MulticastSocket.send blocks for more than 28 secs on solaris

Discussion in 'Java' started by Suresh, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Suresh

    Suresh Guest

    Hi,

    I am sorry if this question has been raised earlier, but I could not find
    any convencing answer till now.

    I have a program that tries to send UDP packets (Multicast) as fast as
    possible. But on my solaris system the "send" function somtimes blocks for
    nearly 28-30 secs. This never happens on my linux system, (the send usually
    takes 1 or 2 msec on linux system).

    I have the following configuration:

    Solaris:

    $ uname -a
    SunOS solaris 5.8 Generic_117350-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210 Solaris
    $ java -version
    java version "1.5.0_05"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode)

    Linux:
    $ uname -a
    Linux linux 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL #1 Thu Oct 27 12:26:11 CDT 2005 i686 i686 i386
    GNU/Linux
    $ java -version
    java version "1.5.0_05"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

    The datagram packet size is 1442 bytes.

    Is this a normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong ? Is there any
    workarround to avoid these blocks ?

    Thanks for your help,
    Suresh.

    Suresh, Dec 8, 2005

  2. I have experienced some problems like that in the past with some
    hardwares (the OS was linux, but I don't think it was related with
    that).
    I would make some tests with Solaris on other machines if I were you.

    Zechin

    Rodrigo Zechin, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Suresh

    Suresh Guest

    > I would make some tests with Solaris on other machines if I were you.

    I dont have too many machines to test.

    Suresh, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Suresh

    Joan Guest

    "Suresh" <no-emails> wrote in message
    >> I would make some tests with Solaris on other machines if I
    >> were you.

    > I dont have too many machines to test.

    can you try with smaller packet size?

    Joan, Dec 9, 2005