Multi-user quiz show game

Alex Li

Hi all,

I would like to create a quiz show game for play in a party. The
physical setup would probably be a big screen where everyone (players
and host) can see, which shows a question, and a multiple choice of
answer. The player, with a client computer and keyboard in front,
will press a key to pick an answer. The client program, will then
send the player's choice through the wire to the server program. The
server program will validate the player's answer and the one that is
correct and fastest will get a point. Then we go on to the next
questions...etc.

Some more specific requirements:
1) the programm will probably run on some windows machines
2) need unicode support (ie. questions and answers will be shown in
Chinese)
3) the display will be a full screen display (ie, no window's toolbar
or taskbar shown)

My current thinking is:
1) Use twisted for the networking code
2) Use wxpython for the screen display

My questions are:
Does anyone have any recommendation of what frameworks/libraries to
use? I am kind of worry about mixing all these libraries/frameworks
together for them to play nicely... Would pygame help simplify?

Thanks a lot,
Alex

PiedmontBiz

From: (e-mail address removed) (Alex Li)
Date: 3/1/04 2:51 PM Eastern Standard T
Hi all,

[...]

I'll let the experts answer this one. But I have a question. Do you rule out a
http server ? If I were doing this I would avoid the apparent complexity
wxpython and just use standard html and javascript to pass the answers to the
server. The python script could record time it got the "get" and return it with
the validation.

allen

Diez B. Roggisch

Does anyone have any recommendation of what frameworks/libraries to
use? I am kind of worry about mixing all these libraries/frameworks
together for them to play nicely... Would pygame help simplify?

I did s/t similar, using twisted and pygame- worked great. I just checked if
pygame supports chinese characters - it does! At least on my linux-box,
with a chinese ttf I can get it to work. I actually had to use a chinese
spam - who could have thought that spam can be actually useful?

However, consider what allen said.

Alex Li

I'll let the experts answer this one. But I have a question. Do you rule out a
http server ? If I were doing this I would avoid the apparent complexity
wxpython and just use standard html and javascript to pass the answers to the
server. The python script could record time it got the "get" and return it with
the validation.

allen

Thanks, Allen! Your solution is actually quite attractive, as it just
simplify the whole thing a lot.... I would consider it very
seriously...

Thanks again,
Alex

Alex Li

Diez B. Roggisch said:
I did s/t similar, using twisted and pygame- worked great. I just checked if
pygame supports chinese characters - it does! At least on my linux-box,
with a chinese ttf I can get it to work. I actually had to use a chinese
spam - who could have thought that spam can be actually useful?

However, consider what allen said.

Thanks for your info, Diez. I agreed that Allen's suggestion is very
attractive, I am seriously considering it... Anyhow, it is good to
know htat pygame + chinese + twisted worked great :)

bobb

to add to what allen said, I'd just use the f11 key to fullscreen the
browser, also.

PiedmontBiz

I'll let the experts answer this one. But I have a question. Do you rule

I was going to do this for my own curiosity, maybe a pythonics syntax quiz.

But I wondered, if this was done over the internet rather than an intranet
setup, how could a server script take into consideration the time it takes for
a response to travel for the user to the server? Two or more users could submit
the correct answer at the same galactic standard time yet their responses would
be routed differently to the server.

Allen

Allen