Multi-page PDF reports

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ITistic, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. ITistic

    ITistic Guest

    Here's my predicament - I've got a client who I've written an
    extensive ASP.NET app for who needs the ability to print multi-page
    dynamic contracts in a format which will print properly (most likely
    PDF). The contracts are old ASP 3.0 pages now but they don't always
    print properly due to the fact they are merely web pages and now we
    need to migrate from a single page report to a multi-page report. Any
    ideas how I can accomplish this without spending a boat load? I've use
    VS 2005 for development and are aware of the Crystal Reports
    functionality built-in. Not sure if this is a good solution or not?
    The database is MySQL, not SQL Server, which I have a feeling won't
    agree well with Crystal. Maybe I'm wrong. I've also seen the Visual
    Studio .RDLC report format but it doesn't seem this supports multiple
    pages. I own Telerik Reporting as well but I can't get IT to do multi-
    page reports either. By multi-page I don't mean one detail section
    with multiple pages of data. The first page is very dynamic. The
    second page is all static (terms and conditions). Third page is
    dynamic, etc. These are contracts we need to print, not reports that
    show more than 1 record.

    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. ANY solution that you
    think would work, even if there's a way to do this with generic HTML
    somehow I am not aware of.

    Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

    ITistic, Jun 15, 2007

  2. ITistic

    ko Guest

    On Jun 14, 6:07 pm, ITistic <> wrote:
    > Here's my predicament - I've got a client who I've written an
    > extensive ASP.NET app for who needs the ability to print multi-page
    > dynamic contracts in a format which will print properly (most likely
    > PDF). The contracts are old ASP 3.0 pages now but they don't always
    > print properly due to the fact they are merely web pages and now we
    > need to migrate from a single page report to a multi-page report. Any
    > ideas how I can accomplish this without spending a boat load? I've use
    > VS 2005 for development and are aware of the Crystal Reports
    > functionality built-in. Not sure if this is a good solution or not?
    > The database is MySQL, not SQL Server, which I have a feeling won't
    > agree well with Crystal. Maybe I'm wrong. I've also seen the Visual
    > Studio .RDLC report format but it doesn't seem this supports multiple
    > pages. I own Telerik Reporting as well but I can't get IT to do multi-
    > page reports either. By multi-page I don't mean one detail section
    > with multiple pages of data. The first page is very dynamic. The
    > second page is all static (terms and conditions). Third page is
    > dynamic, etc. These are contracts we need to print, not reports that
    > show more than 1 record.
    >
    > Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. ANY solution that you
    > think would work, even if there's a way to do this with generic HTML
    > somehow I am not aware of.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

    iText is a free PDF library:

    http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

    Some examples of the possibilities here:

    http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/

    The authors also have ported it to C#:

    http://itextsharp.sourceforge.net/

    HTH - keith