Multi-dimensional arrays

Graham Smith

Hi,

I have just started programming with Ruby and have run into the following
problem.

I'm trying to work with 3 dimensional arrays and have run into a problem
dimensioning the array.

a = [[[]]]
a[0][0] = [ 0,1,2,3]
a[0][1] = [ "zero", "one","two",three"]

The above assignments work without a problem, but the following assignment
fails.

a[1][0] = [ 4, 5, 6, 7]
NoMethodError: undefined method `[]=' for nil:NilClass

How do you dimension the number of elements in a multi-dimensional array when
the final number of elements in the array is not known.

Logan Capaldo

Hi,

I have just started programming with Ruby and have run into the
following
problem.

I'm trying to work with 3 dimensional arrays and have run into a
problem
dimensioning the array.

a = [[[]]]
a[0][0] = [ 0,1,2,3]
a[0][1] = [ "zero", "one","two",three"]

The above assignments work without a problem, but the following
assignment
fails.

a[1][0] = [ 4, 5, 6, 7]
NoMethodError: undefined method `[]=' for nil:NilClass

How do you dimension the number of elements in a multi-dimensional
array when
the final number of elements in the array is not known.

class Array
def default(&proc)
@default = proc
self