    Thank you a lot,
    Best regards,
    Kelvin
    Kelvin, Mar 9, 2005

  2. "Kelvin" <> wrote:

    > 1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and
    > Japanese) in one html page?

    Yes, but not advisable, except for short texts (essentially, a link to
    an English version on a Japanese page and vice versa, using words in
    that other language in the link text) or special pages such as
    a dictionary or a page that compares e.g. some English text and its
    Japanese translation.

    Technically, you would just need to use a character encoding that
    supports both (or all) languages used, or use special techniques such
    as character references.

    > 2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according
    > to browser setting?

    Yes, but millions of browsers are wrongly configured in this respect,
    so you would still need explicit links as backup. More info:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 9, 2005

  3. On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:31:09 +0800, Kelvin wrote:

    > I think these may be difficult but...
    > 1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and Japanese) in
    > one html page?

    There are a number of ways of doing it. Two colums for two languages is
    one way. Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

    > 2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according to
    > browser setting?

    Yes, but I don't know what's involved.

    > Thank you a lot,
    > Best regards,
    > Kelvin

    Carolyn
    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Carolyn Marenger wrote:

    > Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

    I smell a discussion about to erupt...

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally driving away from Mt. St. Helens.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2005
  5. OT: Re: Multi-language in one page?

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:52:37 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Carolyn Marenger wrote:
    >
    >> Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

    > I smell a discussion about to erupt...

    I semll the curry chicken soup that is on the stove and the rice pilaf
    that we are having for lunch.

    Carolyn
    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 9, 2005
  6. in alt.html, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Carolyn Marenger wrote:
    >
    > > Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

    > I smell a discussion about to erupt...

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

    Utrecht, NL.
    Lauri Raittila, Mar 9, 2005
  7. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:40:08 +0100, Lauri Raittila wrote:

    > in alt.html, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Carolyn Marenger wrote:
    >>
    >> > Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

    >> I smell a discussion about to erupt...

    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

    Thank you for the link. It is certainly worth considering the next time I
    do a multi-lingual page. Unfortunately, the page points out the problems,
    but doesn't give any solutions.

    Carolyn
    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 10, 2005
  8. Kelvin

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Carolyn Marenger <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:40:08 +0100, Lauri Raittila wrote:
    >
    >> in alt.html, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> I smell a discussion about to erupt...

    >> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

    >Thank you for the link. It is certainly worth considering the next time I
    >do a multi-lingual page. Unfortunately, the page points out the problems,
    >but doesn't give any solutions.

    "There is a perfect symbol for any language which you can use on the
    Web: the name of the language in the language itself"

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Mar 10, 2005
  9. Kelvin

    Dave Patton Guest

    Dave Patton, Mar 10, 2005
  10. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:42:42 +0000, Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Carolyn Marenger <> wrote:

    >>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

    >>Thank you for the link. It is certainly worth considering the next time I
    >>do a multi-lingual page. Unfortunately, the page points out the problems,
    >>but doesn't give any solutions.

    > "There is a perfect symbol for any language which you can use on the
    > Web: the name of the language in the language itself"

    That works very well for a small number of languages, but some sites, HP.com as an example, are available in dozens, if not more, languages.
    The best long term solution is getting the browsers and servers to
    communicate language preferences and select the appropriate language
    version of each page. Any idea where I can find out more about what is
    being done to that end, and how to implement it on my own sites?

    It is strictly a personal site, but I am working on one in English which
    will be translated to French, German, Dutch, Portugeuse, Czech, Slovak,
    and maybe Spanish. Excluding the language someone is reading, that would
    mean at least seven links to the equivalent language pages.

    Thanks, Carolyn
    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 10, 2005
  11. Carolyn Marenger <> wrote:

    >> "There is a perfect symbol for any language which you can use on
    >> the Web: the name of the language in the language itself"

    > That works very well for a small number of languages, but some
    > sites, HP.com as an example, are available in dozens, if not more,
    > languages.

    The name of the language still works, but you could organize things so
    that each language name is preceded by the language's two- or three-
    letter code and the entries are in alphabetic order by that code.

    The http://www.hp.com is a descriptive example of how things should
    _not_ be done. When you view it with JavaScript disabled, it
    idiotically babbles "Current date is displayed here by JavaScript code"
    and contains a select menu that does nothing. It mixes country choice
    with language choice, which opens new problems.

    Concentrating on the language selection alone, you _might_ consider
    using a select menu for the language links to save space, but then you
    should at least have a server-side backup for the actual selection.
    Besides, the European Union site, for example, seems to deal with the
    language choice issue mostly with links, despite the increased amount
    of languages. They often have two-letter character codes as links, and
    this might be a tolerable compromise. After all, it is not unreasonable
    to expect that a person learns the two-letter code of the language he
    knows best, such as "en" for English.

    > The best long term solution is getting the browsers and
    > servers to communicate language preferences and select the
    > appropriate language version of each page.

    The real problem here is to make _users_ involved and educated. This is
    something that Web authors cannot do; the technical side is manageable.
    I think I already mentioned this material of mine:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/

    > It is strictly a personal site, but I am working on one in English
    > which will be translated to French, German, Dutch, Portugeuse,
    > Czech, Slovak, and maybe Spanish. Excluding the language someone
    > is reading, that would mean at least seven links to the equivalent
    > language pages.

    That's surely manageable if you can produce the actual content in that
    many languages.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 10, 2005
  12. Kelvin

    Dan Guest

    Carolyn Marenger wrote:
    > The best long term solution is getting the browsers and servers to
    > communicate language preferences and select the appropriate language
    > version of each page. Any idea where I can find out more about what

    is
    > being done to that end, and how to implement it on my own sites?

    I have some notes on this in my site:
    http://webtips.dan.info/language.html

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Mar 10, 2005
  13. Kelvin

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> wrote:

    >The http://www.hp.com is a descriptive example of how things should _not_ be done.

    Well that's the answer, now what was the question ?

    You think that's bad ? You should try _working_ there, supposedly
    pushing forward the SemWeb boundaries while you have a site that looks
    like _that_ !
    Andy Dingley, Mar 11, 2005