Multilines in language properties

Samuel Murray

G'day everyone

I'm not a Java programmer -- I'm a translator translating Java
properties files. I lead a project to help volunteer translators
translate opensource programs into their languages, and we'd like to
translate a program that uses non-standard multilines in properties
files.

I was hoping one of you could either tell me the answer or point me to
a URL with the answer to this question: what is the correct format
for multiple lines, and for multiple lines with line breaks, in a
properties file?

The non-standard properties file I have looks like this:

one = two three
+ four five
+ six seven

and I suspect that a standard properties file will look something like
this:

one = two three\
four five\
six seven

but I'm not 100% sure. And what if those line breaks should be real
breaks (hard returns, CRLFs, etc)? Do Java properties files use \n or
something similar?

Thanks in advance
Samuel Murray (leuce)

Jeff Higgins

Samuel said:
G'day everyone

I'm not a Java programmer -- I'm a translator translating Java
properties files. I lead a project to help volunteer translators
translate opensource programs into their languages, and we'd like to
translate a program that uses non-standard multilines in properties
files.

I was hoping one of you could either tell me the answer or point me to
a URL with the answer to this question: what is the correct format
for multiple lines, and for multiple lines with line breaks, in a
properties file?

Mark Space

Samuel said:
one = two three
+ four five
+ six seven

Be careful here that the program doesn't expect to see the property
"one" associated with the string "two three + four five + six seven".

Otherwise, something like:

one = two three \
four five \
six seven

is probably what you want. Note the space before the \ to get spaces
between words. End of line can be either \n or \r\n.

Roedy Green

I'm not a Java programmer -- I'm a translator translating Java
properties files. I lead a project to help volunteer translators
translate opensource programs into their languages, and we'd like to
translate a program that uses non-standard multilines in properties
files.
These materials may be helpful to you:

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/properties.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/localisation.html
http://mindprod.com/project/internationaliser.html

I had composed a detailed plan for a translation tool you may find
interesting. You also might want to hire me to implement it for you.

Samuel Murray

G'day Mark

Be careful here that the program doesn't expect to
see the property "one" associated with the string
"two three + four five + six seven".

Thanks for pointing that out. No, I checked the GUI and the plusses
should not be there.
Note the space before the \ to get spaces between
words. End of line can be either \n or \r\n.

Yes, the link Jeff gave also made me realise that leading spaces are
ignored. Therefore, to have a space between the words on both lines,
the space must precede the slash, and not simply precede the first
word on the next line. I also see that the space before the slash is
not compulsory -- you only need it of you need to have a space in the
line.

I suspect that for my purposes, \n would be sufficient to indicate
real breaks in the GUI.

Thanks again.
Samuel (leuce)

Jeff Higgins

Samuel said:
G'day Mark

Thanks for pointing that out. No, I checked the GUI and the plusses
should not be there.

Yes, the link Jeff gave also made me realise that leading spaces are
ignored. Therefore, to have a space between the words on both lines,
the space must precede the slash, and not simply precede the first
word on the next line. I also see that the space before the slash is
not compulsory -- you only need it of you need to have a space in the
line.

I suspect that for my purposes, \n would be sufficient to indicate
real breaks in the GUI.

one = two three\n\ <-- (the properties file processor) only requires this
three four\n\ (unseen) line terminator == \n, or \r, or \r\n.
five six\r\ <-- (the GUI) may choke on this \r
7 8

Jeff Higgins

Samuel said:
I suspect that for my purposes, \n would be sufficient to indicate
real breaks in the GUI.

one = two three\n\ <-- (the properties file processor) only requires this
three four\n\ (unseen) line terminator == \n, or \r, or \r\n.
five six\r\ <-- (the GUI) may choke on this \r
7 8

If I've understood your comment.

Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray wrote:
one = two three\n\ <-- (the properties file processor) only requires this
three four\n\ (unseen) line terminator == \n, or \r, or \r\n.
five six\r\ <-- (the GUI) may choke on this \r

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks. \n for the break in the GUI and
another slash for the break in the code.

Samuel (leuce)