Multi-file upload with Spring and/or JSF?

sygsix

Hello all.

I am building a web in which I'd like to be able to upload various
types of files -- PDF, MP3, etc. I would like the added functionality
of being able to upload an entire cd without having to upload all the
tracks. So if I select a directory with 10 songs it will upload all 10
songs, all at once. Much better than having 10 "Browse" buttons ...

I haven't quite worked out the server-side aspect yet -- saving in one
table in the database the disc name in another all its tracks, etc. --
but I was wondering if anyone knew of a user interface that is capable
of such a thing. Yahoo Photos, for example, allows you to select and
upload a bunch of photos at once. I would like to do something like
that.

I will (hopefully) be using Spring but am open to anything.

Many thanks in advance,
syg

Andrea Desole

I haven't quite worked out the server-side aspect yet -- saving in one
table in the database the disc name in another all its tracks, etc. --
but I was wondering if anyone knew of a user interface that is capable
of such a thing. Yahoo Photos, for example, allows you to select and
upload a bunch of photos at once. I would like to do something like
that.

I don't think multiple file upload is generally possible. If Yahoo is
doing it it's probably using JavaScript. It's not very likely to find a
framework that does it.
What I can tell you, anyway, is that JSF doesn't even have upload for a
single file (at least the reference implementation 1.1; myfaces should
have something).
I don't know about Spring.

Andrew Thompson

I am building a web in which I'd like to be able to upload various
types of files -- PDF, MP3, etc. I would like the added functionality
of being able to upload an entire cd without having to upload all the
tracks.

Your site must be huge, and your users must have very fat
cable connections!
..but I was wondering if anyone knew of a user interface that is capable
of such a thing.

You could do that with a signed applet.
..Yahoo Photos, for example, ..

As a web developer, you should learn how to pick apart other
web pages. Are you using IE? Alt V C shows you the raw source
of the web page, from there you can determine what technology
they are using by the elements such as <applet>/<object>.

So, how does Yahoo Photos do it?

sygsix

Hello again.

Yahoo! uses a plug-in. I didn't have the energy to go snooping around
what VBScript or Javascript it uses, but I do know you have to install
en executable, not quite sure how it works but either way, not the way
I wanna go.

I'd like to avoid signed applets and all that as well. I saw something
about WebWork's File Interceptor but still haven't investigated. I was
just hoping some JSF expert was going to tell me "oh yea, check out
Apache's myFaces Sandbox, I saw something like that ..." but for the
moment no go.

Thanks for your help.
syg

Andrew Thompson

I'd like to avoid signed applets and all that as well.

You are going to need something with extended permissions,
or a very 'security lax' browser to avoid 'all that'.
.. I saw something
about WebWork's File Interceptor but still haven't investigated. I was
just hoping some JSF expert was going to tell me "oh yea, check out
Apache's myFaces Sandbox, I saw something like that ..." but for the
moment no go.

Forever no. HTTP simply does not work the way you want it to.
Your best X-platform bet for this is a signed applet.

sygsix

Bummer. That's what I thought. Mind you, having extended permissions
isn't a problem really. The Admin panel I have to create is for use by
one user (the Admin!) and I am sure he wouldn't mind downloading *once*
some kind of plug-in. The problem is creating it. I wonder if Yahoo!
will give me their code ...

Thanks for your help!

syg