    is there an easy way to do it dynamically in classical asp, so I just need
    to maintain one program instead of two?
    Betty

    c676228, Jan 27, 2007

  2. c676228

    Evertjan. Guest

    Betty wrote on 27 jan 2007 in

    > I have a good question for you. Our company would like to display
    > Chinese(either simplifiled or traditional version) for all field
    > labels on any asp page, but customers can enter text/data in English
    > with any fields. My question is: do I have to make another copy of the
    > program and just change the field label from English to Chinese
    > (maintain two copies the programs) or is there an easy way to do it
    > dynamically in classical asp, so I just need to maintain one program

    ASP file, not programme, methinks you mean?

    > instead of two?

    <http://groups.google.nl/group/
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general/msg/c0cc1d2ebbe4dc9e>

    shows how I did this in 2005:

    <% =s("Bonjour","Goede morgen","Hi there")%> Betty,<br>
    <% =s("Voici mon example","Dit is mijn voorbeeld","Whatsay?")%>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jan 27, 2007

  3. "c676228" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have a good question for you. Our company would like to display
    > Chinese(either simplifiled or traditional version) for all field labels on
    > any asp page, but customers can enter text/data in English with any

    fields.
    > My question is: do I have to make another copy of the program and just

    change
    > the field label from English to Chinese (maintain two copies the programs)

    or
    > is there an easy way to do it dynamically in classical asp, so I just

    need
    > to maintain one program instead of two?
    > Betty

    First step is to convert everything to use UTF-8 encoding.

    Second step is to separate as much of the logic in your pages from the code
    generating the actual output. Move as much logic into include files.

    Third create a anothet set of the 'layout' pages (excluding the new logic
    ones) translating the content to the appropriate language.

    The problem with attempting to create a 'resource file' of label strings is
    that layout often has to change to meet the needs of additional languages
    not just the text. At times even graphics which are have obvious meanings
    in one culture aren't as effective in another.

    If you have managed to separate the layout from the logic then creating and
    maintianing a different layout set is no harder than maintaining a set of
    label resources.

    Maintaining program logic should in the main result in having to make
    changes to only one set of pages the logic holding ones.

    Anthony.

    Anthony Jones, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Hello Betty,

    As Anthony has suggested, if you do not want to use multiple copies of the
    same application, you will need to use Unicode(such as UTF-8 charset) for
    your ASP pages. Also, since ASP doesn't have built-in localization/resource
    featrue as ASP.NET, if you want to display ASP pages which will display
    text/literal dynamically based on client's culture/region, you can consider
    store those text literal in database and render those text(retrieved from
    database) at runtime.

    In addition, here are some reference discussing on developing globalized
    application(include web application) on microsoft's globaldev portal:

    #Get World-Ready
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/getWR/default.mspx

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 29, 2007
  5. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Anthony and Steven,
    Very helpful messages. I think for any new development, we should seperate
    logic from all label fields on each asp page if we want to have
    multi-language capability.
    with Response.CodePage=65001 and Reponse.Charset="utf-8" and store all
    labels of different languages in database, then like Steve points out the
    labels can be displayed dynamically based on the request.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Jan 29, 2007
  6. "c676228" <> wrote in message
    > Anthony and Steven,
    > Very helpful messages. I think for any new development, we should seperate
    > logic from all label fields on each asp page if we want to have
    > multi-language capability.
    > with Response.CodePage=65001 and Reponse.Charset="utf-8" and store all
    > labels of different languages in database, then like Steve points out the
    > labels can be displayed dynamically based on the request.

    You need then to take care when designing the layout. What is a short word
    in one language may be quite a bit longer in another.

    Anthony Jones, Jan 29, 2007
  7. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Anthony,
    You are right, maybe we need to have multiple versions of style sheet to
    apply to different version of label fields. Thank you so much for your
    instruction.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Jan 29, 2007