Multi Application GUI Framework - Eclipse RCP?

Discussion in 'Java' started by tkimzey@yahoo.com, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I'm working on something where multiple independent applications will
    need to present a unified GUI. The applications themselves are not
    necessarily going to be interoperating (nor am I looking for a
    framework to support communication between applications). However the
    GUIs these apps need to be on the same screen and integrated. There is
    also a desire for the GUIs to be decoupled from the backing
    application.

    I am looking for a framework to support something like this and
    currently delving into Eclipse RCP. I'm only about 30 minutes into
    reading but I have only found hints that it may be offering some of the
    functionality I'm looking for and decided to take a stab in the
    newsgroups here to see if I might get some suggestions.

    Thanks,

    Tom
    , Feb 25, 2006

  2. Chris Uppal Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm working on something where multiple independent applications will
    > need to present a unified GUI. The applications themselves are not
    > necessarily going to be interoperating (nor am I looking for a
    > framework to support communication between applications). However the
    > GUIs these apps need to be on the same screen and integrated. There is
    > also a desire for the GUIs to be decoupled from the backing
    > application.

    By "different applications" do you mean that they will be different processes ?

    If not, then all you need is to run all the applications' code in the same JVM
    (one OS process) and for them to use a common library for their GUI. I don't
    see why the Eclipse stuff shouldn't be perfectly fine for that. The desire for
    GUI decoupling is just normal separation between domain logic and the
    presentation layer.

    If the apps are going to be different processes then you have a bigger problem.
    There isn't (as far as I know) any way to make different processes share the
    same GUI (using Eclipse or anything else). So you'll have to have a /single/
    process that runs the (shared) GUI, and which communicates with all the
    applications (over TCP, say) as independent back-ends. That would be an
    interesting architecure, but quite challenging to design.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Feb 26, 2006

  3. David Segall Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm working on something where multiple independent applications will
    >need to present a unified GUI.

    NetBeans also provides an application platform
    <http://www.netbeans.org/products/platform/index.html>. Please look at
    both and post your conclusions here :)
    David Segall, Feb 26, 2006

    Hello,

    Thanks for the reply -- it's unfortunate it took me so long to realize
    I had a response.

    Yes, I do mean different processes sharing the same GUI (and yes, I
    know a communcations framework is necessary to support that).

    Ignoring the "backend" processes for a moment, I am just trying to
    discover just how helpful Eclipse RCP and it's plugin style
    architecture would be in pulling relatively independently developed
    GUIs together. I am looking for a framework/support for integrating the
    GUI frontends to these applications together.

    A commercial product that does something very close to what I am
    talking about can be seen at www.tilcon.com -- multiple backend
    applications talk to the same GUI engine via proxy code. More pertinant
    to what I am talking about, one person can develop a GUI and save it
    as a "TWD". That TWD can then be imported and relatively painlessly
    integrated into a larger GUI framework.

    So you could go off an create your calculator GUI and write the backend
    application that performs the logic and uses the proxy to communicate
    with the GUI you created. I on the other hand go write a dictionary
    program and create a dictionary program and create my own little GUI
    frontend. With the tilcon software, I could pull in your "TWD"
    describing your calc GUI, the TWD describing my dictionary GUI, put
    them side by side in a top level window (or whatever more complex) and
    viola.

    The Tilcon software is pretty close to what I am looking for except 1)
    Developer seats are expensive 2) Every target CPU needs a tilcon GUI
    engine, which also costs 3) While quite powerful, you are stuick with
    their widgets - if I want to create a little "Calender" widget, no
    dice.

    Really the notion of backend applications handling most of the logic
    via whatever communication path can be ignored. Can you develop an
    Eclipse RCP plugin with a GUI that I can *relatively easily* integrate
    into a larger GUI framework? The easy part is what I am looking for
    help with -- I'm hoping the plug-in style development of Eclipse RCP
    might help facilitate something roughly similar. However it's difficult
    finding concrete info, and I'm less than a week into the Eclipse RCP
    book.

    Thanks,

    Tom
    , Mar 9, 2006