Multi site query

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Steven Burn, May 10, 2004.

  1. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Forgive the subject but I wasn't sure what to call this. Basically I am
    looking at the possibility of having a page on my main server, that will go
    out to my other site's and return whether they are online or offline.

    Unfortunately I can't use controls or crons (what my host calls them) to do
    this as they aren't allowed, and additionally, I can't use the servers
    scheduling services to do it as it isn't allowed. So basically, is it
    possible to do the following;

    1. Query multiple servers and return they're online/offline status
    2. If online, make sure they aren't returning 404 or other error messages
    3. Perform the query every 30 or so mins

    I'm looking at doing the above in ASP/VBScript, but _without_ having to have
    the page open in the browser all the time (so the meta refresh tags are out
    of the question unfortunately).

    I could do this quite easily in VB, but would like to avoid that if possible
    as my PC isn't always online and my host doesn't allow custom app's to run
    on the server (if that makes sense?)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 10, 2004

  2. Steven Burn

    Mark Schupp Guest

    You can do the queries using MSXML (see
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2173). What you won't be able to do is to
    have it run automatically every 30 minutes without the browser requesting
    it.

    Do you have a system available that is under your control? If so, do the
    queries from that system using the scheduler and post the data to the server
    where you want it stored.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, May 11, 2004

  3. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Mark,
    Cheers for the info.

    Unfortunately I don't have a system thats under my control (except this one,
    and my other one's that aren't connected to the net and are completely
    seperate from the server's (I use third party servers for my hosting)).

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group