-line
MUD game? Where can I start ?

umm... learn java.
MUD is the TEXT on-line game, and generally, we can use :
telnet port_number, and it's kind of client/server architecture,
receive from server, send from my client.

By the way, if are you familiar with MUD, there is a client
program in Windows platform, which is my target , and wish
to write it in Java.

Thanks.
Regards,
Kevin

google java mud. that took me 4 seconds.

Mladen Adamovic

got to : java.sun.com
download J2SE 1.4.2 (or newer), documentation and tutorials.
Download book Thinking in Java, by Brucke Eckels.

After introductory reading read everithing about sockets.

P.S. You shouldn't post newbie question here, rather comp.lang.java.help

steve

Dear All,

I am quite new here, and can anyone enlighten me on how
to develop a Java applications which can be used to play on-line
MUD game? Where can I start ?

MUD is the TEXT on-line game, and generally, we can use :
telnet port_number, and it's kind of client/server architecture,
receive from server, send from my client.

By the way, if are you familiar with MUD, there is a client
program in Windows platform, which is my target , and wish
to write it in Java.

Thanks.
Regards,
Kevin

there is a complete mud client & server in :
oreilly "java examples in a nutshell", you don't even have to type it in.

use that as a basis, the advantage is that you can learn java at hte same
time, at the source is heavily documented.