Multi-language in one page?

Kelvin

I think these may be difficult but...
1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and Japanese) in
one html page?
2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according to
browser setting?

Thank you a lot,
Best regards,
Kelvin

Jukka K. Korpela

Kelvin said:
1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and
Japanese) in one html page?

Yes, but not advisable, except for short texts (essentially, a link to
an English version on a Japanese page and vice versa, using words in
that other language in the link text) or special pages such as
a dictionary or a page that compares e.g. some English text and its
Japanese translation.

Technically, you would just need to use a character encoding that
supports both (or all) languages used, or use special techniques such
as character references.
2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according
to browser setting?

Yes, but millions of browsers are wrongly configured in this respect,
so you would still need explicit links as backup. More info:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/

Carolyn Marenger

I think these may be difficult but...
1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and Japanese) in
one html page?

There are a number of ways of doing it. Two colums for two languages is
one way. Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.
2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according to
browser setting?

Yes, but I don't know what's involved.
Thank you a lot,
Best regards,
Kelvin

Carolyn

Carolyn Marenger

I smell a discussion about to erupt...

I semll the curry chicken soup that is on the stove and the rice pilaf
that we are having for lunch.

Carolyn

Steve Pugh

Carolyn Marenger said:
Thank you for the link. It is certainly worth considering the next time I
do a multi-lingual page. Unfortunately, the page points out the problems,
but doesn't give any solutions.

"There is a perfect symbol for any language which you can use on the
Web: the name of the language in the language itself"

Carolyn Marenger

"There is a perfect symbol for any language which you can use on the
Web: the name of the language in the language itself"

That works very well for a small number of languages, but some sites, HP.com as an example, are available in dozens, if not more, languages.
The best long term solution is getting the browsers and servers to
communicate language preferences and select the appropriate language
version of each page. Any idea where I can find out more about what is
being done to that end, and how to implement it on my own sites?

It is strictly a personal site, but I am working on one in English which
will be translated to French, German, Dutch, Portugeuse, Czech, Slovak,
and maybe Spanish. Excluding the language someone is reading, that would
mean at least seven links to the equivalent language pages.

Thanks, Carolyn

Jukka K. Korpela

Carolyn Marenger said:
That works very well for a small number of languages, but some
sites, HP.com as an example, are available in dozens, if not more,
languages.

The name of the language still works, but you could organize things so
that each language name is preceded by the language's two- or three-
letter code and the entries are in alphabetic order by that code.

The http://www.hp.com is a descriptive example of how things should
_not_ be done. When you view it with JavaScript disabled, it
idiotically babbles "Current date is displayed here by JavaScript code"
and contains a select menu that does nothing. It mixes country choice
with language choice, which opens new problems.

Concentrating on the language selection alone, you _might_ consider
using a select menu for the language links to save space, but then you
should at least have a server-side backup for the actual selection.
Besides, the European Union site, for example, seems to deal with the
language choice issue mostly with links, despite the increased amount
of languages. They often have two-letter character codes as links, and
this might be a tolerable compromise. After all, it is not unreasonable
to expect that a person learns the two-letter code of the language he
knows best, such as "en" for English.
The best long term solution is getting the browsers and
servers to communicate language preferences and select the
appropriate language version of each page.

The real problem here is to make _users_ involved and educated. This is
something that Web authors cannot do; the technical side is manageable.
I think I already mentioned this material of mine:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/
It is strictly a personal site, but I am working on one in English
which will be translated to French, German, Dutch, Portugeuse,
Czech, Slovak, and maybe Spanish. Excluding the language someone
is reading, that would mean at least seven links to the equivalent
language pages.

That's surely manageable if you can produce the actual content in that
many languages.

Dan

Carolyn said:
The best long term solution is getting the browsers and servers to
communicate language preferences and select the appropriate language
version of each page. Any idea where I can find out more about what is
being done to that end, and how to implement it on my own sites?

I have some notes on this in my site:
http://webtips.dan.info/language.html

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Jukka K. Korpela"
The http://www.hp.com is a descriptive example of how things should _not_ be done.

Well that's the answer, now what was the question ?

You think that's bad ? You should try _working_ there, supposedly
pushing forward the SemWeb boundaries while you have a site that looks
like _that_ !