Multi site query

Steven Burn

Forgive the subject but I wasn't sure what to call this. Basically I am
looking at the possibility of having a page on my main server, that will go
out to my other site's and return whether they are online or offline.

Unfortunately I can't use controls or crons (what my host calls them) to do
this as they aren't allowed, and additionally, I can't use the servers
scheduling services to do it as it isn't allowed. So basically, is it
possible to do the following;

1. Query multiple servers and return they're online/offline status
2. If online, make sure they aren't returning 404 or other error messages
3. Perform the query every 30 or so mins

I'm looking at doing the above in ASP/VBScript, but _without_ having to have
the page open in the browser all the time (so the meta refresh tags are out
of the question unfortunately).

I could do this quite easily in VB, but would like to avoid that if possible
as my PC isn't always online and my host doesn't allow custom app's to run
on the server (if that makes sense?)

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Mark Schupp

You can do the queries using MSXML (see
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2173). What you won't be able to do is to
have it run automatically every 30 minutes without the browser requesting
it.

Do you have a system available that is under your control? If so, do the
queries from that system using the scheduler and post the data to the server
where you want it stored.

Steven Burn

Mark,
Cheers for the info.

Unfortunately I don't have a system thats under my control (except this one,
and my other one's that aren't connected to the net and are completely
seperate from the server's (I use third party servers for my hosting)).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group