Multi Level Forms Authentication Help DESPERATELY NEEDED!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe Rigley, May 11, 2005.

  1. Joe Rigley

    Joe Rigley Guest

    Help Please!

    I've been tasked with converting a portion of the corporate web site that
    currently utilizes local user accounts and NTFS via Basic Authentication to
    access certain files on the web site to an ASP .NET Forms Authentication
    approach with SQL Server. I'm just getting comfortable with ASP .Net, but
    strong in Classic ASP.

    My issue lies with the multiple levels of security (or roles) required to
    manage access to sub folders on the server. All users that successfully
    authenticate via the DB will need access to a folder called Dealers. (I
    fairly certain I can handle that part.) Within the Dealers folder, there
    are two additional sub folders; Sales and Marketing. Some users will
    require access to just Sales, some to only Marketing, some to both, and some
    to neither. I am considering using a roles approach, like in AD, only the
    roles and users info would be extracted from the DB during the
    authentication process. A user could be associated to 1 or many roles like
    DlrAccess, SalesAccess, and/or MktAccess to help manage access.

    I would appreciate your help in how I can provide a single login approach
    while still managing access to the aforementioned subdirectories. There's a
    catch... I need to also managing access to non-Dot Net files, like .pdfs
    and .docs.

    I feel confident I could code this if I only had to work with .aspx pages.
    However, I'm reached an impasse as to how I can support the other file
    types. I know I can map the .pdf extension to the aspnet_isapi.dll.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't allow me to access the roles returned from the
    DB to determine if that user can access the requested file. And requiring
    the user to log in multiple times is a last resort approach.

    Can anyone help me out and offer another design to solve this dilemma???

    Please Help!

    -Rigs

    Joe Rigley, May 11, 2005

  2. Forms authentication supports this functionality.
    You can have a web.config in each folder that specifies who's allowed in.

    Here's more info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311495
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/121901-1.2.shtml

    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
    http://SteveOrr.net

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], May 11, 2005

  3. Joe Rigley

    Joe Rigley Guest

    Steve,

    Thanks very much... Those links should help me get this done. Your
    assistance is much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    -Rigs

    Joe Rigley, May 12, 2005