mulitple cpu machines

Roedy Green

I was wondering if there is any hope of extracting the two cpu serial
numbers on a multiple CPU and/or multiple core machine. Failing that,
is there a way to ensure you run a piece of code on a selected CPU so
that you will get a consistent serial number?

I have the code to extract the cpu serial number on a single CPU
machine. I presume a dual core machine shares the same serial number.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
I was wondering if there is any hope of extracting the two cpu serial
numbers on a multiple CPU and/or multiple core machine. Failing that,
is there a way to ensure you run a piece of code on a selected CPU so
that you will get a consistent serial number?

I have the code to extract the cpu serial number on a single CPU
machine. I presume a dual core machine shares the same serial number.

I don't think there is much solution in Java for this.

You will info about:
- what info the various CPU's (x86, x86-64, PPC, SPARX etc.) expose
- how that info can be retrieved via the OS (Win, Linux, MacOS X,
Solaris etc.)
- what options exist to limit a process to a subset of available
CPU resources in the OS

It will be system specific and coded in C and JNI !

Arne