multi-thread python interpreaters and c++ program

myopc

hi, all
I am ruuning a c++ program (boost python) , which create many python
interpreaters and each run a python script with use multi-thread
(threading).
when the c++ main program exit, I want to shut down python interpreaters,
but it crashed. I have googled a lot but cant get any clue.
here is my code, your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

c++ :
/**** test multi interpreaters ***/
#include <Python.h>
#include <boost/python.hpp>
#include <boost/bind.hpp>
#include <string>
#include <windows.h>

using namespace boost::python;

static const char* strs[3]={
"m1","m2","m3"
};
static void xxx(const char* abc){
fprintf(stderr, "this is xxx %s\n", abc);
}

PyThreadState* testPy(int i){
char buf[128];
PyThreadState* ts = Py_NewInterpreter();

object main_namespace = import("__main__").attr("__dict__");
main_namespace["xxx"]= xxx;
main_namespace["aaa"]= i+1;
main_namespace["strs"]= strs;

sprintf(buf, "execfile('pyinter/%d.py')",i+1);
if(!PyRun_SimpleString(buf)){
return ts;
}else return 0;
}

int main(int argc, char** argv){
PyThreadState *ts[3];
Py_InitializeEx(0);
PyEval_InitThreads();
for(int i=0 ; i< 3; i++){
ts= testPy(i);
if(! ts ){
printf("run %d error\n",i);
} else {
printf("run %d ok\n",i);

PyEval_ReleaseLock(); /// release the lock, interpreaters run
Sleep(3500);
for(int i=0; i< 3; i++){
if(! ts)continue;

printf("delete %d ", i);
PyEval_AcquireThread(ts);
Py_Finalize(); ///shut down interpreaters ,crash here
PyEval_ReleaseLock();
Sleep(10);
printf(" ok\n");
}
Sleep(1500);
printf("exit...\n");
}

each interpreater uses the same python script:

class MyTimer(object):
def __init__(self, interval, function, args=[], kwargs={}):
self.interval = interval
self.function = function
self.args = args
self.kwargs = kwargs

def start(self):
self.stop()
import threading
self._timer = threading.Timer(self.interval, self._run)
self._timer.setDaemon(True)
self._timer.start() ### start a python thread, keep running

def restart(self):
self.start()

def stop(self):
if self.__dict__.has_key("_timer"):
self._timer.cancel()
del self._timer

def _run(self):
try:
self.function(strs)
except:
pass
self.restart()

abc= MyTimer(aaa,xxx);
abc.start();

Lie Ryan

myopc said:
hi, all
I am ruuning a c++ program (boost python) , which create many python
interpreaters and each run a python script with use multi-thread
(threading).
when the c++ main program exit, I want to shut down python
interpreaters, but it crashed. I have googled a lot but cant get any clue.
here is my code, your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

There is no clean way to terminate a thread cleanly from outside. You
need to let the thread terminates by itself. If it is a pure python
code, this can be done by one of:
1) setting a global/thread stop value that is checked by each threads
2) inserting a QUIT event to the event-loop

I have never used boost before, so I don't know what it can and cannot
do from outside the python's interpreter. However, this should give you
an idea of what to do...

myopc

thanks for your reply!

Lie Ryan said:
There is no clean way to terminate a thread cleanly from outside. You
need to let the thread terminates by itself. If it is a pure python
code, this can be done by one of:
1) setting a global/thread stop value that is checked by each threads
2) inserting a QUIT event to the event-loop

I have never used boost before, so I don't know what it can and cannot
do from outside the python's interpreter. However, this should give you
an idea of what to do...

Floris Bruynooghe

  I am ruuning a c++ program (boost python) , which create many python
interpreaters and each run a python script with use multi-thread
(threading).
when the c++ main program exit, I want to shut down python interpreaters,
but it crashed.

Your threads are daemonic, you could be seeing http://bugs.python.org/issue1856
You'll have to check your stack in a debugger to know. But as said
this can be avoided by making the threads finish themself and joining
them.

Regards
Floris

myopc

thanks,
I use gdb to debug, and cant find any symbol in the stack.
I wanna to exit from outside python, without tell anything to the
interpreator,
but it seems impossible

"Floris Bruynooghe" <[email protected]>
:6deac4c8-b208-4fbf-8098-8dc7af7f881b@r34g2000vba.googlegroups.com...