Multi-Line Text Box - How to Insert Spaces

Franklin

I would like to somehow configure a multi-line textbox so that when the user
presses the Tab key, 3 spaces are entered at the current location of the
cursor (within the text box), rather than causing the next control in the
page to be selected/receive focus. Ideas?

Thanks!

Luis Ruiz Pavón

Hi Franklin:

Try it to capture JavaScript events ;)

Regards
--
Colabora con el foro: Si la respuesta te es de utilidad marca la pregunta
como respondida.

William J. Familia

Franklin,

for the onkeyup event fire some JavaScript function that checks what key was
pressed (e.g. Tab, which I think is key code = 9) and then take the
appropriate action (e.g. Concat three spaces). Here is a JavaScript function
I have used to identify the key pressed:

function getKeycode(e)
{
var blnDOM = false, blnIE4 = false, blnNN4 = false;

if(document.layers) blnNN4 = true;
else if(document.all) blnIE4 = true;
else if(document.getElementById) blnDOM = true;

if(blnNN4)
{
var NN4key = e.which
return NN4key;
}
if(blnDOM)
{
var blnkey = e.which
return blnkey;
}
if(blnIE4)
{
var IE4key = event.keyCode
return IE4key;

Here is a function I created in the past that uses the getKeycode:

function formatCurrency(formField, setEmptyToZero, e)
{
//8 = Backspace
//9 = Tab (so will stay highlighted)
//16 = Reverse Tab - Shift+Tab (so will stay highlighted)
//37 = Left Arrow
//39 = Right Arrow

if(getKeycode(e)!= 8)
{
var unformattedCurrency = makeNumeric(formField.value,
setEmptyToZero);
var formattedCurrency = "";
var originalValueLength = formField.value.length;
var decimalIndex = formField.value.indexOf(".");

if(decimalIndex == 0)
{
formattedCurrency = unformattedCurrency;
}
else if(decimalIndex > 0)
{
formattedCurrency = unformattedCurrency.substr(0, decimalIndex)
+ "." + unformattedCurrency.substr(decimalIndex, 2);
}
else
{
formattedCurrency = unformattedCurrency;
}

return formattedCurrency;
}
else
{
return formField.value;

This is what the text box looks like once rendered, when calling the function:

<input type="text" name="txtTest" id="txtTest"
onkeyup="javascript:this.value=formatCurrency(this, false, event);"
onblur="javascript:this.value=formatCurrency(this, false, event);" />

I hope that helps.